In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
wheelnut

Re: In todays news...

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:46 pm Slide was my first thought too!

Luckily it was behind the wing, you don't want that big bit of rubber going through the engine.

In reality no-one was in any great danger here, so long as they remained seated with their tray table in the stowed position.
If the slide had wrapped itself round the elevator it could have ruined their day.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Luckily it was behind the wing, you don't want that big bit of rubber going through the engine.

In reality no-one was in any great danger here, so long as they remained seated with their tray table in the stowed position.
If the slide had wrapped itself round the elevator it could have ruined their day.
It was landing anyway. Would just have landed a bit sooner.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

EPA just got told by the SCOTUS to STFU & STFD in a 9-0 decision... which lead to Biden claiming that all nine Justices are "MAGA Republicans" & has the imbeciles who believe every word he stumbles on that this was a "far-right" decision...
A report on this posted by the Beeb earlier today has now mysteriously disappeared from their website...

Here's a link to a site that shared a report from another news source...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/unani ... otus-regs/

The EPA had written the rule/law in such a way that even it classified puddles as "navigable waterways"
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm A report on this posted by the Beeb earlier today has now mysteriously disappeared from their website...
This one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65717057

The US Supreme Court curtailed the federal government's authority to protect its wetlands from pollution in a decision on Thursday.

20230526_164448.jpg
20230526_164448.jpg (206.93 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm EPA just got told by the SCOTUS to STFU & STFD in a 9-0 decision... which lead to Biden claiming that all nine Justices are "MAGA Republicans" & has the imbeciles who believe every word he stumbles on that this was a "far-right" decision...
A report on this posted by the Beeb earlier today has now mysteriously disappeared from their website...

The EPA had written the rule/law in such a way that even it classified puddles as "navigable waterways"
In English?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:45 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm A report on this posted by the Beeb earlier today has now mysteriously disappeared from their website...
This one?

Yes, That links works. It was visible in the US earlier, but not now.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:20 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm EPA just got told by the SCOTUS to STFU & STFD in a 9-0 decision... which lead to Biden claiming that all nine Justices are "MAGA Republicans" & has the imbeciles who believe every word he stumbles on that this was a "far-right" decision...

In English?
Environmental Propaganda Agenda, oh wait, Environmental Protection Agency
Supreme Court Of The United States
Shut The Fuck Up
Sit The Fuck Down
Make America Great Again

hth (Hope That Hurts) ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:23 pm
Horse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:45 pm
This one?

Yes, That links works. It was visible in the US earlier, but not now.
Using search (see the image)? That's all that I did.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:42 pm Using search (see the image)? That's all that I did.
Congratulations.

Once again:
It was front & center on the Beeb website from the US earlier today, it no longer is. Everything that was there earlier still is.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:47 pm
Horse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:42 pm Using search (see the image)? That's all that I did.
Congratulations.

Once again:
It was front & center on the Beeb website from the US earlier today, it no longer is. Everything that was there earlier still is.
Congratulations yourself.

Being moved off the front page isn't mysteriously disappeared. Your words, not mine.

News changes. Novel idea but, there, you know now :lol: :banana-dance:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Top journalism from the Beeb.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65724848
'I used to own the car that crashed into Downing St gates'
That's it, the whole piece is about a journalist that used to own the car. :hmmm:
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:02 pm
irie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:01 pm https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 023-05-25/
German economy entered recession as inflation hurt consumers
German GDP data showed "surprisingly negative signals," Finance Minister Christian Lindner said on Thursday. He added that comparing Germany with other highly developed economies, the economy was losing potential for growth.

"I don't want Germany to play in a league in which we have to relegate ourselves to the last positions," he said, referring to the forecasts of the International Monetary Fund, which predicted a recession in 2023 only in Germany and Britain among European countries.
Oi @demographic the UK has not entered recession. Image
irie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:43 pm
demographic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:35 pm Whats the German inflation rate at the moment?

:lol:
I've honestly not looked for a while but last I saw the UKs inflation rate was higher than pretty much every G7 country wih food and gas being the main drivers.
What was the answer anysay?
Nothing in your below post about inflation, so pretty poor straw man attempt. :lol:
demographic January 31 2023, wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am IMF predict that the UK economy will be the worst performer in the developed world, including sanction hit Russia. Story from the BBC but I could have chosen a few other outlets as well.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64452995

"UK expected to be only major economy to shrink in 2023 - IMF
The UK economy will shrink and perform worse than other advanced economies, including Russia, as the cost of living continues to hit households, the International Monetary Fund has said.

The IMF said the economy will contract by 0.6% in 2023, rather than grow slightly as previously predicted.

However, the IMF also said that it thinks the UK is now "on the right track".

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the UK outperformed many forecasts last year.

But shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves said the figures showed the UK "lagging behind our peers".

The IMF, which works to stabilise economic growth, said it had downgraded its forecast for the UK because of its high energy prices, rising mortgage costs and increased taxes, as well as persistent worker shortages. It did not mention Brexit in its report as a factor for the UK not performing as well as others. Today marks three years since the UK left the EU.

The UK is expected be the only country to shrink next year across all the advanced and emerging economies. Even sanctions-hit Russia is now forecast to grow this year."
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Fantastic news! Now rednecks can pollute stuff with impunity.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I was out for a beer or 3 this evening and a mate was telling me about the sentencing of Stephen Boden and partner Shannon Marsden for killing their 10 month old son. My mate had been watching the sentencing on the tele and was going through the torture the parents had inflicted on their child. It was, to be honest, very unsettling and whilst they have got long sentences I had to wonder if my dislike of the death penalty is misplaced.

I'd call them animals or pond life but that would simply be an insult to animals and pond life.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65697782
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yambo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:43 pm I was out for a beer or 3 this evening and a mate was telling me about the sentencing of Stephen Boden and partner Shannon Marsden for killing their 10 month old son. My mate had been watching the sentencing on the tele and was going through the torture the parents had inflicted on their child. It was, to be honest, very unsettling and whilst they have got long sentences I had to wonder if my dislike of the death penalty is misplaced.

I'd call them animals or pond life but that would simply be an insult to animals and pond life.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-65697782
I caught some of the judges summing up. It was absolutely horrifying what that couple did. Heartbreaking.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

They’d have had to use the stairs.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:37 pm

It was landing anyway. Would just have landed a bit sooner.
Apparently he just really wanted to get off!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65705276

The man in his 30s said he was feeling suffocated and wanted to get off quickly, Yonhap news agency reported.

Police said the man claimed during questioning that he was stressed after losing his job, according to the report.

Flight OZ8124, an Airbus A321-200 jet, had taken off from Jeju Island on Friday about 11:45 local time (03:45 GMT).

As it was landing about an hour later, a male passenger opened the emergency door while the plane was still 250m from ground.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

irie wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:03 pm

I've removed lots cos it looked like a bomb went off in the editing room, holy quote malfinction Batman.
Anyway, are you absolutely sure you want to crow about the UK economy right now? You don't want to maybe hang back a bit?

Sure?

Sure you're sure?

Put a pin in it and come back to it later?
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:18 pm
irie wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:03 pm
I've removed lots cos it looked like a bomb went off in the editing room, holy quote malfinction Batman.
Anyway, are you absolutely sure you want to crow about the UK economy right now? You don't want to maybe hang back a bit?

Sure?

Sure you're sure?

Put a pin in it and come back to it later?
It was you who crowed about the IMF predictions, which have a habit of being wrong, and you got egg on your face.

Could all change in the next few months, anyone's guess. Because that's all it will be.

End of.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

My take from the foregoing is that irie has 'inability to accept he's ever wrong' issues...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.