Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:07 pm
Anyways I reckon you get the £1k/month worth of pleasure out of it all really. :thumbup:
I'm not complaining matey :) I may well be completely wrong in my thoughts and completely different to many many of the people in here and in the world. But if my last 2 years spending mean i spend 6 months at the end having some fat nurse wiping my arse in a NHS bed that smells of piss, then so be it... I'm giving my lad his dream and doing everything in my powers to give him his future dreams too... I wouldn't change how i'm doing all of this, not for a single second.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:18 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:54 pm For those that are still taking an interest, this article discusses how much you need in the pot for a hypothetical 'comfortable' retirement. What the effect of inflation and account charges are etc etc. The numbers might come as a shock to some. :D

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/markets-insi ... nAj_OezAHu
£43,000 a year without a mortgage ? That seems wildly high to me ?

It is wildly high in my world aswel.
Yamaha rocket 3
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:07 pm
Anyways I reckon you get the £1k/month worth of pleasure out of it all really. :thumbup:
I'm not complaining matey :) I may well be completely wrong in my thoughts and completely different to many many of the people in here and in the world. But if my last 2 years spending mean i spend 6 months at the end having some fat nurse wiping my arse in a NHS bed that smells of piss, then so be it... I'm giving my lad his dream and doing everything in my powers to give him his future dreams too... I wouldn't change how i'm doing all of this, not for a single second.
...and, at the same time, there will be squillionaires spending their last 6 months in the lap of luxury that haven't experienced half the pleasure (and pain!) out of what they've earned/spent. More power to your elbow* I say. :thumbup:

* if that makes sense to anyone not from the same part of the country that I am. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:54 pm For those that are still taking an interest, this article discusses how much you need in the pot for a hypothetical 'comfortable' retirement. What the effect of inflation and account charges are etc etc. The numbers might come as a shock to some. :D

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/markets-insi ... nAj_OezAHu
That does include the state pension.

But still more than I'll be getting in total. Luckily, Filly should have a fair pension to keep me partially in the manner etc.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Church pension pays out £31k lumpsum and £5k a year in 2038.... just as well we have a paid off house and another pension to rely on. They have cut the pension to the lowest level in decades whilst the Church Commissioners have increased investment holdings to £8billion recently.

Just as well I'm not in it for the money I guess.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

the_priest wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:29 pm Church pension pays out £31k lumpsum and £5k a year in 2038.... just as well we have a paid off house and another pension to rely on. They have cut the pension to the lowest level in decades whilst the Church Commissioners have increased investment holdings to £8billion recently.

The CofE has quite a lot of things to answer for, among them is how it does love to hoard money.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What happens to the money in your pension pot when you die?
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:11 pm What happens to the money in your pension pot when you die?
It becomes part of your 'estate' - unlike company or state pensions. (Although with lots of company pensions you can assign a 50% pension to your partner if you predecease them).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:44 pm
...and, at the same time, there will be squillionaires spending their last 6 months in the lap of luxury that haven't experienced half the pleasure (and pain!) out of what they've earned/spent. More power to your elbow* I say. :thumbup:

* if that makes sense to anyone not from the same part of the country that I am. :D
Most of the rich people I know are self made, so they've definitely enjoyed their money.

But I get your point, I did the same as Weeksy when my kids were young, we spent everything we had (including all our savings) on racing motocross, sailing, travelling, etc. I remember people on the old forums saying that I was mad for spunking all my money, but we got a massive kick out of it and I managed to give (for example) my lad his inspiration for his future career, we occasionally took rides in helicopters and that's what stuck for him, he was fascinated by how they work, he's now in the military as a rotary wing guy.

But back on topic, I have a similar viewpoint in retirement, it would be difficult going from living life to the fullest you can manage, then being skint and not being able to do much in retirement. I didn't think much about it when I was younger and blowing all my money, but it certainly came into focus in my late 40's and I realised that I had to gear up a bit if I wanted to enjoy the last one third (hopefully I live at least that long) of my life once work was over.

And as you say, the amounts you need are sobering, I remember years ago my mate saying his parents had retired at sixty with £250k and I thought that was an incredible amount, but now you'd need a million if you want that guaranteed £50k pa in retirement for thirty years.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

the_priest wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:29 pm Church pension pays out £31k lumpsum and £5k a year in 2038.... just as well we have a paid off house and another pension to rely on. They have cut the pension to the lowest level in decades whilst the Church Commissioners have increased investment holdings to £8billion recently.

Won't your god provide?
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Yambo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:49 am

Won't your god provide?
If you believe, then He will. The Lord works in mysterious ways. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:34 am
the_priest wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:29 pm Church pension pays out £31k lumpsum and £5k a year in 2038.... just as well we have a paid off house and another pension to rely on.

Won't your god provide?
Somehow, I really can't see The Priest setting himself up as a TV evangelist.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Won't your god provide?

It would seem the Church doesn't believe then, or they wouldn't need to provide a pension, however meagre. 😉
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm

Won't your god provide?

It would seem the Church doesn't believe then, or they wouldn't need to provide a pension, however meagre. 😉
Didn't you ever watch the Chuck Norris series? (Ranger??) He makes if VERY clear that god helps but doesn't provide. You have to help yourself and then God will back you!!

So, I think The Priest is doing ok :thumbup: :thumbup:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Won't your god provide?
Well He doesn’t seem to want to provide clean drinking water for the 300k kids who die each year through lack of it, so pensions aren’t probably at the top of the CofE’s list of things to raid the piggy bank for.

I’m sure Jesus would be pleased that they’re keeping their 10 billion safe and sound though.

(And I told myself I wouldn’t comment - I’m blaming you!)
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:57 pm
Won't your god provide?
Well He doesn’t seem to want to provide clean drinking water for the 300k kids who die each year through lack of it
They might be Philistines or something, so it could still be ok, them dying horribly and all that.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Is this banter? I feel uncomfortable seeing a group of people join in together to be unnecessarily mean to just one person.
Perhaps there is a word for it.

And perhaps any deity will view most of you in the same Calvanistic way that I view most of you, evidently existing outside of the doctrine of predestination and irresistible grace. Even though you are wretched and unchosen, you are still alive and that's really all you can ask for at your level, so He has provided and you should be grateful.

But back on subject, in this life you're going to need a pension...
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

My God provides what I need, salvation! the Pension stuff, that I work for! And again, it is not my only pension. So the wife and I will have jam occasionally, perhaps even that clotted cream (no cholesterol problems in my family) and most importantly, single malt!! To be honest, I just want to be content with what I have and grateful that I have a home, food and running water. The rest are bonus items.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So how/when do Priests retire? I kinda assumed the calling wouldn't just dissappear when you hit a certain age.
Potter

Post by Potter »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:20 am To be honest, I just want to be content with what I have and grateful that I have a home, food and running water. The rest are bonus items.
Indeed.
And occasionally add a bit of sparkle, some quinine, a lemon slice and a twist of gin to one's water :)

And perhaps a yacht.