Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mangocrazy

Re: Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Post by mangocrazy »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:39 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:02 am Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Sheffield anymore...

Yes, I got so pissed off with the English (lack of) summer that I legged it down to the south of France. On the VFR...
Not sure about your timing,it's been raining at some time or all of the day for what seems like forever,but since last Friday it's been lovely around here,West Lancs & the 7 day forecast is more sunny weather :thumbup:
My old FZ750 has a hydraulic clutch & it has a near permanent leak on the clutch slave cylinder,I think the seal fails due to grit & muck being flung at it.Is it a common problem on the VFR? My XJR owning mate says that they're also known to fail.
Yes, take your point. I was intending to get away in the second week of July but persistent delays and setbacks in the installation of a central heating boiler meant I could only leave this week. Boiler installed Friday, I'm on the boat the following Monday.

Pretty sure that the slave cylinder is the problem. I replaced the seal a few years back but it's never really been right. I'm wondering if the bore of the slave has some pitting or scratches that allows fluid to seep past. Or it could just be a failing seal, as you say. I think I have a spare slave seal somewhere in the garage. If so, I'll swap it out and see what the state of the slave bore is like.

And to add insult to injury, the bike wouldn't run much above 100mph and was as flat as a fart much after a quarter throttle. Acceleration was pants, but the bike would hold 6-7k rpm up the hills but no more. I have a feeling I may have adjusted the choke cable 'tight' so it's permanently on, albeit only to a degree. If it's not that it's (another) carb tear down.

And when brimming the tank, fuel runs out of the overflow until it's down to three-quarters(ish) full. I suspect it has a small split in the internal tank overflow pipe. So it's definitely tank off time, as well.

Apart from that - no problems! :)
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Depending what's failed inside the tank and how, there's a chance it's letting water into the tank, too. Not sure that would explain poor running at high speed, but still something to think about. What's availability on a used tank look like?

With that and the clutch and carbs both giving "old bike" shit, maybe the bike is trying to gently hint that it too is too old for this shit?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:35 pm With that and the clutch and carbs both giving "old bike" shit, maybe the bike is trying to gently hint that it too is too old for this shit?
I'm definitely thinking along those lines as well. It's been a fine servant, but the problems do keep piling up.

Plus it's a lardy old lump and I think it's about time it was chopped in for something significantly lighter and newer. I'm thinking along the lines of a 10 y.o SV650 or similar.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:35 pm Depending what's failed inside the tank and how, there's a chance it's letting water into the tank, too. Not sure that would explain poor running at high speed, but still something to think about. What's availability on a used tank look like?
The tank has recently (within the last 2 years) been cleaned and given the epoxy lining treatment. That may or may not have a bearing on the current annoyances.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:02 pm I'm thinking along the lines of a 10 y.o SV650 or similar.
Faired one might work, but for those longer road trips something like a Dullville or NC700x or Transalp might make it feel less like hard work.

Panigale :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:07 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:02 pm I'm thinking along the lines of a 10 y.o SV650 or similar.
Faired one might work, but for those longer road trips something like a Dullville or NC700x or Transalp might make it feel less like hard work.

Panigale :bblonde:
I've pretty much decided (based on the current trip) that this is the last time I'll be doing big miles on the autoroutes. The scenery south of Clermont on the A75 is tremendous, but it doesn't make up for the physical slog. I'd ride a bike down to the French gaff, but make it a 3 or 4 (or 5) day trip on the N and D roads and see 'off the beaten track' France. So an SV would fit the bill nicely. The bikes you list aren't really that much lighter than the VFR, and bike weight (or lack of) is becoming more and important the older I get.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've just had the tank off and the choke cable is correctly tensioned and in the OFF position it's definitely off; so that (convenient) theory has been disproved. Which means that when I reasembled the carbs last month I most likely misplaced one of the carb diaphragm rubbers in its groove. Or possibly even two...

If I'm lucky (in the loosest sense of the word) the problem will be on one of the rear bank of carbs, as I can get at them without disturbing the carbs. If not, it's out with the whole set of carbs, and they are a twat to remove and an even bigger twat to replace. Ho hum.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:22 pm I'd ride a bike down to the French gaff, but make it a 3 or 4 (or 5) day trip on the N and D roads and see 'off the beaten track' France. So an SV would fit the bill nicely. The bikes you list aren't really that much lighter than the VFR, and bike weight (or lack of) is becoming more and important the older I get.
That's my attitude these days,I've no interest in dual carriageways or motorways so I don't need a heavy sports tourer.I'd rather take my time on the A & B roads over here & every time I've ridden in France it's involved RN's & D roads,avoiding the Autoroutes.
One of my mate's rides a BMW G/S & another a Hyabussa & they're both impressed with how well the little SV650 performs on the roads we ride.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:35 pm Depending what's failed inside the tank and how, there's a chance it's letting water into the tank, too. Not sure that would explain poor running at high speed, but still something to think about. What's availability on a used tank look like?

With that and the clutch and carbs both giving "old bike" shit, maybe the bike is trying to gently hint that it too is too old for this shit?

Classic problem with the old SV650s. Internal pipe used to get blocked and hold water and eventually rust through. Heavy rain saw water get into the tank and cause running problems.

I "lined" my internal pipe with air hose from a fish tank aeration pump, sealing it at both ends with a smear of epoxy and cutting off the excess pipe afterwards iyswim? The even smaller bore pipe was prone to clogging but a bit of strimmer wire kept it clear. :thumbup:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:34 pm

Classic problem with the old SV650s. Internal pipe used to get blocked and hold water and eventually rust through. Heavy rain saw water get into the tank and cause running problems.

