In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yorick »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:16 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:19 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:06 pm Oh fuck. Here we go again. This thread is gonna be poisoned by American politics which no fucker cares about.

Start another thread to argue about that dross
It's as good/bad a place as any other. I may not like reading it, but no reason they can't post it.
Maybe a separate thread about general news, one about British politics, and another on world politics would be tidier than one big mish mash of them all?
Well said.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:16 pm Maybe a separate thread about general news, one about British politics, and another on world politics would be tidier than one big mish mash of them all?
El Niño is definitely going to be big news. Later this year according to my take on it.

Is "news" only what has already happened or can it be something which is just about to happen? Genuine question which ties in with "the problem with AI" which will also have a big impact on the news this year. We're also overdue a Carrington event which again, when it happens is going to be BIG news.

Mainstream "news" :hmmm: is often broken up into little subsections, Breakfast for the fluffy stuff, Technology, Sport and Big Ben at 9/10pm for all the serious shit. Too much to ask for Weeksy to turn a simple thread into a mainstream news channel if you ask me but there could be a "Breakfast" section where fuckwits can discuss the colour of their sandals.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:46 pm Too much to ask for Weeksy to turn a simple thread into a mainstream news channel if you ask me but there could be a "Breakfast" section where fuckwits can discuss the colour of their sandals.
You seem to want to redefine the thread for your own use.

Re-read the first few pages of the thread. It's a mix of all sorts of bollox. No 'turning into' required.
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:46 pm fuckwits can discuss the colour of their sandals.
"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
Socrates

Really ... ?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Horse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:32 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:46 pm Too much to ask for Weeksy to turn a simple thread into a mainstream news channel if you ask me but there could be a "Breakfast" section where fuckwits can discuss the colour of their sandals.
You seem to want to redefine the thread for your own use.

Re-read the first few pages of the thread. It's a mix of all sorts of bollox. No 'turning into' required.
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:46 pm fuckwits can discuss the colour of their sandals.
"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
Socrates

Really ... ?
He could easily start his own thread, but insists on posting in this friendly one.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:06 pm Oh fuck. Here we go again. This thread is gonna be poisoned by American politics which no fucker cares about.

It's as good/bad a place as any other. I may not like reading it, but no reason they can't post it.
Maybe a separate thread about general news, one about British politics, and another on world politics would be tidier than one big mish mash of them all?
So instead of me having to read 1 thread I don't want to, I have to read multiple threads I don't want to?

You know I don't get paid here?

Weirdly we've had that few subscriptions this year I will end up paying money to keep the place open 😺😺😺
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:40 pm

So instead of me having to read 1 thread I don't want to, I have to read multiple threads I don't want to?
This one would be self moderating. Happy posters.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:42 pm

This one would be self moderating. Happy posters.
In here? On this forum? Nah, won't happen.

People have different viewpoints of the world. It's the best/worst thing about this place.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I did start a post a while back called Funny News Story's but it died of death after 2/3 pages due to you all preferring to whine about other people discussing news oddly enough.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 pm In here? On this forum? Nah, won't happen.

People have different viewpoints of the world. It's the best/worst thing about this place.
At the risk of perpetuating this useless diversion, is comment regarding the forthcoming El Niño NOT "news"?

Is everyone aware it will most likely be a pretty dramatic global event?

Is it NOT OK to express an opinion (and imho put someone right) regarding the veracity of global warming news?

You'll' just have to trust me on this but the LAST thing I want is another unending and unendurable climate change debate where the same old pseudoscience is presented as some sort of riposte to the actual science. I mean, do people really think that climatologists don't know the sun shines?

Thanks for quoting Horse who I ignore because he never says anything interesting. Just to clarify: yes, when a buffoon dumps on one of my posts whining like a broken milk float; Socrates is correct, all hope of debate is lost. I am the loser. I should ignore it but it amuses me to have such a faithful troll.
Plato
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Oh God. Arguing and debating is for idiots. It's not compulsory

Some threads can be just banter.
Last edited by Yorick on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:04 pm Horse ... such a faithful troll.
:D Fame at last :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:06 pm Oh God. Arguing and debating is for idiots. It's not compulsory

Some threads can be just banter.
Wow. "Debating is for idiots".

That is an extraordinary comment to make. Even for you.

