Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Count Steer »

Demannu wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:50 pm Sans Permis drivers.
Over here you can drive a noddy car without ever having taken a test/training. Also, if you get banned for dd10, you can literally drive away from the court in one.
However today, I come nose to nose with a SP, held together in best SP fashion with yards of gaffer tape, except she had no concept of sens unique in the car park. After a decent sized queue had built up behind me, I got out and asked her if she had a problem? Turns out she had no reverse gear! Pushed her into a space and was on my way.
Always struck me as strange, the dd10/noddy car thing in France, but I guess you need different rules in big countries. Used to see them arrive in population centres, get bladdered and wobble off in a cloud of smoke.

Funny old world.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

3 strikes and you go to jail.
Just because you live in a big country (stop singing in the back) doesn't excuse the drink/drive culture that exists here.
We're lucky that we have options going out, either use the moho, have a few, go home in the morning, or have a panache or 2 and be sensible. Several of my 'friends' will think nothing of 4 or 5 pints then drive. I did enquire about starting a proper taxi business, but most people I spoke too were happy to risk the gendarmes, as usually everyone knows if they're out and about so take the scenic routes home.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

It's not driving drunk that's annoying me these days, it's driving stoned, the amount of times I've followed a car on the bike and the thing has been blowing smoke out the windows like it's being driven by Cheech and Chong. I've been stopped dozens of times and breathalysed but I've never been tested for dope.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bloody robots on help lines!!

Orange internet died again today - only this time I was home and wanted to stream some tv. Hotspotting from my phone worked for a while but I'd had a text saying to call a number to activate the free 200gb phone internet. Then my phone stopped giving wifi to the ipad, so I test the number as instructed - failed to deliver
So, I called. Automated options, each time I couldn't get through to the correct place/person to actually sort this.
Hotspotted the laptop and went to the website and used the 'help chat' option - OMFG !!! Proper banging head on wall as zero help whatsoever :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Was a smidge peeved as the text had said they expected the wifi to be fixed by monday midday :roll: :roll:

Went for a game of pool with some friends, came back ready to do battle with A'I' only to find that the wifi box works again. TFFT!!!

Artificial Intelligence often isn't remotely I !!!! Unimpressed!! :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bloody robots on help lines!!

Orange internet died again today - only this time I was home and wanted to stream some tv. Hotspotting from my phone worked for a while but I'd had a text saying to call a number to activate the free 200gb phone internet. Then my phone stopped giving wifi to the ipad, so I text the number as instructed - failed to deliver
So, I called. Automated options, each time I couldn't get through to the correct place/person to actually sort this.
Hotspotted the laptop from the english phone and went to the website and used the 'help chat' option - OMFG !!! Proper banging head on wall as zero help whatsoever :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Was a smidge peeved as the text had said they expected the wifi to be fixed by monday midday :roll: :roll:

Went for a game of pool with some friends, came back ready to do battle with A'I' only to find that the wifi box works again. TFFT!!!

Artificial Intelligence often isn't remotely I !!!! Unimpressed!! :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:00 pm It's not driving drunk that's annoying me these days, it's driving stoned, the amount of times I've followed a car on the bike and the thing has been blowing smoke out the windows like it's being driven by Cheech and Chong. I've been stopped dozens of times and breathalysed but I've never been tested for dope.
I once passed a dope test :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I painted the hallway in the wife's chosen colour yesterday. This morning she announces its too dark and she's going to get a lighter colour. So now i have to paint it white first, then put the new colour on. Just as well it was the small hallway and not the lounge I suppose...
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:31 am I painted the hallway in the wife's chosen colour yesterday. This morning she announces its too dark and she's going to get a lighter colour. So now i have to paint it white first, then put the new colour on. Just as well it was the small hallway and not the lounge I suppose...
Our hallway currently looks like a harlequin, we've spent more on tester pots than the actual paint would cost.
Thankfully I'm not painting the H,S&L - paid a man to do it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:04 am paid a man to do it.
Game changer ^

