In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
ZRX61

Re: In todays news...

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:12 pm The announcement comes just days after Fox News settled a defamation lawsuit from the voting machine company Dominion over its coverage of the 2020 presidential election.

In the lawsuit, Dominion argued that its business was harmed by Fox spreading false claims its machines were rigged against Mr Trump.

The case prompted disclosures of text messages that showed Mr Carlson's private views contrasted with his on-air output.
$787Million pay out to Dominion...
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:50 pm $787Million pay out to Dominion...
This one really stinks. There was a ton of very suspicious activity surrounding the whole election farce. Fox News reported on many of these allegations including eye witness accounts, inexplicable fire alarms clearing the counting houses, the amazing speed at which all documents were shredded etc. There was a LOT of inexplicable and suspicious activity, not to mention the statistically improbable "swings" which occurred after hours.

But Fox did not stand a chance in this defamation lawsuit because the judge unilaterally declared all the claims mad by Fox were false!

As soon as he said that, it was only ever going to be a question of how much money Dominion were going to get.

Oh and for anyone who thinks "these claims went to court" they really didn't. All of the allegations and eye witness accounts and even the extraordinary video evidence was never actually examined. The cases were dismissed on a technicality. Incredibly, Dominion never handed over a single machine for inspection even after it was discovered they were in fact connected to an external network.

All smoke and mirrors. A sad day for democracy and free speech.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:24 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:50 pm $787Million pay out to Dominion...
But Fox did not stand a chance in this defamation lawsuit because the judge unilaterally declared all the claims mad by Fox were false!

As soon as he said that, it was only ever going to be a question of how much money Dominion were going to get.

Oh and for anyone who thinks "these claims went to court" they really didn't. All of the allegations and eye witness accounts and even the extraordinary video evidence was never actually examined. The cases were dismissed on a technicality.
I thought fox opted for an out of court settlement in order to avoid a defamation case for claims for which they had absolutely no evidence to back up? If they did have compelling evidence why didn’t they go to court and present it? They could have saved themselves £787 million.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:41 pm I thought fox opted for an out of court settlement in order to avoid a defamation case for claims for which they had absolutely no evidence to back up? If they did have compelling evidence why didn’t they go to court and present it?
I thought that's what the reports said too.

But there's another similar case imminent, so they can present their evidence then.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:41 pm I thought fox opted for an out of court settlement in order to avoid a defamation case for claims for which they had absolutely no evidence to back up? If they did have compelling evidence why didn’t they go to court and present it? They could have saved themselves £787 million.
Because the Democrat installed judge decided before it went to court that all of the claims made by Fox were false.

Cue every single MSM reporting machine churning out the same carefully chosen phrasing about "lies" and "misinformation" without ever detailing what those claims were or whatever evidence there may have been to support or deny them.

It really is that simple. Chances are they got Tucker fired as part of the deal.

Like I say. It stinks.
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 pm It really is that simple. Chances are they got Tucker fired as part of the deal.

Like I say. It stinks.
Tucker got fired because his own emails indicate he thought the stuff he was stating on his show as fact was bullshit & he knew it was bullshit.. The guy did come up with some good stuff, but it was always followed by the most off the wall crap that destroyed the credibility of stuff that was actually credible.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 pm
Because the Democrat installed judge decided before it went to court that all of the claims made by Fox were false.

Cue every single MSM reporting machine churning out the same carefully chosen phrasing about "lies" and "misinformation" without ever detailing what those claims were or whatever evidence there may have been to support or deny them.

It really is that simple. Chances are they got Tucker fired as part of the deal.

Like I say. It stinks.
That’s a strange version of the facts Screwd. The judge said there was a case to answer, and as depositions from the Fox management team showed that they had been aware that what they were reporting was untrue you can see why.

It had gone to trial, they were in the middle of opening statements when Fox decided it would be cheaper to backtrack and settle.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:50 am

Like I say. It stinks.
That’s a strange version of the facts Screwd. The judge said there was a case to answer, and as depositions from the Fox management team showed that they had been aware that what they were reporting was untrue you can see why.

It had gone to trial, they were in the middle of opening statements when Fox decided it would be cheaper to backtrack and settle.
It also misses the point of the case which was that Dominion was accused by Fox of being complicit in rigging an election. So all the stuff about fire alarms and shredding yadda yadda yadda is irrelevant to this case.

If there's any actual evidence that Dominion were complicit Fox could have presented it. If Screwd has evidence he could have given it to Fox. There isn't any.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Fox said:
“We acknowledge the Court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false.”

