The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

There were no releases from any of the big names at the end of March (when all new watches are announced) that made me interested to buy anything, and now I'm starting to seriously consider retirement I'll probably become a seller rather than a buyer. The situation is ridiculous now, if you can get them then some watches are trading at multiples of retail price, so if you sell them the week after its serious profit - although doing that would get you blacklisted and you wouldn't get any more - but still, it's too tempting for a lot of people and it's happening a lot.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

What do we think of the Moonswatch then? A Speedmaster made by Omega's stablemate, Swatch. It's got a quartz movement and a plastic case but also costs 5% of what a real Speedo Pro does.

Have to admit I only heard of it cause there were scrums to get them last month. I kinda like the idea of a bright red "beater" Speedmaster though.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:53 am What do we think of the Moonswatch then? A Speedmaster made by Omega's stablemate, Swatch. It's got a quartz movement and a plastic case but also costs 5% of what a real Speedo Pro does.

Have to admit I only heard of it cause there were scrums to get them last month. I kinda like the idea of a bright red "beater" Speedmaster though.
I quite like it for the same reasons as you, a cheap daily wearer. I'm not prepared to pay a stupid premium for one though....
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:53 am What do we think of the Moonswatch then? A Speedmaster made by Omega's stablemate, Swatch. It's got a quartz movement and a plastic case but also costs 5% of what a real Speedo Pro does.

Fuck, they look brilliant.

I missed the boat tho', they've sold out at £200 and the ones for sale from the gougers are a grand!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

HEre you go...

I quite like the red and the yellow ones. They'd be a great "Brits on Tour" watch with my white frame sunglasses and t shirt :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 am

I quite like it for the same reasons as you, a cheap daily wearer. I'm not prepared to pay a stupid premium for one though....
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:12 am

I missed the boat tho', they've sold out at £200 and the ones for sale from the gougers are a grand!
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:14 am HEre you go...

I quite like the red and the yellow ones. They'd be a great "Brits on Tour" watch with my white frame sunglasses and t shirt :thumbup:

Yeah - I'm very likely to pick one up once the hoorah has died down a bit. According to what I've seen they're NOT a limited edition, they were just on a limited release when they first released them: ie only in flagship SWATCH retail locations. They'll be available online soon enough for as long as any other SWATCH. The gougers are just making profits off the fools who 'need' to have the latest greatest thing.

The thing is - each different model has a feature I like, but also a feature I don't like (or is missing a feature I'd like) - so I'm going to try to make sure I see them all in the flesh before I buy one. :) My main issue is with the inconsistencies: most of them feature colours from the palette of the planet they're named after (as seen from space) - but the Mars red is far too pink, and the Earth 'blue-green-aqua-whatever' is completely wrong (imho).
non quod, sed quomodo
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mixed feelings. Swatch own Omega but I think it's still a bit incestous. Not sure if it will damage the Omega brand or not. Time will tell.

Quite surprised it hasn't been mentioned on here before now.
v8-powered wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 am I quite like it for the same reasons as you, a cheap daily wearer. I'm not prepared to pay a stupid premium for one though....
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:12 am

Fret not chaps. They aren't a limiited edition and will all be available online soon.

I honestly have no idea why people are paying stupid money for them (if they are).

£200 can buy a decent watch, but they are plastic tat with a shit quartz movement. And the dye is already coming off the blue one apparently :D

Looking at it coldy, Swatch only need to sell 25 of them for one Moonwatch, and I bet the margins on the plastic tat are huge.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I bet the margins on real moon watches a fucking huge too :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:57 pm They aren't a limiited edition and will all be available online soon.
BUT I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:08 pm I bet the margins on real moon watches a fucking huge too :D
I've got a Speedmaster and the value of that has jumped according to Chrono24
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:08 pm I bet the margins on real moon watches a fucking huge too :D
Mine was £1600 back in 2005, adjusted for inflation that's about £2500. The same one is about £4500 on the highstreet now. I can't believe they've got £2000 more expensive to make, I'd bet the vast vast majority of that is just extra profit "because they can".
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:12 pm
v8-powered wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Mine was £1600 back in 2005, adjusted for inflation that's about £2500. The same one is about £4500 on the highstreet now. I can't believe they've got £2000 more expensive to make, I'd bet the vast vast majority of that is just extra profit "because they can".
Agree, things are only worth what someone will pay for them.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't know anything about the MoonSwatch but I really like the idea of them, anything that gets people into horology at a decent price point has to be a good thing.

Some of the moaners on the watch forums are frothing about them, but I don't see why, it's not hurting them and it's nothing more than snobbery from people that think they're a cut above.

Surely the movement is an ETA?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I bet the overall margin is a lot less that 25 bits of chinese made* tat. :D

*probably.

I don't know. Perhaps it's marketing genius, but I can't help thinking there's a very good reason the brands have always been kept separate.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:22 pm Surely the movement is an ETA?
Well I'd guess it's an ETA movement in that Swatch are part of ETA are they not? but it's a quartz for sure.
wheelnut wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:25 pm
I bet the overall margin is a lot less that 25 bits of chinese made* tat. :D

*probably.

I don't know. Perhaps it's marketing genius, but I can't help thinking there's a very good reason the brands have always been kept separate.
I dunno - if my thinking is correct, they make a few grand of profit on every Speedmaster. They'd have to sell 10 Moonswatches to even turn over 2k?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:22 pm I don't know anything about the MoonSwatch but I really like the idea of them, anything that gets people into horology at a decent price point has to be a good thing.
Objection your Honour!

Horology is 'the study and measurement of time' and 'the art of making clocks and watches'.

As the buyer (nodded once too often at an auction) and mender of a range of 'basket case' old clocks I don't think buying a few watches counts. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:33 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:22 pm I don't know anything about the MoonSwatch but I really like the idea of them, anything that gets people into horology at a decent price point has to be a good thing.
Objection your Honour!

Horology is 'the study and measurement of time' and 'the art of making clocks and watches'.

As the buyer (nodded once too often at an auction) and mender of a range of 'basket case' old clocks I don't think buying a few watches counts. :lol:
I do have some tools, a timegrapher, and a passing interest on how stuff works, but I'm not a proper horologist.
I'm not a proper biker either apparently.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:33 pm
Objection your Honour!

I do have some tools, a timegrapher, and a passing interest on how stuff works, but I'm not a proper horologist.
I'm not a proper biker either apparently.
'Bikers' ride bikes so you're as 'proper' as anyone else. :thumbup:

I do have one clock that I dare not faff with and, judging by what the 'proper' local horologist charges to service and repair it, I sometimes think I made the wrong career choice. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:29 pm
I dunno - if my thinking is correct, they make a few grand of profit on every Speedmaster. They'd have to sell 10 Moonswatches to even turn over 2k?
I would imagine they’ll sell 200 moonswatches for every moon watch.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I'd only like a MoonSwatch as have fond memories of owning a Swatch Turquoise Bay when I was a yoof many years ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133917702167 ... bcQAvD_BwE