What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
millemille

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by millemille »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:59 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 pm
the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:39 pm Took a funeral for the wife of a man who was married to her for 65 years.

Setup another funeral date

Received news of another suicide

Collected wife,

Serious Q, do you have access to counselling when it all gets too much?
In short, very much so. I speak to someone each month and have access to counselling and support. I also have good fellow priests to talk with and we look upwards to Christ for help in our prayer life. It is not easy at times, but as the scripture says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
We practice what we preach.

And ClergySupportTrust are awesome in their work as well. I know the CEO and studied with him.
Did I see a photo you posted doing your thing in Rochester cathedral?

Is that your regular patch?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Docca wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:37 pm Had my 4th Covid jab this AM.

Not the Pfizer one, but some new combined thing.

Nothing too bad so far.
Got mine on Sunday. Not sure if I should be having it, as I had a general anesthetic a week ago? Academic now as we've just booked Sunday lunch up and I probably won't make it back in time?
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

So wifey asks me if I can fit a curtain rail at a customers house.
So i ask her what I need, just your usual tools she says.
We get to the house, it's a proper French town house, 12' ceilings, stone walls!
She also forgot to mention the water pipes that ran either side of the frame, or the fact that she hasn't read the fitting instructions for the rail.
So she wants a plinth fitted for the swags and tails to start with, which means I have to ream out some holes to miss the water pipes, then fashion some brackets, then discover the rail needs a centre support bracket if hanging from a plinth, so a bit more bodgery reqd.
So what I thought would be a nice simple hours work turned into 4 hrs of tongue biting and a very apologetic wife!
Still, a bottle of Cardhu better off!
David

Post by David »

Demannu wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:23 pm So wifey asks me if I can fit a curtain rail at a customers house.
So i ask her what I need, just your usual tools she says.
We get to the house, it's a proper French town house, 12' ceilings, stone walls!
She also forgot to mention the water pipes that ran either side of the frame, or the fact that she hasn't read the fitting instructions for the rail.
So she wants a plinth fitted for the swags and tails to start with, which means I have to ream out some holes to miss the water pipes, then fashion some brackets, then discover the rail needs a centre support bracket if hanging from a plinth, so a bit more bodgery reqd.
So what I thought would be a nice simple hours work turned into 4 hrs of tongue biting and a very apologetic wife!
Still, a bottle of Cardhu better off!
And a Hero badge romme! (just in case my other half reads this!)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

millemille wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:11 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 pm

Serious Q, do you have access to counselling when it all gets too much?
In short, very much so. I speak to someone each month and have access to counselling and support. I also have good fellow priests to talk with and we look upwards to Christ for help in our prayer life. It is not easy at times, but as the scripture says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

And ClergySupportTrust are awesome in their work as well. I know the CEO and studied with him.

I'm in the Rochester Diocese and was asked to be part of the service. I knew several of the deacons being Priested. I'm in Welling, Kent.

In the Cathedral again tomorrow as +Jonathan takes his seat as Bishop of Rochester. I'm just attending, but will be robed as will many other priests will be as well.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
David

Post by David »

I did a thing in the Rochester diocese...it involved a smal boat, a big boat, an arsehole (translates as boatyard owner) and a deader.......
millemille

Post by millemille »

the_priest wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:20 pm
millemille wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:11 pm

I'm in the Rochester Diocese and was asked to be part of the service. I knew several of the deacons being Priested. I'm in Welling, Kent.

In the Cathedral again tomorrow as +Jonathan takes his seat as Bishop of Rochester. I'm just attending, but will be robed as will many other priests will be as well.
My mother in law and step father in law (? Her second husband), when he was alive, were active members of the congregation at Rochester cathedral. They got married there in 2008 and his service of remembrance was held there last year, with drinks and nibbles in the crypt afterwards. They were friends with the Dean there who left a few years ago.