Hilarious.
Plato
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Err, I might have missed something recenrly but climate change is science, if you have issues with it then post any scientific facts to the contrary.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:10 pm

Hilarious.
Dont know your age group but when i was leaving school (1979) Debating classes was a thing. When i went to college some years later we were encouraged to debate in some subjects.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Felix wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 am

Hilarious.
Dont know your age group but when i was leaving school (1979) Debating classes was a thing. When i went to college some years later we were encouraged to debate in some subjects.
Last time somebody said mass debate, Yorick grabbed his box of hankies and headed off to the beach to look at the lovely ladies.

Debate is a synonym for a discussion or discourse, the typical kind of exchange you might find on say, a forum!

Perhaps this is where I am going wrong but I was under the impression this thread is where we have conversations about various news topics. Since there are very few places where you can find actual news without it being "spun" to suit the mainstream media narrative or blatant opinion presented as "news", it is rare to find any news item that does not require some form of analysis before some semblance of truth can be established.

Science is (or perhaps was) the only factual, evidence based "news" and even that is being increasingly manipulated and even censored if it doesn't happen to align with the narrative or support the prevailing political agenda.

The freedom to express an opinion which dares to question or contradict government policy (!) is currently under attack. "The internet" as we know it, is almost certainly about to change. I suspect it will be legislated out of existence within the next couple of years and become a pale shadow of it's former self as AI systems allow for real time state controlled censorship...

Then again it's late and maybe I'm just tired.
Plato
Potter

Post by Potter »

Weirdly we've had that few subscriptions this year I will end up paying money to keep the place open 😺😺😺
Personally I'd make this section subscribers only, with a £25 surcharge, and an instant ban for any politics or BS in the other sections.
Easy.

BTW - I pm'd explaining the subscriptions, but for everyone else's benefit, it seems that there isn't a subscription reminder, I saw the above comment and checked mine and it looked like it had expired because there were no details showing except a button to subscribe, so I figured it must have run out.
I suggest everyone check, and I've suggested Weeksy sets up a reminder function.

I sometimes disagree with everyone including Weeksy, but when he suggested creating this site we all pledged to help financially, so let's not leave him out in the wind, I've re-subscribed and thrown extra in to keep the site running. I'd suggest you all do the same if you want to keep on using the forum, there is a donation button at the top.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:04 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 pm In here? On this forum? Nah, won't happen.

At the risk of perpetuating this useless diversion, is comment regarding the forthcoming El Niño NOT "news"?
Did you miss the part where i said it was OK ? You can't argue with people who agree with you..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:04 am
Personally I'd make this section subscribers only, with a £25 surcharge, and an instant ban for any politics or BS in the other sections.
Easy.

BTW - I pm'd explaining the subscriptions, but for everyone else's benefit, it seems that there isn't a subscription reminder, I saw the above comment and checked mine and it looked like it had expired because there were no details showing except a button to subscribe, so I figured it must have run out.
I suggest everyone check, and I've suggested Weeksy sets up a reminder function.

I sometimes disagree with everyone including Weeksy, but when he suggested creating this site we all pledged to help financially, so let's not leave him out in the wind, I've re-subscribed and thrown extra in to keep the site running. I'd suggest you all do the same if you want to keep on using the forum, there is a donation button at the top.
That is very very kind fella... really is. First thing i'll do is invest some of it and get the site updated... I'll bring in our local friendly tech expert to do so this week.
The subs function is a bit weird as it's a 3rd party add-on not an official thing and i think it often gets confused with re-running Subs and dates, etc..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:34 am
Felix wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 am

Hilarious.
Last time somebody said mass debate, Yorick grabbed his box of hankies and headed off to the beach to look at the lovely ladies.

Debate is a synonym for a discussion or discourse, the typical kind of exchange you might find on say, a forum!

Perhaps this is where I am going wrong but I was under the impression this thread is where we have conversations about various news topics. Since there are very few places where you can find actual news without it being "spun" to suit the mainstream media narrative or blatant opinion presented as "news", it is rare to find any news item that does not require some form of analysis before some semblance of truth can be established.

Science is (or perhaps was) the only factual, evidence based "news" and even that is being increasingly manipulated and even censored if it doesn't happen to align with the narrative or support the prevailing political agenda.

The freedom to express an opinion which dares to question or contradict government policy (!) is currently under attack. "The internet" as we know it, is almost certainly about to change. I suspect it will be legislated out of existence within the next couple of years and become a pale shadow of it's former self as AI systems allow for real time state controlled censorship...

Then again it's late and maybe I'm just tired.
He was agreeing with you too !
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:24 amYou can't argue with people who agree with you..
You're a fool for agreeing with me!