Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

Re: Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

Post by Mr Moofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:57 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 am I love the snobbery around MaccyDees - having worked with then for 6 years they offer what they offer. A consistent offering around the world at a reasonable price.
There was certain joy in leaving the food minefield on Shanghai, and having a Big Mac before flying home.
Food quality is actually very good - certainly better than the average takeaway is you local area. Food hygiene , traceability , storage etc are all top notch. There is a maximum holding time of all products - so you will never get something days old.

There maybe a difference in owner operator stores and franchise stores - it it is closely policed. That said the one on the M42 toll road services southbound ( who will be run by one of the big leisure industry companies) is awful.

As for getting the shits from the, I would suggest maybe you wash your hands better next time!...
People are really keen to blame food service outlets for gut maladies. Most of the time it is your own personal hygiene , or that of your kitchen / storage / leaving out takeaway food at ambient then eating next day that will cause your pebble dashing trips
My 17 year old son has just started working at McDonalds, he's cooking burgers, his food hygiene training was a 5 minute chat with the manager, he's not keen on his new nickname "Spongebob"
Before he put on PPE gloves, hairnet, hat etc...
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:58 am Plus...who's raving about Maccy Ds? :lol:

I've never had the shits from them and the food is always hot and conveniently located. I don't expect much else.
TBH, I think the food offerings from most takeaways is pretty poor. If you add in Deliveroo then it is only going to degrade
cheb

Post by cheb »

I can't think of any food I'd actively avoid, rhubarb comes closest I think. Too sour to me, possibly because like repels like.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 am There was certain joy in leaving the food minefield on Shanghai, and having a Big Mac before flying home.
My first ever Big Mac was on Orchard Road in Singapore. It was packed with locals. I quite enjoyed it. :thumbup: (It was quite relaxing after Newton Car Park, Bugis Street etc!).

Then used to have one a week when I briefly lived in a London place without a proper kitchen. (Survived on curries, Chinese, falafel, Spud-u-Like etc...didn't do my waistline much good but limited the damage by burning lots of calories :D ).

Big Macs are not as good as they used to be...the buns now are totally meh.

I even thought Subway was OK the first time I went in one.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I can't remember the last time I had a McBurger, used to have one a week when I was commuting to work as a break from the usual packed salad lunches, so it must have been before Covid times.

Their chicken wraps are decent enough, not up to KFC spec but tasty enough and put together well enough to serve as a quick lunch on the go.

I have still yet to try a Subway, still never eaten honey either.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Can't stand the stink of McDonald's. You can usually smell them way before they come into sight.

Not good for a food establishment.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Plus, McDonalds food is the food most likely to have had kitchen staff ejaculate into it.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Ant wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:06 am Plus, McDonalds food is the food most likely to have had kitchen staff ejaculate into it.

Is that to bring the protein levels up to what is advertised?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lutin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 am Can't stand the stink of McDonald's. You can usually smell them way before they come into sight.

On my old commute i used to often get caught at the lights outside a McDonalds and you're right the place smells awful. I also find Subway has a similar whiff about it?

If I got forced into buying the kids takeaways, then i used to find Burger King a lot better and would eat one of their burgers, but mostly went without if McDs was the choice. I do concede McDs have upped their game in the last 20+ years, but I don't think anyone would describe it as quality fayre lol! I've just reminded myself of Jamie Oliver outing the pink slime thing! :sick:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:00 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 am I love the snobbery around MaccyDees - having worked with then for 6 years they offer what they offer. A consistent offering around the world at a reasonable price.
There was certain joy in leaving the food minefield on Shanghai, and having a Big Mac before flying home.
Food quality is actually very good - certainly better than the average takeaway is you local area. Food hygiene , traceability , storage etc are all top notch. There is a maximum holding time of all products - so you will never get something days old.

There maybe a difference in owner operator stores and franchise stores - it it is closely policed. That said the one on the M42 toll road services southbound ( who will be run by one of the big leisure industry companies) is awful.

As for getting the shits from the, I would suggest maybe you wash your hands better next time!...
People are really keen to blame food service outlets for gut maladies. Most of the time it is your own personal hygiene , or that of your kitchen / storage / leaving out takeaway food at ambient then eating next day that will cause your pebble dashing trips
My 17 year old son has just started working at McDonalds, he's cooking burgers, his food hygiene training was a 5 minute chat with the manager, he's not keen on his new nickname "Spongebob"
Oh no he didn't, no gloves, no hairnet, and he's got a lot of hair.
I do find it interesting that you think you know more about the McDonalds my son works in than I do, I picked him up after his shift and we had a 15 minute chat about what his first time at work was like.
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:36 pm

I do find it interesting that you think you know more about the McDonalds my son works in than I do, I picked him up after his shift and we had a 15 minute chat about what his first time at work was like.
Probably because you are talking to your son for 15 minutes and I worked with them for 6 years throughout Europe and the USA. In real terms I know nothing about the MaccyDees your son works at (which sound like a really crap one) - but quite a lot about McDonald's.
I take it it's a franchisee?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Lutin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 am Can't stand the stink of McDonald's. You can usually smell them way before they come into sight.

