What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

We went to a restaurant that was recommended by some friends. T'was blooming awesome!! Better cos the owner thought we were french - neither of us speak italian!! LOL

Restaurant was surrounded by mountains :D :D

Fab menu -

The translation to English of deconstructed Millefeuille was funny!!!

Interestingly, the chocolate tart didn't translate from Italian to French well either as it was a Chocolat Fondant, not a tarte :lol: Apparently it was awesome, so who cares about the translation!!

Free limoncello to finish :D mmmm

Off to Cormayeur to try and see Mont Blanc but she hid in the clouds. So, looked at the glacier instead!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

A funny thing happened today.

Around 20 years ago there was a bunch of us who used to ride to the road races and trips together. Over the years I've lost touch with some of them and was saddened to hear yesterday one had died from cancer.

I was still mulling over the news today when the phone rang. It was another friend who'd come across a young lad on a Honda Innova with a flat tyre. He wanted to know if I could bring some tools and get the rear wheel out. I duly headed off and got the job done.

While we were travelling to the tyre joint it transpired the lad was the son of the mate who'd recently died.

Maybe his oul Da was looking after him.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lovely pics Nogs! :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:44 pm Lovely pics Nogs! :thumbup:
Thanx. Fairly easy to take them with the views up here :D :D

And TBH, the views up to and over the pass totally made me want an off road bike to just go disappear in the mountains for a few days with a sleeping bag and shelter!!! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yeah,spectacular. The latter ones look a bit 'Deliverance'. :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:11 pm
Yeah,spectacular. The latter ones look a bit 'Deliverance'. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never actually seen Deliverance!!! LOL But we din't hear no banjos, so I reckon it was ok :D :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had a result. We need a new settee/sofa and was supposed to be going out to find and order one tomorrow. Popped into our local retailer of NEXT stuff and they had the exact settee I fancied but instead of £1500 it was on sale at £470! Get in! :thumbup:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:22 pm Had a result. We need a new settee/sofa and was supposed to be going out to find and order one tomorrow. Popped into our local retailer of NEXT stuff and they had the exact settee I fancied but instead of £1500 it was on sale at £470! Get in! :thumbup:
Get two. That attic of plenty needs replenishing. :)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:22 pm Had a result. We need a new settee/sofa and was supposed to be going out to find and order one tomorrow. Popped into our local retailer of NEXT stuff and they had the exact settee I fancied but instead of £1500 it was on sale at £470! Get in! :thumbup:
If he puts the spare up there he can sit comfortably, gazing upon his riches (muttering 'my preciousssses') as he lovingly fondles a box of Betamax tapes and 6 boxed reg/recs for unknown m/c's. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:15 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 pm
If he puts the spare up there he can sit comfortably, gazing upon his riches (muttering 'my preciousssses') as he lovingly fondles a box of Betamax tapes and 6 boxed reg/recs for unknown m/c's. :lol:
:mrgreen:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to London with Mrs. Gremlin to buy her birthday present. Every shop on Bond Street was closed.

The death of a monarch can right bugger up your shopping plans. :?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:36 pm Went to London with Mrs. Gremlin to buy her birthday present. Every shop on Bond Street was closed.

The death of a monarch can right bugger up your shopping plans. :?
So you'll be celebrating coz you saved some dosh :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just spent bloody ages fixing the pool light. It's about a foot diameter and a foot below the surface.
Some guest had dislodged it and when a cleaned it, it fell off the wall.
Tried for ages to reinstall it but only had cheap mask and snorkel and kept floating about.
So took the wall mount off and worked out how it mounted at side of pool. Magic bit was to coil the spare cable correctly.
Put my lead weight on my feet to keep my in place and a rope around the pool cover to hold onto :D
Only 10 mins to refit the bloody thing. Cable kept floating about.

