Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:02 am I've had a little chuckle reading this thread. Some of you hate pensioners (the Toxic Elderly) so much that you give the impression that you're never going to be one and here you are telling us how toxic you intend to be! :lol:

However, this Toxic Elderly person hopes all your pension wishes come true. Just remember, when you do eventually retire, you might want a hobby or two to see you through the day (not too expensive ones though), or of course a little job stacking shelves in Tesco's. ;)
I might actually like a little job. We shouldn't need extra income, so I might even do volunteer work, but if lockdown taught me anything, it taught me that I need something to do and not something solitary either. As much as I like bikes, going for solo rides each day would end up boring me and I'd miss company too. I'd rather have a convertible and take the wife with me like I do now. I don't have any hobbies or such, although the occasional bit of fishing appeals.

I hate winter as it kinda shuts you indoors and I like outdoor living, hence why we'd always planned to be snowbirds. As much as I love summer and the heat, I also love spring and seeing the place wake up and the fauna come to life etc. So I think, like Mrs Weeksy, we'd miss the seasons, or part thereof lol.

I think the thing that would really stop us actually emigrating is Grandkids should we get them? Both the wife and I love kids and neither of us would want to be hundred of miles away and rarely seeing them. When i consider that, then owning a property abroad does appeal as we could flit back and forth and still be part of their lives.

To any of this we'll need our health and sadly the wife is starting to have a few issues and we both seem to have the onset, or rather onslaught :roll: , of arthritis, but that may drive us into the sunnier climes? All of the above is probably why I just think about things, rather than actually try to plan, iyswim? Man proposes, God disposes and all that...
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:14 am
I hear you, but the problem is that Mrs Weeksy wants 'seasons'. I'll sit here without the benefit of foresight and say, i don't. But it could be one of those things you never really know until it happens, maybe i'd miss the greenery and the seasons if i lived on one of your islands, maybe the blackness of the terrain would drag me down, but you know something, i don't think it would actually. I think i'd be fine with it and happy doing the same sort of thing there of running bicycle trips and tours around some/all of them, maybe even a bit of island hopping trips with e-bikes and lunch on another island, then back for the evening...

It's something to ponder but as i say, persuading the wife may be tricky. If Portimao doesn't happen, the odds are we'll be spending a week in October over on Lanz/another, we've spent 3-4 summer holidays there, it may be my chance to say "wouldn't it be lovely to live here full times" and sow the seed to her for the future, taking the capital from the house, along with the take-out from the pension would mean i could set up the 'business' side of things effortlessly in terms of cash, then just needing to fill it with customers, but with people on here and people on other forums, i think i could make that work.
I know I've said this before, but wherever you live is just somewhere to live, it doesn't really change very much once you get over the initial excitement of being somewhere different. I suppose what I'm saying is that if you're happy then you'll be happy in a new place and vice versa.

One thing I'm fairly sure of though is that all things being equal it's a little bit easier to get up in a morning if the sun is shining.

I'd be happy in either of the two places you linked to but I'd prefer the Spanish place because if I have the choice then I prefer to be near an ocean, but if it was the other place then I'd make do with what I had. If I was of the mindset that life is a load of bollocks then I'd be just as unhappy in either place.

I think the same goes for the shelf stacking in Tesco. If I feel like I've had a full life then I'd be ok stacking shelves a few days a week, but if I felt like I hadn't then I'd be pretty fed up at having to do it.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My lot shut my final salary scheme a few years back, but it's still trundling along, beating inflation (at present) and guarantees me a reasonable salary as long as I keep breathing, and I intend to uphold my part of the bargain for a reasonably long time.

In replacement, they gave me a decent DB scheme, contributing 24% of my salary into the pot. That's been running for around 3 years now. Having this second pension is, I'm advised, not such a bad thing (yeah, the FS pension being closed was a pisser, the predicted numbers were spectacular) as I can treat them separately, which gives flexibility.

There's some other bits and bobs I can dip into if needs be.

I ain't gonna be rockin' up to the golf club in a Bentley, but I think we'll be ok.

The main thing for me is not having a mortgage on Chez Gremlin and it's worth a fair bit, which means once the Gremlinette (16 years-old) is off our hands we can downsize and use that money to give up the slog if we want to. I'm currently 51 and I always said 55 was the right time to retire, but in fairness, I ain't digging ditches in winter and the money's fairly good, so we'll have to see. I'll have done 24 years at my place in March. Finish year 25 and I get a half-decent watch given to me and I think that's when I'll start to consider my options.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:18 am "Seasons" means getting 6 months cold, dark and wet. And short days.
Not necessarily. We have seasons and while we get wet winters ( a necessity when your water comes straight out of the ground) it doesn't rain every day and we have a lot of beautiful weather this time of year. The rain of course helps to keep everything green and growing which is something we feel differently about (although I was amused by your waxing lyrical about how green your island was a few days ago).

Cold and dark? Meh.

The almond trees will be in blossom soon around here and locally we grow a lot of oranges - they're a winter fruit so add a bit of colour to all the green. :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:57 am I'm really not sure what that aspect will bring but it was mentioned by Mrs Weeksy last night too. "what exactly are you going to do when you retire" and it's really a very good Qn. S
My 'rents both retired almost exactly 3 years ago when my Dad was 61 and my Mum 60. They both pretty much still work a 9-5, just for free now!

They volunteer a lot at the local hospital and a charity for the blind. My mum also 'teaches' various arts/craft lessons for a nominal fee - or at least she did until Covid.

For them retirement hasn't really slowed them down at all, all it means is that they're free to go away on caravan holidays at very short notice and stuff like that. I've actually joked with my Mum that she should get a job since she likes working so much, the only reason she hasn't is 'cause she doesn't want to steal one from a young person at the moment.

