Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wossname

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Wossname »

The increases in living/minimum wages have an effect too, all the way up the line - not just at the bottom.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:23 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:19 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:41 pm One amusing thing from Amazon, for me anyway, is their building a huge hub in Bristol has allowed that city to continue its tradition of slavery and poor working conditions. Got to keep heritage current.

My biggest gripe yesterday was the lack of communication between Brio wooden railway tunnel designers and the makers of the rolling stock. They need to agree on a common loading gauge.
Can anyone else smell the scent of fish bait?
I'm amazed you never wrote it
Can anyone else smell the scent of fish bait?

:lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Yes, it's a bit baity, but where were the statue puller downers when a huge megacorp not known for its kindly practices decided to build a huge distribution network within a few miles. It'd have been easy enough to protest, just block the dedicated motorway junction that was built for it.

Or just keep funding said megacorp whilst complaining how horrid they are.

FWIW my principle are worth about a tenner, I buy my socks from Amazon as they are cheapest and easiest way to get black pure cotton socks delivered.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

cheb wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:00 pm Yes, it's a bit baity, but where were the statue puller downers when a huge megacorp not known for its kindly practices decided to build a huge distribution network within a few miles. It'd have been easy enough to protest, just block the dedicated motorway junction that was built for it.

FWIW my principle are worth about a tenner, I buy my socks from Amazon as they are cheapest and easiest way to get black pure cotton socks delivered.
What would anyone of been able to do to stop them setting up the site?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:03 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:00 pm Yes, it's a bit baity, but where were the statue puller downers when a huge megacorp not known for its kindly practices decided to build a huge distribution network within a few miles. It'd have been easy enough to protest, just block the dedicated motorway junction that was built for it.

What would anyone of been able to do to stop them setting up the site?
Cancelled their prime subscription and buy less from them, they're only building it because of your demand for their services
cheb

Post by cheb »

That^. And made it so inconvenient that they went elsewhere. Difficult to build with no materials being supplied to the site. Picketed the gates.

Or they could have stood for election to the council and hindered them from within.

Probably just pissing in the wind I'll grant you, but it stands a better chance of succeeding than just whining and buying from the beastly company.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:45 pm Cancelled their prime subscription and buy less from them, they're only building it because of your demand for their services
This sort of action never really works, they're bigger (and probably cleverer ;) ) and certainly richer than you - a slump in revenue will likely result in a campaign to lure you back. Difficult to resist a bit of bribery
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:10 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:45 pm Cancelled their prime subscription and buy less from them, they're only building it because of your demand for their services
This sort of action never really works, they're bigger (and probably cleverer ;) ) and certainly richer than you - a slump in revenue will likely result in a campaign to lure you back. Difficult to resist a bit of bribery
OK, so anyone opposed could have written to the council to object to the planning or written to their MP, or glued their hands to the gates.
And yep, if they want to offer me a discount after I've cancelled to lure me back I'll take it if I pay less to get the same, hell I'll pay the same as I am now providing there's no adverts, my objections are finical not moral.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:31 pm OK, so anyone opposed could have written to the council to object to the planning or written to their MP, or glued their hands to the gates.
And yep, if they want to offer me a discount after I've cancelled to lure me back I'll take it if I pay less to get the same, hell I'll pay the same as I am now providing there's no adverts, my objections are finical not moral.
Oh, I'm not offering any sensible, serious suggestions. These behemoths are normally only killed by a downturn in the economy, some series of internal mismanagement, or simply a change in fashion. Most likely it'll be sold off at some point and the subsequent owners will just cock it up.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I don't use Amazon; and I discourage other PLUs from doing so also. It's not a force for good in the world. But I'm not tearing any shit down because of it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Living in the sticks, the alternatives are :-
Do without stuff
Drive 25 - 50 miles to buy stuff at a higher price.
Suck up Amazon.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:08 pm Living in the sticks, the alternatives are :-
Do without stuff
Suck up Amazon.
TBF a lot of shit on ebay is cheaper. I check both when looking for stuff and mainly use Amazon for the fast delivery but if the price difference is a lot lower ebay gets the buy now clicks.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Felix wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:13 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:08 pm Living in the sticks, the alternatives are :-
Do without stuff
Suck up Amazon.
TBF a lot of shit on ebay is cheaper. I check both when looking for stuff and mainly use Amazon for the fast delivery but if the price difference is a lot lower ebay gets the buy now clicks.
IME ebay is a bit of a minefield. Some is OK, but some stuff is just a scam. At least Amazon gives you your money back if it is a scam.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:28 pm IME ebay is a bit of a minefield. Some is OK, but some stuff is just a scam. At least Amazon gives you your money back if it is a scam.
TBF if i bought shite in ebay i have always got my money back. When i say shite i mean broken, not working or as not described.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd prefer eBay to Amazon, all day long. I always feel a bit dirty on the rare occasion I make an Amazon purchase.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:04 pm I'd prefer eBay to Amazon, all day long. I always feel a bit dirty on the rare occasion I make an Amazon purchase.
Have eBay returns got any better? - it used to be a pain in the arse - most vendors being bloke-in-shed with a "screw you" returns policy - hence why I stopped buying as much.
Where Amazon kills it is that their returns policy is second-to-none.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Felix wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:13 pm
Do without stuff
Suck up Amazon.
Use the Coupert browser extension. It'll often pop up some alternative sites where the item you're looking up on amazon is cheaper. e.g. i just saved £5 on some razor blades thanks to coupert..
cheb

Post by cheb »

Do without stuff
Suck up Amazon.
Really, I never knew. How do I manage to buy stuff that I need/want.
cheb

Post by cheb »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:04 pm I'd prefer eBay to Amazon, all day long. I always feel a bit dirty on the rare occasion I make an Amazon purchase.
Have eBay returns got any better? - it used to be a pain in the arse - most vendors being bloke-in-shed with a "screw you" returns policy - hence why I stopped buying as much.
Where Amazon kills it is that their returns policy is second-to-none.
There returns policy is terrible if you live on this island IME. My choice to live here and all that.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Do without stuff
Suck up Amazon.
I'm lazy - the number of times I've driven to town and parked up, walked into a shop, they don't have it. got back in the car, driven to the other side of town to a different place, they don't have it, drive somewhere else, I can get it for you in three weeks. It's bollocks.

Easy to hate Amazon but they have saved me masses of time pissing about not getting what I want in local shops