Beer time now :)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Rang a bloke up about his big V twin for sale. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Finished tidying up after my huge cooking session yesterday!! LOL Not much to show for it but I now have 2 x litre containers of char sui 'sauce' for the next time I get some pork shoulder and a smaller jar of chinese bbq sauce (just reduced the last bit of the first!) for someone - I'm not normally a bbq sauce person, but maybe I should try :D

Then went to the valley to see my friend. I didn't go yesterday as have had some serious head fck about riding and it was getting worse, not better with doing, so I had a day off and did nothing bikey yesterday. Today, I pep talked myself all the way down the mountain, went the less 'little road' route and got to my friend's place much calmer and not hurting!! Spent a few hours down there and lots of chat. Her being a sports coach helps sometimes as I do manage to talk myself around usually, but it's handy to have someone to 'bounce' ideas/thoughts off too

Coming back I realised that there is one thing I used to do without thinking and haven't been doing since I restarted riding in July. Stupid really as I'd Told Jess that was how I got myself round corners :roll: :lol: :lol: Only on the way back up I realised I haven't been!! LOL

So, now feel a lot better about riding :bblonde: :bblonde: So roll on tomorrow when I'll bimble down again for a bit, just to make sure it is working :D :D

Happy biker bird here after a couple of weeks of not so happy!! LOL
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Glanced out of the kitchen window yesterday evening and saw what I thought was the body of my cat lying flat out on the pavement opposite. We do live on a busy road.

I immediately raced out and I was crossing the road when it raised its head up. My next thought was thank god he’s not dead but where will I get a vet on a Saturday night.

Only to get closer and discover a. It was only sleeping and more importantly b. It wasn’t even my bloody cat.
Attachments
221E6BA9-5172-4168-8FC3-49429519064C.jpeg
221E6BA9-5172-4168-8FC3-49429519064C.jpeg (145.32 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Felix

Post by Felix »

Someone ran out of Cuprinol? :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Booked Sunday lunch for the wife and me at one of our favourite pubs. You normally need to book up weeks in advance for Sunday lunch, but lately l've been able to easily book on the same day for any of the more popular pubs. Sign of the times I guess...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went to the valley to see a friend. Chatted for a few hours and saw some other friends whilst I was there. Had the best ride down the mountain to get there that I've had so far. All so positive

Sadly, on the way back, in a bit of road that has been narrowed by a junction due to road works, there'd been a serious accident. Motorbike,huge thing with luggage, so some kind of tourer, couldn't see much as - it was narrow, rider and pillion down, camper blocking one side of the narrowed road and people directing traffic. And, bike was the other side of the concrete barriers separating the road and roadworks section (from the position, very unlikely it had been dragged there by the people who stopped) :( :( Not sure why, but there were a couple of cars stopped to the side as well as the camper, so Im guessing there was a car/bike interaction :(

I'm still struggling a bit. Daft really as I've dealt with enough death and injury in First Responders and (less) TT Marshalling. But, it's the first time I've seen the effects of a bike crash in over 5 years (probably more to be fair if you don't count track stuff). The bit I couldn't deal with is that the pillion was lying on her side at the side of the road, by the concrete barrier, helmet off and she looked to be asleep. I'm pretty sure she wasn't as she wasn't in the recovery position and no one was anywhere near her, or the rider (didn't see the rider as much, but he wasn't in a recovery position, more as if he was lying where he fell). That was the most disturbing bit I think

Anytime I've seen an accident out here, the French are very full on with first aid - aid in general. But in this case, the traffic was being managed - pompiers and gendarmes hadn't arrived as I went through the site - and people were 'near' the rider and pillion, but no one was 'with' them :( :( :(

I had to pull over into a layby just past the junction as I couldn't see properly for a few minutes. Whilst there, I realised that the actual junction site wasn't easily visible from further back and if no vehicle had been through and so flashed on coming traffic to warn them, they were coming in a bit quick, so until the pompiers arrived from the direction I'd come from, I sat in the layby so as to be able to get up and wave to slow down oncoming traffic (only one seemed to ignore me and gave me a 'signal' that he didn't understand, but at least he didn't hit the back of the traffic queue)

Took me a bit of time to sort my head out; yes I'm still sad, but have stopped having dusty eyes. Luckily I was delivering a pasty to a friend 10 mins down from me, so I was able to go chat with him for a bit.

But, so sad on such a beautiful day to be out :( :( :(
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Cooked roast dinner for colleagues at work.
0E51229E-3AC9-46F9-AD05-FB99DD330BC2.jpeg
0E51229E-3AC9-46F9-AD05-FB99DD330BC2.jpeg (684.84 KiB) Viewed 240 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."