EDIT: Oh, and the big thing they've started doing since retirement is running! We had to nag them to do a parkrun 5k with us (which my Dad walked), now they're doing 10k events all the time :D MY Dad has run more in the past year than he did in the previous 30 combined.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yambo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:25 am
Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:18 am "Seasons" means getting 6 months cold, dark and wet. And short days.
Not necessarily. We have seasons and while we get wet winters ( a necessity when your water comes straight out of the ground) it doesn't rain every day and we have a lot of beautiful weather this time of year. The rain of course helps to keep everything green and growing which is something we feel differently about (although I was amused by your waxing lyrical about how green your island was a few days ago).

Cold and dark? Meh.

The almond trees will be in blossom soon around here and locally we grow a lot of oranges - they're a winter fruit so add a bit of colour to all the green. :thumbup:
My comments were aimed at UK and northern Europe. You went to where you are for similar reasons to us.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 am

Cold and dark? Meh.

My comments were aimed at UK and northern Europe. You went to where you are for similar reasons to us.
To rub our noses in it?

;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 am

Cold and dark? Meh.

To rub our noses in it?

;)
Look at what your house is worth. Can get summat really nice here for €350k and cheap as chips to live.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:59 am
Look at what your house is worth. Can get summat really nice here for €350k and cheap as chips to live.
That's why i was looking at Orgiva/Burgundy, something 'nice' is closer to £200k over in either of those places. I don't think stretching to £350k would really work.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:04 am
That's why i was looking at Orgiva/Burgundy, something 'nice' is closer to £200k over in either of those places. I don't think stretching to £350k would really work.
350k is a place by the sea with a pool. Much cheaper inland.

And in Euros
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

To rub our noses in it?

;)
I'd be keeping our place here and would be looking for a second home. I have to say, the Canaries were never on my radar, but you've done a good job of selling the place. I certainly see it in a different light now. That said, i think southern Spain is where I want to go, but I've got to talk the wife out of Italy first. Unfortunately we had a couple of blinding holidays there and she prefers Italian food to Spanish. D'oh!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:19 am

To rub our noses in it?

;)
I'd be keeping our place here and would be looking for a second home. I have to say, the Canaries were never on my radar, but you've done a good job of selling the place. I certainly see it in a different light now. That said, i think southern Spain is where I want to go, but I've got to talk the wife out of Italy first. Unfortunately we had a couple of blinding holidays there and she prefers Italian food to Spanish. D'oh!
Oh bollox. I might have you and Gremlin over here :(

Italy is much nicer. Yes. Go there.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am
For them retirement hasn't really slowed them down at all, all it means is that they're free to go away on caravan holidays at very short notice and stuff like that.
I've had two conversations this week where I talked about Fame, Power, Money and Freedom.
You can't have them all, the first two are a curse and I only want the last one, but in order to get the last one you need Money.

I've only ever wanted the freedom to be able to wake up and decide to do whatever I want.
But ironically I found that the more I manage to be able afford to do whatever I want, the simpler my desires are and the more altruistic I feel.

Your parents sounds blissfully happy, they could probably do all sorts of things but they choose to give their time to other people for free.
I reckon it takes a very happy and contented person to do that.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'd be keeping our place here and would be looking for a second home.
I wouldn't bother, just rent somewhere for three months over winter then hand it back.
Keeping a second home abroad just for when you feel like it is just a millstone round your neck unless you're minted.

I keep our house in the UK but it doesn't feel like home anymore and it's just a liability and a bit of a pain to be honest. I could argue it's possibly an appreciating asset but it's costing me money just sitting there.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 am
Oh bollox. I might have you and Gremlin over here :(

Italy is much nicer. Yes. Go there.
Think of the pluses, I may bring the mighty NC700X with me...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am
I wouldn't bother, just rent somewhere for three months over winter then hand it back.
Keeping a second home abroad just for when you feel like it is just a millstone round your neck unless you're minted.

I keep our house in the UK but it doesn't feel like home anymore and it's just a liability and a bit of a pain to be honest. I could argue it's possibly an appreciating asset but it's costing me money just sitting there.
Nah, i wouldn't keep the home here i don't think. Unless i did it as a trial and rented somewhere for 12 months on the continent as a 'tester' and then would make a decision.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 am
Potter wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am

Nah, i wouldn't keep the home here i don't think. Unless i did it as a trial and rented somewhere for 12 months on the continent as a 'tester' and then would make a decision.
That's the obvious sensible answer. We rented 12 months then looked to buy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 am
Your parents sounds blissfully happy, they could probably do all sorts of things but they choose to give their time to other people for free.
The only reason they haven't sold up and moved to Florida is 'cause they've got such amazing children to see :thumbup:

Personally I have no real plans for what I'm gonna do in retirement 'cause it's so far away, but by making sure I've got at least 'enough' money I'm setting up options now. If you asked me right now what I can see myself doing, I quite fancy being a leather-patches-on-the-elbows-retired-engineer Uni lecturer like I had when I was a student, never handing back coursework on time and working 1.5 days a week. We'll see when we get there :D
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:34 am
Potter wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 am
The only reason they haven't sold up and moved to Florida is 'cause they've got such amazing children to see :thumbup:
and there's you as well :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 am
I know someone utterly miserable because they moved and financially trapped themselves because they can't afford to buy a UK house anywhere decent and move back now.

Everyone I know that tried living abroad and ended up back in the UK loved it abroad, then didn't and came back around three to five years later.
The first year is just a whirlwind, the second year is getting settled, the third year is reflection and then after that you know whether you're staying.

I've just had a moan about our UK house but it's been a comfort knowing it was there to run to if we needed it.