Anyone else starting to think, plan, sort for the coming spring ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
dern

Re: Anyone else starting to think, plan, sort for the coming spring ?

Post by dern »

I was desperate to get out. Spent hours making a real mess of a swing arm and some paint stripper. It was a good ride.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Pissed it down in Swansea all weekend but all was not lost - oil / filter change on the Harley and numerous conversations of a little weekend in France @ the end of March. Portsmouth / Caen then Rouen and about a bit and back Monday.

Why not...
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Got a phone call from the dealer yesterday to arrange a time to pick my GS up.

I was going to wait till the 2nd as I know they’ve got 25 bikes to shift and I thought I’d do them a favour and leave mine a day.

But no…he was insistent that as I was looking forward to it I should have priority and the 1st would do (salesman patter obviously but he’s good at it). So I said midday.

2 minutes later I’d to phone him back because I’d set up insurance to start on the 2nd :crazy:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Didn't get round to cleaning my bike at the weekend, so as I was filthy anyway, I thought i'd stretch its legs on some back roads that are always filthy at this time of year. Must have been a local diversion as there was traffic everywhere! :roll: The moments I did find were enjoyable though. Such a sublime engine in these bikes! :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:44 am Didn't get round to cleaning my bike at the weekend, so as I was filthy anyway, I thought i'd stretch its legs on some back roads that are always filthy at this time of year. Must have been a local diversion as there was traffic everywhere! :roll: The moments I did find were enjoyable though. Such a sublime engine in these bikes! :thumbup:
Riding mine the other day i couldn't help but think it'd be just a smidgen nicer with another 10bhp to excite.... Not another 30 or 40 though like the MT09, but another 10... But it's a lovely smooth effortless engine. As with all smaller powered bikes you do really need at times to give it a proper spanking to get the best out of it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:50 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:44 am Didn't get round to cleaning my bike at the weekend, so as I was filthy anyway, I thought i'd stretch its legs on some back roads that are always filthy at this time of year. Must have been a local diversion as there was traffic everywhere! :roll: The moments I did find were enjoyable though. Such a sublime engine in these bikes! :thumbup:
Riding mine the other day i couldn't help but think it'd be just a smidgen nicer with another 10bhp to excite.... Not another 30 or 40 though like the MT09, but another 10... But it's a lovely smooth effortless engine. As with all smaller powered bikes you do really need at times to give it a proper spanking to get the best out of it.
The other day I did find myself agreeing with what MoFos Bro had said, there is no top end. Its unlikely I'll ever come up with that opinion again as I'm normally just working with the midrange and aren't a quick rider etc, but on a brief blat the other day I suddenly found i'd hit the throttle stop unexpectedly and run out of power when I was expecting it to keep pulling. But for 95% of my riding, its got all the power I'll likely need. Addictive sound and the noise level provided by the new system is bang on for me. :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Just booked another talk into the diary - this one is for mid-June in Devon. With a bit of luck the weather will be good enough to take the bike!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:18 am
The other day I did find myself agreeing with what MoFos Bro had said, there is no top end. Its unlikely I'll ever come up with that opinion again as I'm normally just working with the midrange and aren't a quick rider etc, but on a brief blat the other day I suddenly found i'd hit the throttle stop unexpectedly and run out of power when I was expecting it to keep pulling. But for 95% of my riding, its got all the power I'll likely need. Addictive sound and the noise level provided by the new system is bang on for me. :thumbup:
I'm a mid-range man myself and have never yet hit the rev limiter - not least because I had a manual NC that only revved to just over 6k, as you know. (I see you have the DCT, so you're not going to hit the limiter at all on your NC.) I do occasionally take the Tracer up into the 7-8k range and I like to kid myself it sounds like a Formula One car :D :)
tricol

Post by tricol »

Don't want to jinx it, but it's looking good for a blast out on Sunday....seems like it should stay dry at low levels and the wind should dry most things out for then.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:23 pm I'm starting to fill out the diary with presentations for spring and summer.

So far I have talks booked in Uffington, Uxbridge (March), New Zealand (via Zoom unfortunately), Rochester (April) and Truro (May).
Just seen this...what are your dates in Truro? And who are you talking to? I'll come along if I can, as long as it doesn't clash with....

Just booked our usual trip to the NW200, which we haven't managed for 2 years. L'pool- Belfast had no bike spaces at all on 7th May so they had to invent 2 more, and the return trip, 16th, had 5 left, 2 of which we got. That's very early to be booked up, so it sounds like it'll be busy, which is not surprising after 2 years of not happening.
And a Dave Thorpe weekend booked but not till Nov. In the meantime I'm still getting the SDGT filthy as this is daffodil season and the back roads are a muddy mess.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Wossname wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:30 pm Just seen this...what are your dates in Truro? And who are you talking to? I'll come along if I can, as long as it doesn't clash with....

Just booked our usual trip to the NW200, which we haven't managed for 2 years. L'pool- Belfast had no bike spaces at all on 7th May so they had to invent 2 more, and the return trip, 16th, had 5 left, 2 of which we got. That's very early to be booked up, so it sounds like it'll be busy, which is not surprising after 2 years of not happening.
And a Dave Thorpe weekend booked but not till Nov. In the meantime I'm still getting the SDGT filthy as this is daffodil season and the back roads are a muddy mess.
It's Cornwall IAM and the actual venue is Ladock Village Hall, about 5 miles NE of Truro. Date is Tue 24 May at 7pm.

I'm hoping to get there on the bike with SWMBO and have a short break, but it does depend on the weather (and how many of my books I can fit on the bike after she fills the luggage with shoes. If it looks rubbish, it'll have to be the car.

Enjoy the NW200... still on my list!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Whysub wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm Rode to Cartagena circuit (not too far away) two weeks ago, as some Moto GP riders were testing.

Going up to Salamanca for a few days in mid February, and off to Czechia and Slovakia in early May. Hopefully the Austrian passes will be open by then, otherwise a detour needed.
Just slotted in a few days ride up through Spain to the French side of the Pyrenees and back. Weather and roads superb, and the higher passes were open to traffic.

Whilst there we decided to sort out a ride to the Balkans in August , and I am also going to Flash's for a weekend in September.

Next planned trip is not until May, so will look to do a week long trip to somewhere in Spain before then.
dern

Post by dern »

I can confirm that it is still bastard cold out there.

dern

Post by dern »

There were a hell of a lot of bikes out earlier this afternoon. Passed several groups of sports bike riders and ktms super dukes. No Ducatis or Harleys, obviously.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

dern wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:29 pm No Ducatis or Harleys, obviously.
Bloody right, we ain't daft.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I changed the engine oil and filter, like every winter.

Also I think (been wrong before) I’ve fixed a leak from the sump plate.
dern

Post by dern »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:54 pm
dern wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:29 pm No Ducatis or Harleys, obviously.
Bloody right, we ain't daft.
It was nice until the rain started to settle and my core started to freeze and then it wasn't.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

About now I had planned to be down at the garage and working on the access to it so I could ride in a couple of weeks.

Best laid plans and all :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
tricol

Post by tricol »

I was out again today for a couple of hours. Sunshine was great, but my goodness it was cold. Took me a while warm up when I got home. Think I might wait until it creeps into double figures.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'd love to get out. I don't mind the cold,I've got heated gear. They've been gritting dry roads here now for 4 days and they are a black,slippery mess. I ain't going anywhere for a while yet.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955