What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Came home from hospital. I haven't slept or been to the toilet properly since being in there. So 3 hours kip and now a curry on the way. Dansak beats lactulose everytime! :thumbup:
Last edited by Taipan on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:42 pm 4 hour enduro then straight in the pool :)
Should have got off the bike first ffs! :roll:
Stupid boy. It needed a wash :thumbdown:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:30 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:42 pm 4 hour enduro then straight in the pool :)
Should have got off the bike first ffs! :roll:
Stupid boy. It needed a wash :thumbdown:
D'oh! A good point well made! :oops:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:38 pm I learned a lesson in trying new methods today. I've been taking old bathroom tiles down, a crowbar was fairly effective but then when it got in a tight space I switched to a hammer and bolster. That was hard work so I got the SDS drill out thinking it would be like a jack-hammer at roadworks. It was precise and gentle* and like the tiles were stuck on with blu-tac, why didn't I do that earlier.

* Compared with previous methods.
Is that with a 'chisel' type attachment or a drill bit?

Might be a stupid question, but I'm hoping to be in a position to need to remove some tiles soon so more info about a relatively simple way would be pretty awesome :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

Went with the doris to tescos early doors. Boo.
Had a fry up at the cafe. Woo
Came home and sharpened her butchers knives on the whetstone until they were cut paper sharp.
Helped the doris skin and butcher a deer.
Realised the bambi fridge was a bit grubby so cleaned that
Cleaned some brass in the tumbler
Fired up the bbq :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:38 pm I learned a lesson in trying new methods today. I've been taking old bathroom tiles down, a crowbar was fairly effective but then when it got in a tight space I switched to a hammer and bolster. That was hard work so I got the SDS drill out thinking it would be like a jack-hammer at roadworks. It was precise and gentle* and like the tiles were stuck on with blu-tac, why didn't I do that earlier.

Might be a stupid question, but I'm hoping to be in a position to need to remove some tiles soon so more info about a relatively simple way would be pretty awesome :D :D :D
My drill came with a cold chisel attachment so I switched it to hammer action only. Instead a the thumping action I expected it was more like many tiny taps and the tiles came away much easier than using the hand tools.
It's a 6kg 1500W drill, I don't know if smaller ones will do a good job.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653 ... 240v/6846h
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:07 pm

My drill came with a cold chisel attachment so I switched it to hammer action only. Instead a the thumping action I expected it was more like many tiny taps and the tiles came away much easier than using the hand tools.
Awesome. Mines a smidge smaller I think, but it did come with a chisel type bit, so if I get that far before winter, I'll give it a try :D

Did you tap around the edge of the tile or on the tile?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can probably buy huge blocks of marble on eBay for your next project if you look closely.
David

Post by David »

I bought a lidl one, specifically cos it has hammer only.
Project ( current) is to make a door way into the undercroft for storage ( subsidiary man cave).
Dug out the drill...first use after a year in a cupboard...it is flinging oil or grease everywhere. Poo and bottoms.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:26 pm
Awesome. Mines a smidge smaller I think, but it did come with a chisel type bit, so if I get that far before winter, I'll give it a try :D

I used it like a wedge to prise the tiles away from the wall.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

David wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am I bought a lidl one, specifically cos it has hammer only.
Project ( current) is to make a door way into the undercroft for storage ( subsidiary man cave).
Dug out the drill...first use after a year in a cupboard...it is flinging oil or grease everywhere. Poo and bottoms.
I'm having more luck with the Screwfix Titan range than Lidl tools, similar prices but a few Lidl bits have big design flaws.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:23 am

I used it like a wedge to prise the tiles away from the wall.
Awesome. Thank you loads.

Been debating putting new tiles on the old forever, as have only heard horror stories about removing old tiles. But, whilst I'd only 'lose' about 5-8mm on two walls leaving them on, I don't really have space to lose even that little!! (The shower 'room' is approx 1.6x1.5m :o )
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:25 am
David wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am I bought a lidl one, specifically cos it has hammer only.
I'm having more luck with the Screwfix Titan range than Lidl tools, similar prices but a few Lidl bits have big design flaws.
That Titan SDS is a chunky beast. Good value and a fair set of tools. :thumbup:
(Mentioned it before but I bought one for a particular job then sold it to a landscaper and bought something with a clutch because I really didn't want a 6in core drill jamming without one! He broke it :shock: ).

I've found that getting the tiles off is sometimes the easy bit, it's when the mortar sticks to the wall better than it does to the tile that the chisel bit gets deployed.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:33 am
(Mentioned it before but I bought one for a particular job then sold it to a landscaper and bought something with a clutch because I really didn't want a 6in core drill jamming without one! He broke it :shock: ).

I've found that getting the tiles off is sometimes the easy bit, it's when the mortar sticks to the wall better than it does to the tile that the chisel bit gets deployed.
I've just been looking at the mortar left behind, there's not much of it but I can't quite work out if it sticks out further than where the skim will come out to. The lazy part of me thinks leave it and see but if find it's a problem while plastering I'll be really pissed off with myself.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:33 am

I've just been looking at the mortar left behind, there's not much of it but I can't quite work out if it sticks out further than where the skim will come out to. The lazy part of me thinks leave it and see but if find it's a problem while plastering I'll be really pissed off with myself.
I vaguely remember a tiler just going tappity-tap with a smallish ball pein hammer on a few likely problem areas. After a while they disintegrated. (He was removing a smallish area in a tiled wall to replace a lighting pelmet over a sink though rather than the whole lot so it was a relatively delicate operation. He removed the individual tiles in the same way, just tappity-tap and took them off in pieces).
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Only as i already have a multitool

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just me and baby D today, Mrs D is away shooting runners* and she has the car.

Baby D and I walked down to one of the community orchards here in MK, there's a small one 10 mins from my house. It's got maybe 10 apple trees and 4 or 5 trees which seldom fruit. 3 are medlar, aka dog arse fruits.

The other 2 are groaning with what I think are quinces? Touch larger than an apple and fuzzy like a peach. I've never seen those two trees in fruit before. There were also very few apples, so maybe the weather this year has something to do with it.

Sadly I'm not sure I'm in the market for quince, but I might have to change my mind given the free bounty on offer.

*With a camera ;)
cheb

Post by cheb »

Have you got a runcuble spoon?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If they're rock hard quinces, poach them gently, slice them into decent wedges and use them in a Moroccan style tagine/casserole, bit of cumin, ginger, cinnamon, ras el hanout sort of thing. Yum.

(Some varieties soften much faster than others, the ones like rocks are :thumbup: for this. Must check the Thursday market if they're in season).
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Pool at 20.......manned up and got in!
Amazing how fast you can swim to warm up!