Even they don't believe it?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:36 am
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 pm It really is that simple. Chances are they got Tucker fired as part of the deal.

Like I say. It stinks.
Tucker got fired because his own emails indicate he thought the stuff he was stating on his show as fact was bullshit & he knew it was bullshit.. The guy did come up with some good stuff, but it was always followed by the most off the wall crap that destroyed the credibility of stuff that was actually credible.
There is certainly some merit in that opinion. We should remember Tucker is/was an employee and is expected to do whatever Rupert Murdoch tells him to do. It is no surprise to me that on occasion (!) media companies will want to run sensationalist stories...

Knowing Tucker Carlson, he will go on to produce possibly the most popular (populist?) channel launched this century so we might not have to wait too long to find out what happened here.
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 pm Because the Democrat installed judge decided before it went to court that all of the claims made by Fox were false.

Like I say. It stinks.

That is my take on it and I have no doubt whatsoever the exact same facts will be presented from an entirely opposite viewpoint.

The Fox Corporation is a huge operation, Fox News is also a very large organisation. There are thousands of employees. In the years during which the election fraud was being investigated, I have no doubt you could cherry pick snippets of conversations or texts/emails that would "prove" whatever you want.
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:06 am

Like I say. It stinks.

It also misses the point of the case which was that Dominion was accused by Fox of being complicit in rigging an election. So all the stuff about fire alarms and shredding yadda yadda yadda is irrelevant to this case.

If there's any actual evidence that Dominion were complicit Fox could have presented it. If Screwd has evidence he could have given it to Fox. There isn't any.
I'll tell you what's missing: an investigation into those claims that the Dominion machines were in fact network connected and did in fact have the facility to manipulate the count. If I recall correctly, they (Dominion) were subpoenaed but refused to hand over a single machine for inspection.

Remember, these particular devices ARE very popular with banana republic countries. The relevance of the <yadda yadda" as you put it is that the legal system was manipulated to the extent that none of these claims were ever investigated.

But the sentiment expressed above is one I do accept. I am not blind and every story has two sides. I don't know for sure if the election was rigged but equally, you don't know if it wasn't...
Plato
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am
The Fox Corporation is a huge operation, Fox News is also a very large organisation. There are thousands of employees. In the years during which the election fraud was being investigated
All that investigation, but nothing that they could defend in court? Why's that?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've been reading this morning about the contract for the weekends phone alert. Apparently the contract was awarded to Fujitsu who then subbed it to one of their partners. They've been working with this partner for some time and the partner has previous worked on the phone alert system in Australia, so it makes sense to use them. The partner is Infosys, owned by Sunak's wife and her dad. I'm sure it didn't happen on purpose but still, more public money for Sunak can't be right, can it?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 am I've been reading this morning about the contract for the weekends phone alert. Apparently the contract was awarded to Fujitsu who then subbed it to one of their partners. They've been working with this partner for some time and the partner has previous worked on the phone alert system in Australia, so it makes sense to use them. The partner is Infosys, owned by Sunak's wife and her dad. I'm sure it didn't happen on purpose but still, more public money for Sunak can't be right, can it?
Should an MP having shares in a company automatically exclude that company from government contracts? It looks odd when a company gets a huge contract in proportion to it's normal business but Infosys is not a surprising choice for this.
MPs probably own quite a few shares in Capita, blocking that would cause problems.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 am MPs probably own quite a few shares in Capita, blocking that would cause problems.
Blocking Crapita might actually solve a few problems. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ant

Post by Ant »

The EU, storming in and acting the fascist, as usual.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/24/worl ... a_guYebMbE
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 am I've been reading this morning about the contract for the weekends phone alert. Apparently the contract was awarded to Fujitsu who then subbed it to one of their partners. They've been working with this partner for some time and the partner has previous worked on the phone alert system in Australia, so it makes sense to use them. The partner is Infosys, owned by Sunak's wife and her dad. I'm sure it didn't happen on purpose but still, more public money for Sunak can't be right, can it?
Your having a laugh right? I'm pretty sure it is no coincidence!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:42 pm
Your having a laugh right? I'm pretty sure it is no coincidence!
His what is having a laugh?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:51 am Should an MP having shares in a company automatically exclude that company from government contracts?
Maybe not MPs, but senior ministers yes. They should sell the shares they have in companies that are likely to be awarded government contracts. Or at least have their portfolios managed blind.