Don't think she goes as much these days, she lives at the Audley homes place at Mote House in Maidstone (aka God's waiting room, so long as you're white, Christian and well off).
David

Post by David »

Fitted Ikea knife rack.
Fitted shower riser.(too close to the tile bead first time, so now we have another hole)
Took down fancy light/fan unit that failed the third time we used it after moving in.
Fitted normal rose and pendant in it's place (bastard as all the holes were overlarge and cables short)
Tested removed fancy lamp/fan and found that original sparky had screwed the chocolate block onto the insulator on the cable ends rather than the conductor, so connection was just through touching cables.......both insulators have screw shaped dinks .....it works as it should but isn't going back up.
Had a shower.....managed to knock my glasses off the soap rack at which they broke in two.

We have just moved, so stuff like spare specs could be anywhere in one of four sites in un labelled boxes (not me, I kept saying to swmbo that boxes needed labelling, but.....)

So..I am wearing my prescription polaroids....and we are off to see the Seemonster (look it up...Weston super Mare).
First problem is that I cannot read the cash machine screen (polaroids) but hey ho, off we go and eventually we are back home ....and it is now dark, I am indoors and I have sunglasses on.
I should add that I have severe myopia (6.5 dioptres on one side) so have been wearing glasses since I was 5.
Try to get the lenses swapped out tommorow.
Happy days.

BTW Seemonster was interesting...but at £12.5 million it should be.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It was yesterday, but we booked up a family trip to New York. I didn't expect to get away with my kids at the same time ever again, but it looks like we've managed it! Proper stoked! :thumbup: Best bit is my wife will have my daughter to go shopping with, as last time it got a bit fraught cos I couldn't see the attraction of Macys and Bloomingdales etc. So that leaves my Son and Son-in-law and I to do more blokey things! :thumbup:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I went for a bike ride with some friends. Autumn is here.
Lockdown refugee
Taff

Post by Taff »

got the big hammer out and tapped it against the wall.

I've now got a big hole to fill :lol:

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:33 pm I went for a bike ride with some friends. Autumn is here.
Your friends are conkers?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Trinity765 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:33 pm I went for a bike ride with some friends. Autumn is here.
I know Autumn has arrived when they put the metal covers over the front windows of the ferry.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I tried, accidentally, to board a flight having taken my daughter's passport to the airport with me.

Looking on the bright side I got to see a lot of the back corridors in the airport that you never usually go in.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've done a load of cooking :D Mostly vegetables and veg stuffs. Also prepping for tomorrows cooking/baking session - I need to make some cakes for the visit to rehab friends on Weds and also some chinese meals to use up some ingredients. he chinese stuffs will probably mostly end up in the freezer for the winter 'cheat' meals :D :D

Oh, and apparently some folks think Smixxy is a man's name :o :o :lol: :lol: I mean, doing transfers I was always surprised when customers said "we weren't sure if you were going to be a guy or a girl" cos I always messaged saying that they'd know me as I had bright pink hair!!. But IRL I've never met anyone that gets that confused!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:07 pm I tried, accidentally, to board a flight having taken my daughter's passport to the airport with me.
I tried the same stunt but on a cross-channel ferry and with my wife's passport a couple of months ago.

I'm sure the end result was identical...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:07 pm I tried, accidentally, to board a flight having taken my daughter's passport to the airport with me.

Looking on the bright side I got to see a lot of the back corridors in the airport that you never usually go in.
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm
I tried the same stunt but on a cross-channel ferry and with my wife's passport a couple of months ago.

I'm sure the end result was identical...
I don't think you two are trying hard enough. Didn't BigYin (maybe someone else) go off for a Norway trip and make it across a few borders with the wrong passport??? :lol: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm I'm sure the end result was identical...
An almost entirely wasted day (and being on first name / whatsapp terms with a couple of - really helpful - Swissport staff)?
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 pm with the wrong passport???
There's a resemblance, but apparently I can't pass for my 15yr old daughter!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:00 pm I'm sure the end result was identical...
An almost entirely wasted day (and being on first name / whatsapp terms with a couple of - really helpful - Swissport staff)?
Ditto on the entirely wasted day - I got up at 3 am to ride the VFR down to Portsmouth for the 08:00 ferry, and when realising what a dick I'd been (and after having long conversations with Brittany Ferries staff), I rode back to Sheffield, By 11 a.m. I'd done over 400 miles on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year. And then the bike threw a hissy fit and refused to start. I started on the beers early that day...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.