Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
JackyJoll

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:43 am Is this banter? I feel uncomfortable seeing a group of people join in together to be unnecessarily mean to just one person.
Perhaps there is a word for it.
He raised a religious subject and is prepared to discuss it.

It is rather ironic, that a Christian church should treat its employees so badly. That one-off lump sum is equivalent to a middle manager’s annual income from some workplace pensions.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I dont think you can draw parallels with a regular job. Being part of a church is deffo a calling rather than a career. When i used to sell cars for a living they always said Vicars and Squaddies weren't credit worthy as the house came with the job and finance companies wouldn't lend to either. Might have changed now though? I did sell a couple of cars to Vicars though, cash on the hip types and many a collection plate joke was cracked from both sides! :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yeah as a soldier I sometimes couldn’t even get insured, let alone a car loan.
Bizarre really because you’ve got more job security than most and it used to be that your OC will come down heavily on you if they get complaints that you defaulted on debt.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I worked in charity sector for 25 years before becoming a priest. I think it is interesting to see the differences in pensions, used to be a lot better for priests, but they started cutting back. My wife and I have a house paid off. That is the bonus thing for us. Some priests have to rely on Charm housing (Church of England houses that they rent on) after retiring, and others live with family. It is a mixed batch now. More of us are coming later on it life after making some money and so on.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:27 pm I worked in charity sector for 25 years before becoming a priest. I think it is interesting to see the differences in pensions, used to be a lot better for priests, but they started cutting back. My wife and I have a house paid off. That is the bonus thing for us. Some priests have to rely on Charm housing (Church of England houses that they rent on) after retiring, and others live with family. It is a mixed batch now. More of us are coming later on it life after making some money and so on.
Aha. So the priest pension looks a bit poor, but you've not been in it too long?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Potter wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:47 am Yeah as a soldier I sometimes couldn’t even get insured, let alone a car loan.
Bizarre really because you’ve got more job security than most and it used to be that your OC will come down heavily on you if they get complaints that you defaulted on debt.
I think it's more to do with the chances of being killed rather than defaulting on a debt.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:12 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:47 am Yeah as a soldier I sometimes couldn’t even get insured, let alone a car loan.
I think it's more to do with the chances of being killed rather than defaulting on a debt.

I never had any issues getting insured or a bank loan when I was in.

From 1946 to the late 80s/early 90s more soldiers had died in road traffic accidents than in combat.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:07 pm
From 1946 to the late 80s/early 90s more soldiers had died in road traffic accidents than in combat.
In the late 70' a friend was a physio and worked at a military rehab. Roughly 70 patients, only 1 wasn't a failed motorcyclist.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I thought I'd Google it:

754 killed in Palestine
1442 Malaya
1129 Korea

The list goes on, there's a lot of dead servicemen and women, 7190 from the end of WW2 up to 2001.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... r_II-O.pdf

I found this article on the subject:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/17553 ... istory-spt
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The reasons given for no HP for squaddies was because they were hard to find if they defaulted and a lot weren't on the electoral role for credit checks etc. Plus the possibility of redeployment, including overseas, within the credit term. I guess within that could have included death in a warzone, but I never heard that mentioned? This was in the 80s though and things are probably different now due to things like personal credit scores? Back then houses could and did get blacklisted for credit if one resident defaulted!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:48 pm
I thought I'd Google it:

754 killed in Palestine
1442 Malaya
1129 Korea

The list goes on, there's a lot of dead servicemen and women, 7190 from the end of WW2 up to 2001.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... r_II-O.pdf

I found this article on the subject:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/17553 ... istory-spt

From 1987 - 1991 I had access to all the numbers. I don't now.

Suicide was rare when I was serving (that's purely anecdotal - I knew of only one in 23 years) but in the 1st Armd Div in Germany, in one 10 month period 1988/9 we had 39 fatalities from RTAs and other accidents involving vehicles. I brought it to the attention of the GOC so we could get some money for campaigns.

We were making progress however, we had access to a Cedegrins 'Skid Car' for training soldiers who would be driving on Exercise Snow Queen in Bavaria and numerous BAOR campaigns. The basic problem though was that the army wanted aggressive soldiers but defensive drivers.

It's a smaller army now of course but I think RTA fatalities are still a significant issue.
Horse

Post by Horse »

It's not just UK armed forces. The US military worked with the MSF to develop training to try and reduce numbers.

USAF had a rule: to ride a motorcycle on the base (ie to work, or accommodation), that service person had to have completed an approved course.

We (MSF) used to train at Upper Heyford. When that closed, we moved to Fairford. Later, the base commander wouldn't allow training on the base.

Therefore, no more bikes on the base = reduction in bike casualties.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

You’re kind of overthinking it.

If soldiers can’t get insurance or loans, it’s because of stats, from actuaries.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 pm You’re kind of overthinking it.

If soldiers can’t get insurance or loans, it’s because of stats, from actuaries.

As I mentioned earlier, I never had any problems.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:49 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 pm You’re kind of overthinking it.

As I mentioned earlier, I never had any problems.
I only said “if.” For all I know, soldiers can get insurance and loans and their cash is good at the bar.
Potter

Post by Potter »

My son is in the army and nineteen, he can’t get insured at all on our Range Rover and we cannot get a quote lower than £6k per year for our Landrover Defender.

On the flip side he has loads of time to build up a pension…
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` “Tommy third party only!”

https://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poem/poems_tommy.htm
Potter

Post by Potter »

If you can keep your no claims when all about you are losing theirs…
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:16 am So how/when do Priests retire? I kinda assumed the calling wouldn't just dissappear when you hit a certain age.
Retirement is at 70, and then we can have PTO (Permission to Officiate), covering weddings, services, funerals etc.. which is what I intend to do if I am physically, mentally and spiritually fit. I would move away from where I had held a position so as to not make life difficult for the next incumbent.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

the_priest wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:37 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:16 am So how/when do Priests retire? I kinda assumed the calling wouldn't just dissappear when you hit a certain age.
Retirement is at 70, and then we can have PTO (Permission to Officiate), covering weddings, services, funerals etc.. which is what I intend to do if I am physically, mentally and spiritually fit. I would move away from where I had held a position so as to not make life difficult for the next incumbent.
I think I'd quite like having a handy locum tbh.

'Oi! Gerald, can you do a wedding this w/e? I've been invited to Goodwood'.
'Oh, and if you can manage the wardens for the next few years, that'd be :thumbup: Ta.'
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire