In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: In todays news...

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:06 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:03 pm Male reindeer typically lose their antlers by early December, but females keep theirs later. So Rudolph was female too.

Or Rudolph was not typical.
Certainly he and the sleigh didn't comply with vehicle lighting regulations which permit only white light to the front.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Horse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:40 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:06 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:03 pm Male reindeer typically lose their antlers by early December, but females keep theirs later. So Rudolph was female too.

Or Rudolph was not typical.
Certainly he and the sleigh didn't comply with vehicle lighting regulations which permit only white light to the front.
They’re bound to break the law somewhere along their route.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:17 pm
irie wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:32 pmTrump is fücked.
I've handled a variety of top secret stuff and that could be a large exaggeration, it's impossible to tell.
As it's been shown Biden broke the same law I'm expecting him to recieve the same treatment because it's starting to look like witch hunt now.
Surely the crucial difference is that one is a current POTUS and the other is a former POTUS. When you leave office you lose all the privileges and entitlements.
No there is a critical difference. A president can declassify documents at his whim. If he says it's no longer classified it no longer is. So Trump kept a load of interesting documents like a signed note from Kim Jon Il.

Biden on the other hand had (has?) a MASSIVE hoard of classified documents ( pallet loads by all accounts) spread all over the place. One of them in a garage at one of his many homes another trove of documents curiously "stored" at a CCP sponsored university.

I guess my "don't walk on the grass" spoof was too subtle. The only reason the entire apparatus of state authority has been weaponised against Trump is to stop him from becoming president again. It's only other purpose appears to be to protect the Biden mafia from prosecution for the incredible and rather obvious corrupt activities he has been involved in and continues to be perpetrating.

Beggars belief that they can keep getting away with the extraordinary persecution of a political opponent in this modern enlightened era where we can all see what they are doing (if we would only look). On the other hand if the long arm of the law ever reaches out for the Bidens, they're in deep shit.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:15 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:52 pmTrumps stuff was all inside his house,
Yup, pictures made public.

US media are still using the staged pics from the raid on his home
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Some secrets, such as information related to nuclear weapons, are handled separately under a specific statutory scheme that Congress has adopted under the Atomic Energy Act. Those secrets cannot be automatically declassified by the president alone and require, by law, extensive consultation with executive branch agencies.

In all cases, however, a formal procedure is required so governmental agencies know with certainty what has been declassified and decisions memorialized. A federal appeals court in a 2020 Freedom of Information Act case, New York Times v. CIA, underscored that point: “Declassification cannot occur unless designated officials follow specified procedures,” the court said.

So, if he hasn't followed procedures the documents aren't declassified, ergo he's in the soup. (Ditto Biden - just because 2 people commit a crime or make a very serious procedural error it doesn't make one of them less guilty. If neither of them can stand again, fine. :thumbup: )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

As is often the case, its not as simple as "I can make it legal coz I is in charge". I saw this vid when the story first broke.

And just for balance like...

Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:49 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:17 pm
I've handled a variety of top secret stuff and that could be a large exaggeration, it's impossible to tell.
As it's been shown Biden broke the same law I'm expecting him to recieve the same treatment because it's starting to look like witch hunt now.
Surely the crucial difference is that one is a current POTUS and the other is a former POTUS. When you leave office you lose all the privileges and entitlements.
No there is a critical difference. A president can declassify documents at his whim. If he says it's no longer classified it no longer is. So Trump kept a load of interesting documents like a signed note from Kim Jon Il.
You are (deliberately?) ignoring my point. For a start we're not talking about fanmail from a fuckwit, we're talking about nuclear-related documents. And Trump had these documents when he was no longer POTUS (which is the kicker) whereas Biden is still, last time I checked, the current POTUS and can (as you say) declassify documents on a whim.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:14 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:49 pm

You are (deliberately?) ignoring my point. For a start we're not talking about fanmail from a fuckwit, we're talking about nuclear-related documents. And Trump had these documents when he was no longer POTUS (which is the kicker) whereas Biden is still, last time I checked, the current POTUS and can (as you say) declassify documents on a whim.
Biden had classified documents from his VP days so they were in his posession after he left office, he's every bit as guitly as Trump.
I've no desire to see Trump's charges dropped but until they are treated equally this stinks of corruption.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I do kinda wonder if they all do it :lol:. Lock her up and all that. Our own home secretary is guilty too. How many classified documents get left on trains?

Just being a bit dim like.

Although PMSL at the alleged instances of Trump showing his mates classified military news. This is like that time he Tweeted a photo from America's most advanced spy satellites, revealing just how good they are. He's just a bit thick sometimes.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:28 pm
Ant wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:06 pm So there's another resignation. I wouldn't mind betting there's a plan behind this......
Here's a few options:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65865946
This bit is a bit, well, I don't know, don't want to say scary!! But FFS -
By chance his old newspaper the Telegraph has just come up for sale and - by chance - its former editor Will Lewis has just been made a knight by Mr Johnson. Is there, by chance, the possibility they might be part of a bid to take it over?

It's been suggested to me that is in fact something that has been discussed. It's no secret that Mr Lewis - now Sir Will - would be keen to take it on.

He advised Mr Johnson in No 10 sometimes and the two men worked together at the Telegraph when the former PM was its star columnist who attracted extra subscribers each week.

Going back as a columnist would be one thing for Mr Johnson and not all that surprising. But for him to take a bigger role - as one source whispers, the editor - might be the Conservatives' worst nightmare.
I remember Johnson being one of the main 'anti EU' journalists back in his day - very few of the big 'EU is a bad thing' reports of his that were printed bore any truth, but they sold papers

Can't imagine him being in charge or even just close to in charge of an actual paper :shock: But then, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting someone of his obvious lack of truth and ability to communicate well professionally being PM :roll: :roll: The UK (and probably the World, not just for BJ) is FUBAR'd :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:46 pm I do kinda wonder if they all do it :lol:. Lock her up and all that. Our own home secretary is guilty too. How many classified documents get left on trains?

Just being a bit dim like.

Although PMSL at the alleged instances of Trump showing his mates classified military news. This is like that time he Tweeted a photo from America's most advanced spy satellites, revealing just how good they are. He's just a bit thick sometimes.
What makes me worried (on the occasions that I'll actually consider it, cos I try not to) is just HOW do these people get to be in the positions they have been in???

FFS, shouldn't there at least be an 'entry test' for Senators, POTUS, MPs, PMs??? In all countries.

And anyone that desperate to be in the position of top dog shouldn't be allowed, certainly without decent qualifications or at the very least a character that will find people with decent knowledge and quals to advise and deal with stuff they don't know?!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

There's a view that anyone who so badly desires that kind of power should automatically be disqualifed from holding such a position. :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's in loads of Arthur C Clarke's sci-fi. Leaders are randomly selected based on quals and have to be metaphorically dragged into power. Anyone who wants to do it is immediately disqualified and the only way to be released is to do a good job.
Ant

Post by Ant »

For how ever mad people think they were, remember when Boris and Trump were in charge, things were much peaceful, none of this stuff going on now.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Still completely impervious to logic right till the end of his political career. It may be he doesn't understand the definition of lieing. An outstanding run of corruption, bluster, criminality, malfeasance and random bursts of Latin.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:51 pmFFS, shouldn't there at least be an 'entry test' for Senators, POTUS, MPs, PMs??? In all countries.
A test for competency in simple arithmetic would disqualify most of them. Especially those who think we can get to net zero using windmills, solar and batteries.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Always have to out do the Tories.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65871857
Former First Minister Nicola Sturgeon arrested in SNP finance inquiry
Ant

Post by Ant »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:46 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:51 pmFFS, shouldn't there at least be an 'entry test' for Senators, POTUS, MPs, PMs??? In all countries.
A test for competency in simple arithmetic would disqualify most of them. Especially those who think we can get to net zero using windmills, solar and batteries.
To be fair, that would discriminate most americans.
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:46 pm Always have to out do the Tories.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65871857
Former First Minister Nicola Sturgeon arrested in SNP finance inquiry
Question is, following her arrest if convicted with a custodial sentence would Nichola Sturgeon go to a male or female prison? :?:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno