The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Supermofo

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Supermofo »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:51 pm the last of my Lavazza
I had a bag of Lavazza (still got the dregs of it) and used it to compare with Wratty's. I like a lighter roast and the difference in look, aroma and, most importantly, taste, was overwhelming. Less overly roasted bitterness, more complex, lighter floral notes.

Gremlin. Unbelievably handsome and rugged brand ambassador to Waveney Valley Coffee.
To be fair I've moved to more Ethiopian coffee recently, but still like the odd crema e gusto Lavazza occasionally. It has a dark taste that makes a change to what I normally drink. And I find I like mixing things up so I don't get used to 1 taste and so appreciate the difference.

As I said the best coffee I've ever had I can't get :( I did ask but was told they get a sample but that was it. The main bulk gets sold on the market and blended up. Gutted as it has soooooooo much flavour. Freshly roasted it was and still warm when I got it.

Taylors did a limited edition single blend Ethiopian coffee and a Colombian i think it was that were decent but finished now.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm Just wondering if everyone was happy with their orders?

What did you think to the roasts? We don't murder the beans, and hope that people can actually taste the benefit of avoiding this all too common practice...
Personally i prefer a single bean coffee to the blends. All the roasts I've tried have been spot on.
non quod, sed quomodo
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm Just wondering if everyone was happy with their orders?

What did you think to the roasts? We don't murder the beans, and hope that people can actually taste the benefit of avoiding this all too common practice...
Only just dropped the beans in our machine as was using up a previous blend.
Lovely mellow flavour - I like a strong coffee but our previous beans gave a bitter taste too, no bitterness at all with these beans. Very happy, certainly be buying more from you :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I'm going to drink my way through a kilo of espresso Monsoon Malabar thank you very much!! Like the sound of that coffee and hope it lives up to the expectations! Thanks for the PromoCode, every bit helps!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

I roasted some quite deep, at request for the market we done this morning. I have some left over so any orders that come in over the weekend - I’ll chuck some in as a sample. It’s not my thing tbh - but some may like them if they like a dark roast.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

the_priest wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:16 pm I'm going to drink my way through a kilo of espresso Monsoon Malabar thank you very much!! Like the sound of that coffee and hope it lives up to the expectations! Thanks for the PromoCode, every bit helps!
Just roasted your order. Hope you enjoy it. Couple of samples chucked in as well as a few left over from yesterdays market.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I will be camping by my door tomorrow for the delivery of espresso. First I must clean the coffee machine though! At least I am at home tomorrow.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Coffee arrived. Well packaged, lovely 250gm bags, good quality and samples! Lots of biscotti too! Now onto the important bit.

What does it taste like? First off, lovely aroma, good crema and decent body. Smooth! Lovely afternotes and just so much nicer than the shop bought stuff. Best thing is that the wife really likes it. So we are onto a winner! Thanks again for a top quality service. Our one luxury item is so enjoyable!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

the_priest wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:27 pm Coffee arrived. Well packaged, lovely 250gm bags, good quality and samples! Lots of biscotti too! Now onto the important bit.

What does it taste like? First off, lovely aroma, good crema and decent body. Smooth! Lovely afternotes and just so much nicer than the shop bought stuff. Best thing is that the wife really likes it. So we are onto a winner! Thanks again for a top quality service. Our one luxury item is so enjoyable!
That’s great news. Hope you enjoy the samples too.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I'll give the samples a go tomorrow. Just need to find where the wife has hidden them as all kitchen counters must be kept clear!! The RULE! Small kitchen, so have to pack stuff away immediately.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Order placed for a monthly sub :thumbup: Decided on the variety pack as I like to try different things and can then hone in on my favs later. Still not got a grinder so went for the council house ground version.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 pm Order placed for a monthly sub :thumbup: Decided on the variety pack as I like to try different things and can then hone in on my favs later. Still not got a grinder so went for the council house ground version.
*snigger

Im using that on facebork at some point... as soon as the hate mail dies down from my chicken factory jobs post....
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

How's this for a big up for the coffee?

Got my order today and and ground up some beans*. F-I-L was looking on in interest and I explained about the gentle roast producing a less bitter flavour, etc, etc. He sniffed the beans and said they smelled really good, something different about them. This from a confirmed tea drinker. Asked him if he wanted some, frothed up some milk and made him a milky coffee.

His exacted words were that it was 'bloody lovely'. :thumbsup:

*The Rwandan Kinini. Unusual taste, still green but with a hint of spice in there. And 'bloody lovely' to boot.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Well, it don’t get much better tbh. This kind of feedback makes the long road to here seem worth the effort.

Cheers
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Made some Monsoon Malabar for a Church friend, his first cup of coffee at my home, and from the sounds of it not the last! He had a sip, looked up at me and said "this is absolutely gorgeous!" He was very taken with the lighter roast and I'm not surprised at all! I used to send my now deceased father coffee and this would have been a winner. Some things are more than the sum of parts. Good coffee is certainly a joy!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Good coffee is food of the gods, bad coffee is satans sperm. :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:55 pm How's this for a big up for the coffee?

Got my order today and and ground up some beans*. F-I-L was looking on in interest and I explained about the gentle roast producing a less bitter flavour, etc, etc. He sniffed the beans and said they smelled really good, something different about them. This from a confirmed tea drinker. Asked him if he wanted some, frothed up some milk and made him a milky coffee.

His exacted words were that it was 'bloody lovely'. :thumbsup:

*The Rwandan Kinini. Unusual taste, still green but with a hint of spice in there. And 'bloody lovely' to boot.
This gives me hope!!! Looking forward to getting home and order some coffee! (Will have to be the council house ground version!!!! :lol: :lol:
Not buying a grinder til I know I like coffee!!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
melons

Post by melons »

Two questions:
1/ What grind works best with an Aeropress?
2/ Recommendations for someone who loves both cortados & 'wake me up' espresso ?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

melons wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:33 pm Two questions:
1/ What grind works best with an Aeropress?
2/ Recommendations for someone who loves both cortados & 'wake me up' espresso ?
1) An espresso grind will work well - but many just use a filter grind.
2) For me, I'd pick the El Salvador or Hollies but that.s just me
inewham wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm Since an aeropress has a filter you can use a fine grind. It will also help stop the water filtering straight through before you get the plunger in if you don't make it inverted.

Colombian and Hollies blend tasted good in an aeropress but I've used used whatever I had in at the time and its all been good.
This ^ also.

The Colombian would also make reet nice Aeropress, probably the only one I'm not convinced would be as good would be the Brazilian. That makes awesome filter/black but for me, it's a bit lacking in the espresso types of brew. However, that said, we sell quite a bit of it to people who do use it in espresso.

My favoured brew is also a double shot cortado - I think this style highlights many coffees true taste (assuming you like some milk). I find neat espresso makes me need a glass of water afterwards.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Coffee arrived this afternoon in a box that smelt amazing as I opened it 8-) Thanks for the biscuits too. I've had 2 coffee's today so will try them out tomorrow. Might start with the Monsoon M first or the Rwandan . Cheers Ratty.