That was bloody close.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scotsrich

Re: That was bloody close.

Post by Scotsrich »

I loved the bike in the short time I had it so I’m considering a 1250.

If the 1200 was good the 1250 must be better…right?

There’s a choice of 3 in the BMW dealer that I bought the 1200 from so if I put in another £2k I’ll have my pick. (Depending of course what Direct Line offer me).

As for salvage the idea does appeal but it would need to be really really cheap or it’s going to be more bother than it’s worth.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Mussels wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 pm So the engine protectors knackered the engine and wrote off the bike?
I must find out how my brother's getting on. He did drop the bike after the van coming the other way didn't quite stop and hit him whilst he was stationary.

I was already guessing it might be a right off.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Mussels wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 pm So the engine protectors knackered the engine and wrote off the bike?

The engine was a large part of it on this occasion but generally I think it’s the parts prices that’s a killer.

They had a 1250 in the showroom that I looked at.

The salesman I was chatting to looked it up on his system and turned the screen round to let me see it. It had hit gravel and the guy came off at slowish speed. It needed a new front wheel, headlight (near enough a grand itself) front beak and other bits n bobs as you would expect in an accident like that.

£8.5k in total. It doesn’t take much to add up to a stupid amount.

Hats off to the salesman, he went and asked the guy who repaired it how the accident happened and if the bike was ‘good as new’ and he said he’d have no doubts about selling it.

As an aside after the accident the guys wife made him sell it :lol:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Latest in the saga (sorry to go on)

Direct Line got the dealers estimate and they want their own engineer to have a look at the bike.

Quite honestly I’m not really shocked as it looks fine and doesn’t appear at first glance to justify the bill.

Anyway that’s not for another week so stuck in limbo just now.

If they somehow wrangle the bike getting repaired (which I doubt) I’ll be happy keeping it.
If not I think going how strong second hand prices are just now I’ll bite the bullet and order a new 1250. Drawback of that is BMW are only building to order and it wouldn’t be here till the end of Nov so I would probably wait for the new reg in March.

I’m not used to planning anything that far ahead and it seems ages.