If I got forced into buying the kids takeaways, then i used to find Burger King a lot better and would eat one of their burgers, but mostly went without if McDs was the choice. I do concede McDs have upped their game in the last 20+ years, but I don't think anyone would describe it as quality fayre lol! I've just reminded myself of Jamie Oliver outing the pink slime thing! :sick:
Subway is something else - I have been in there to eat ( with my professional hat on) once. The stuff they use is the lowest of the low - true catering cold cuts. The bread has an amazingly sweet / nasty smell to it.
I am happy that you avoid it - and surprised that people still frequent it!

MaccyDees customers like the offerings - if you don't then the best thing is to not go. They actually look at piping the smell into stores and consumers love it.
Oddly, McDs consumers really like the soft , squidgy buns. When we were developing something for them, we put it in a Ciabatta bun - the product was absolutely great. The test consumers hated the bun!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:45 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:36 pm

Probably because you are talking to your son for 15 minutes and I worked with them for 6 years throughout Europe and the USA. In real terms I know nothing about the MaccyDees your son works at (which sound like a really crap one) - but quite a lot about McDonald's.
I take it it's a franchisee?
I have no idea if it's a franchise or not, and in my experience they're all of a similar standard, that's not a bad standard, they're always clean and the food is what it is, fairly bland but edible, but they're not supposed to be a fine dining experience, I've definitely eaten in worse places than McDonalds, and of the chain fast food places in the UK I think McDonalds is the best of them.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Do Subway do hot food? I've never been in a UK one (we didn't have them here when I did buy food in one, it's a few years ago). All I remember is choose your own fillings for a 'sub' sandwich. It was rather good tbh.
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm Do Subway do hot food? I've never been in a UK one (we didn't have them here when I did buy food in one, it's a few years ago). All I remember is choose your own fillings for a 'sub' sandwich. It was rather good tbh.
They will toast your sandwich if you want them to, I quite like Subway, you get a big sandwich full of salad and tuna for £3.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:35 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:18 pm Do Subway do hot food? I've never been in a UK one (we didn't have them here when I did buy food in one, it's a few years ago). All I remember is choose your own fillings for a 'sub' sandwich. It was rather good tbh.
They will toast your sandwich if you want them to, I quite like Subway, you get a big sandwich full of salad and tuna for £3.
If that's all they do I can't see why there should be any smells coming out of them. :hmmm:

I'll have to check out the local one. It's one of those places I walk past without noticing sort of thing. Wonder if their coffee is any good? Although we have an independent juice bar that does reasonable coffee it might do if I'm at the wrong end of the High Street.
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've eaten more Macdonalds food in the 7 years I've done winter transfers than in all the rest of my life!!

It's a last resort for me. Their coffee is too strong for me too, so there's no positive.

I'm not really a fan of burgers in general, so wouldn't have one in any takeaway place.

I generally go for chicken nuggets ( or similar) or if really desperate a chicken burger.

Not sure it's much better, but at least I can eat it (the texture of the burgers puts me off!)

Sadly, the one I use on transfers is just outside Geneva, but back in France (Ferney) and it's rank in general before you get to the food!! The one near Grenoble airport is better and the one down in the valley from here isn't too bad.

I'd still prefer to buy a sarnie in the supermarket if the timing works for that!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:22 pm If that's all they do I can't see why there should be any smells coming out of them. :hmmm:
Subway have a very particular smell. I assume its piped in, or its something about their bread, but I'd recognise it a mile off. I can't remember the last time I ate in one either!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:16 am
Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 pm I love a Lambs Liver with Bacon and Onions with Gravy and some proper Mash pots! - A must in any proper west country establishment!

Chickens hearts are pretty tasty - Chickens Livers however are horrible - maybe this is why a lot of people don't like liver and onions as sometimes pubs cheap out on chicken livers!
You'd know if you had been served chicken liver instead of veal/lamb. They're tiny! I suspect the reason many people say they don't like

Chicken liver parfait is lovely and piss easy to make.
Pretty much all of the Livers i have had have been sliced up into strips.

I had some rotten horrible meal of Liver and Bacon once in a fairly good gaff but it was rank! - asked about it and they said it was chickens liver!

Please teach me tough as i am no expert here by far... :thumbup:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:55 pm I've eaten more Macdonalds food in the 7 years I've done winter transfers than in all the rest of my life!!

It's a last resort for me. Their coffee is too strong for me too, so there's no positive.

I'm not really a fan of burgers in general, so wouldn't have one in any takeaway place.

I generally go for chicken nuggets ( or similar) or if really desperate a chicken burger.

Not sure it's much better, but at least I can eat it (the texture of the burgers puts me off!)

Sadly, the one I use on transfers is just outside Geneva, but back in France (Ferney) and it's rank in general before you get to the food!! The one near Grenoble airport is better and the one down in the valley from here isn't too bad.

I'd still prefer to buy a sarnie in the supermarket if the timing works for that!!!
The last McD I had was at the on on the left hand side (if you're heading to the airport) of Lake Annecy. It was my first in about 8 years and we only went as my partner had been delayed through airports all day and she was starving.

Soggy bap, wet lettuce, the smallest piece of bacon I've ever seen, served with cold chips. The coke was OK.