1000% easier and 6 thousand percent better job than I'd make of it. :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:07 am
Game changer ^

Yup. 4 or 5 days for a pro to do it, 2 or 3 weeks of constant moaning from me. No brainer.....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I don't mind painting. A lot of change for little effort and all that. Probably couldn't get anyone to do it anyway. Tried to get people round to quote for new flooring and composite decking but no one ever turns up! Phoned my double glazing man yesterday and asked about a new front door. He simply said can we catch up in the new year as i'm flat out at the moment. Cost of living crisis... :think:
Horse

Post by Horse »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:09 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:07 am
Game changer ^

Yup. 4 or 5 days for a pro to do it, 2 or 3 weeks of constant moaning from me. No brainer.....
And here too.

Easier ;) , and far quicker and better.

Plus, I'm not allowed up ladders now.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:31 am I painted the hallway in the wife's chosen colour yesterday. This morning she announces its too dark and she's going to get a lighter colour. So now i have to paint it white first, then put the new colour on. Just as well it was the small hallway and not the lounge I suppose...
Over here, everything is white. Inside and out :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:11 am I don't mind painting. A lot of change for little effort and all that. Probably couldn't get anyone to do it anyway. Tried to get people round to quote for new flooring and composite decking but no one ever turns up! Phoned my double glazing man yesterday and asked about a new front door. He simply said can we catch up in the new year as i'm flat out at the moment. Cost of living crisis... :think:
I'm the same with a lot of decorating, I find tradesmen want you to do much of the work for them and the bit they do is fairly easy.
Tilers really got me, I wanted my kitchen and bathroom retiled but tilers wanted the rooms stripped and walls perfect before they started. I'm still working on it today but we haven't had to go without while I try to organise three or four different trades to work in harmony.
Before we moved in we had it completely redecorated and refloored, the corners they cut still annoy me five years later.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The guys who did my HSL (plus a living room and two bedrooms TBF) were great. All I had to do was move furniture. They stripped carpet, prepped everything, painted everything, fixed some floorboard squeaks, sorted some sparkies to move switches/sockets, fixed a couple of skirting boards....

Did take 9 months to actually get to the point where they turned up though :lol:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:11 am I don't mind painting. A lot of change for little effort and all that.
I actually enjoy but the missus likes to see quick results, not in my timescales :D
We've been in this house just over a year and to be fair to myself I've done a whole lot of painting, so to pay this guy £1200 for the H,S&L is a treat.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 am
With Mrs T it'd be the wrong shade of white! :wtf:

So I'm getting back into it. Decided the faux paneling has soem gaps, so i'll caulk them. The paint has shown up a few things I missed, so i'll also fill them. I say to the wife I'll give all the doors a second coat then i'll sand back what I've just done and get a coat of white on there. So she says will you have time for all that as we're going to our daughters at 1 o'clock. :hmmm: She'll probably moan later that the decorating is taking ages! :?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When the pros did our walls (2005 build house BTW, so not exactly crooked with holes everywhere!) they did some prep, painted everything with a white(ish) base coat and then one 'top colour', then did a bunch more prep and then painted again. I know that's the good way to do cars as well, the first coat shows up the 'fine' prep work needed much better.

Looks great now...except when small children leave grubby hand prints. :think:

That's exactly the sort of thing I could not be arsed to do. :D
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

When did margarine become Plant Butter? :eh:
Lockdown refugee
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:40 am
Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 am
With Mrs T it'd be the wrong shade of white! :wtf:

So I'm getting back into it. Decided the faux paneling has soem gaps, so i'll caulk them. The paint has shown up a few things I missed, so i'll also fill them. I say to the wife I'll give all the doors a second coat then i'll sand back what I've just done and get a coat of white on there. So she says will you have time for all that as we're going to our daughters at 1 o'clock. :hmmm: She'll probably moan later that the decorating is taking ages! :?
I'd be planning a new patio.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire