What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Demannu

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Demannu »

Did a lot of swearing at the pressure valve on the bottom of the immersion heater.
Got the valve on no problems, but the mains feed pipe didnt want to line up, then, after 30 mins of grunting and swearing, success. Nipped it up with the stilsons, turned the water back on, yep, water everywhere.
Took it all apart, dug out my box of fibre washers.........oh you didnt think it would be that easy!
Had to nip into town for more washers.
So, fight with the feed again, only 15mins this time, and we have a non leaky hot water system.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

O.M.G - I do miss a good roast dinner!!!
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:19 pm Cooked roast dinner for colleagues at work.

0E51229E-3AC9-46F9-AD05-FB99DD330BC2.jpeg
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Arty farty day session, pastels.

Still life took about 2 hours, sea about 1.5, apple about 30 minutes.
20220911_191513.jpg
20220911_191513.jpg (610.94 KiB) Viewed 327 times
20220911_191608.jpg
20220911_191608.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 327 times
20220911_191400.jpg
20220911_191400.jpg (861.57 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

This morning led a Holy Communion service with 5 Baptisms. The real joy was I Baptised the baby of someone I Baptised as an adult last year, really special to do the same for her child. 160 people in Church, prayers for HLM and the Royal Family. We sung God save the King at the end of the service. Because of the numbers we had to use the reserve sacraments as well, so I did a short service to consecrate more things afterwards.

Also blessed some water for a lady from Latvia to take home.

Home for a quick lunch at nearly 2pm, then back to church for 4pm service followed by 6.30pm Holy Communion and then prayer for Ukraine.

Back at home now after a fairly long day. Need to work on sermon for Sunday and much more besides.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:21 pm This morning led a Holy Communion service with 5 Baptisms. The real joy was I Baptised the baby of someone I Baptised as an adult last year, really special to do the same for her child. 160 people in Church, prayers for HLM and the Royal Family. We sung God save the King at the end of the service. Because of the numbers we had to use the reserve sacraments as well, so I did a short service to consecrate more things afterwards.

Also blessed some water for a lady from Latvia to take home.

Home for a quick lunch at nearly 2pm, then back to church for 4pm service followed by 6.30pm Holy Communion and then prayer for Ukraine.

Back at home now after a fairly long day. Need to work on sermon for Sunday and much more besides.
Not everyone will agree with your faith and your job, but you must get so much joy about helping folk.

Keep up the good work.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Felix wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:06 am Someone ran out of Cuprinol? :D

No..just enthusiasm.

Give me a break, it’s only been like that 3 years. Plenty of time yet.

Actually it’s next doors fault. In spite of it being treated timber and only a few years old they decided to paint which of course encouraged her indoors to suggest we do the same.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Got up at 0500, drove to Gatwick, got on a flight delayed by an hour, flew to Alicante, picked up hire car and drove some more, went shopping for supplies, had some dinner, few pints at an Irish bar and now finally hope to get some sleep as it’s still very warm :obscene-drinkingcheers: :thumbup:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Went shopping then walked up to Green park to look at Buck House but it was too busy….sad vibe .
Got on a 15 and came home ….
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:14 pm I went to the valley to see a friend. Chatted for a few hours and saw some other friends whilst I was there. Had the best ride down the mountain to get there that I've had so far. All so positive

Sadly, on the way back, in a bit of road that has been narrowed by a junction due to road works, there'd been a serious accident. Motorbike,huge thing with luggage, so some kind of tourer, couldn't see much as - it was narrow, rider and pillion down, camper blocking one side of the narrowed road and people directing traffic. And, bike was the other side of the concrete barriers separating the road and roadworks section (from the position, very unlikely it had been dragged there by the people who stopped) :( :( Not sure why, but there were a couple of cars stopped to the side as well as the camper, so Im guessing there was a car/bike interaction :(
Just found a very brief comment in an online paper that both bikers were taken to hospital injured, one seriously

Now I'm just kicking myself for not stopping to offer some comfort as no one on scene was near the bikers

Need to find some bikers here to find out if that is the norm or just because no one knew what to do??
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Found out the distance between the earth's lowest and highest surface points is only 12.2 miles. I thought it'd be more than that for some reason?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:28 pm Found out the distance between the earth's lowest and highest surface points is only 12.2 miles. I thought it'd be more than that for some reason?
If the Earth was reduced to the size of a snooker ball, it would be smoother than a snooker ball, or something.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:28 pm Found out the distance between the earth's lowest and highest surface points is only 12.2 miles. I thought it'd be more than that for some reason?
Today I found out that Japan has longer coastline than Australia despite being only 5% of size in area :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Today I found out that Japan has longer coastline than Australia despite being only 5% of size in area :)
Depends who's figures you use.

World Resources Institute reckons Aus has double the coastline Japan does.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Took the car to get a new exhaust made for it.
Stripped, inspected and rebuilt the clutch on my Kawasaki.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:55 pm
Depends who's figures you use.

World Resources Institute reckons Aus has double the coastline Japan does.
Although Australia has more than 20 times more land area than Japan, Japan actually has a longer coastline according to the World Factbook. The World Factbook, published by the CIA, lists Australia’s coastline at 25,760 km (16,007 miles) and Japan’s at 29,751 km (18,486 miles).

As you can see in the graphic above, Japan fits comfortably inside of Australia. So, how is it possible that it has a longer coastline?

Australia is mostly one large island (I know it’s not technically an island) with the majority of its land inside the coastal boundary. In comparison, Japan is made up of 6,852 islands and has a wildly meandering coastline. The meandering coastline brings up an interesting challenge when measuring coastlines: they’re not straight lines.

It’s easy to measure straight lines, the length is always the shortest distance from the beginning to the end. Measuring curved lines involved more complicated math. To simplify the problem, the curved lines are broken up into short straight lines that approximately represent the actual shape.

The fewer the lines, the easier the calculation:
japan_australia.png
japan_australia.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:02 pm Took the car to get a new exhaust made for it.
Stripped, inspected and rebuilt the clutch on my Kawasaki.
After some thought I've decided to buy a complete set of steel plates, I think my existing ones might be warped, £33 including postage for 8 steel plates, I've got a spare set of new fibre plates.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Norway knocks 'em both into a cocked hat. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

And you can thanks Slartibartfast for that, he even won an award for it, and signed his name.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:54 pm
Norway knocks 'em both into a cocked hat. :D
I assume Lesotho didn't make the top five?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

And what I have I done today apart from faffing around and prevaricating?

Wasting my life isn't a very flattering answer.