I "lined" my internal pipe with air hose from a fish tank aeration pump, sealing it at both ends with a smear of epoxy and cutting off the excess pipe afterwards iyswim? The even smaller bore pipe was prone to clogging but a bit of strimmer wire kept it clear. :thumbup:
The issue with the VFR is certainly related to the internal pipe that runs from the fuel filler area to the overflow pipe(s), but in my case it's not blocked, but has some kind of pinhole or corrosion that allows fuel to drip out of the overflow when the tank is filled past a certain point. I've checked on the parts fiche and the internal pipe isn't listed, so is obviously regarded as part and parcel of the tank.

At this point I think my only realistic option is to cap off the overflow pipe where it leaves the tank and make sure not to overfill the tank when fuelling up. Having fuel leaking out of the overflow after re-fuelling is not a long term option...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:09 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:34 pm

The issue with the VFR is certainly related to the internal pipe that runs from the fuel filler area to the overflow pipe(s), but in my case it's not blocked, but has some kind of pinhole or corrosion that allows fuel to drip out of the overflow when the tank is filled past a certain point. I've checked on the parts fiche and the internal pipe isn't listed, so is obviously regarded as part and parcel of the tank.

At this point I think my only realistic option is to cap off the overflow pipe where it leaves the tank and make sure not to overfill the tank when fuelling up. Having fuel leaking out of the overflow after re-fuelling is not a long term option...
On the Sv it was easy to check as the internal pipe exited at the back of the tank. So you blocked the hole by the petrol cap and blew up the pipe and if its didn't pressuraise you knew that was what it was.

The other thing that I've know happen is the internal pipe gets blocked and water fills up in the recess of the petrol cap, when you open the petrol cap in floods the water. So on an SV at least, you need to find out if the pipe was blocked or leaking. YMMV as the Yanks say....
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Options are two: run a plastic pipe inside the metal tube as @Taipan did, but you'll need fuel resistant epoxy if such thing really exists.

Or do what dad_morti did which is get inside the tank, cut the pipe out, and replace with a rubber hose with clamps each end. Admittedly that may not be physically possible on a carb bike, unless you have a child nearby that needs petrol under their fingernails.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've dug a bit further and established that the internal overflow pipe is metallic (not sure if it's steel or ali) and in typical Honda fashion is fiendishly difficult to get at, much less attach anything to. So I've taken the 'la la la can't hear you' approach and removed the external vent pipe and blocked the vent at the spigot using the head and shank of an M8 cap head bolt as a bung inside some petrol tubing. And whacked on a couple of stainless clamps just to make sure.

Once this goddam heat subsides I may start looking inside carburettors to see if I can find lost performance...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

How hard is it to remove or drain the tank? Soon see if there is water in the petrol then. Have you got any strimmer wire? Be good to push that through to check its not blocked.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:33 pm How hard is it to remove or drain the tank? Soon see if there is water in the petrol then. Have you got any strimmer wire? Be good to push that through to check its not blocked.
I'm very grateful for your continued interest, but I suspect you're viewing the problem on my VFR through the lens of similar (but not the same) issues that you've experienced with your SV650.

My problem is that I get a steady drip, drip, drip of petrol through the overflow pipe, but only when I've brimmed the tank or not far off (I don't know exactly at what point the dripping stops but it seems about when the tank is three quarters full). So the problem definitely involves the internal overflow pipe, but it's not that it's blocked (otherwise I wouldn't get the drip, drip, drip) but that there's a small hole or split in the internal pipe that allows fuel in the tank to make its way out of the overflow pipe when the tank is full(ish).

I've siphoned most of the fuel out of the tank and it's off the bike (it's actually sat on a pillow on a chair in the garage in France) as I also need to have a look at the carbs (when I CBA). I've attached a short length of braided fuel hose to the drain spigot underneath the tank and then jammed an M8 cap head bolt in the other end secured by a hose clamp as a temporary measure to stop the bloody thing from dripping.

I'd filled the tank prior to getting on the ferry, so it was dripping when I left it to go to my cabin, and it was still dripping six hours later when I came back to the bike. Some kind soul had organised a bucket so the fuel didn't drip on the deck, and there was probably about a quarter of a litre in the bucket. So off I rode, bike dripping fuel intermittently until the fuel level dropped below where the hole/split was in the internal pipe.

So as I don't wish to cause a major international fire incident I've capped it off in the best way I can and it will become Future Mango's problem.

Or somebody else's problem if I sell the bike (as I'm seriously thinking of doing).
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Do not give up on the VFR, you will regret it, I certainly do. My CB500 does everything I want, a Sv650 will too, but I really really miss the effortless surge of a VFR at10k.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:25 pm Do not give up on the VFR, you will regret it, I certainly do. My CB500 does everything I want, a Sv650 will too, but I really really miss the effortless surge of a VFR at10k.
You could always buy Mango's!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:27 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:25 pm Do not give up on the VFR, you will regret it, I certainly do. My CB500 does everything I want, a Sv650 will too, but I really really miss the effortless surge of a VFR at10k.
I will wait a bit, I don't want to buy a shed.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:31 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:27 pm
I will wait a bit, I don't want to buy a shed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It would be a major wrench for me to part with. For years it's been Mr Dependable when all about was troublesome. But the main problem these days is the weight (the stuff I'm dealing with will get resolved, I know) and that isn't so easily fixed. It's 205kg bone dry, add all fluids and a tank of petrol and it's 230kg and I'm finding that on the edge of manageable when pushing and parking it.

But I would miss the cam gear whine and the effortless way it devours distance (when on its A game...), the 90 degree V4 exhaust note with an aftermarket system and the way it can keep up with nominally much faster bikes.

I dunno. Maybe this 74 y.o. needs to hit the gym...