Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by KungFooBob »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 am Noisy rich twats and their planes!

Behind our house we have a large reservoir and I guess for some reason, probably safety, that planes use it as an acrobatics area. Seems to be 2 jets that use it recently - a BAC Strikemaster (G-RSAF) and a Jet Provost (G-BKOU), both lovely to watch but they are bloody loud when you are trying to concentrate on work! :D
I saw JP's for pretty much every day of my life between the ages of three and 16.

Along with Jetsreams and Dominis.

The Strike Master is just a JP with hard points :)
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am
The Strike Master is just a JP with hard points :)
Yeah, being a bit of a saddo I'd already Googled and noted very similar. Both based on an old prop Provost I believe?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Steering wheel covers.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:54 am Steering wheel covers.
Doesn't it match your driving gloves?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Road Ahead Closed signs.

I've seen two sets at repeated intervals, both on major A roads, cones and all, in the past couple of days and in both cases the roads in question were completely open. I was obviously pleased that the roads were open and I didn't need to make a diversion, but when road works are completed these signs should be removed. You have to be able to believe the road signs you see or it just becomes a lottery.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:43 am Road Ahead Closed signs.

I've seen two sets at repeated intervals, both on major A roads, cones and all, in the past couple of days and in both cases the roads in question were completely open. I was obviously pleased that the roads were open and I didn't need to make a diversion, but when road works are completed these signs should be removed. You have to be able to believe the road signs you see or it just becomes a lottery.
Major pet hate of mine too. On the M4 there was an overhead sign saying "queue on slip road" - there wasn't a queue on the next slip road, so I believed that, as usual, someone hadn't cancelled the sign

What they Actually meant was, "queue on slip road on M32". Shame that wasn't correct - might still have a TLs :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

These days they put those up on the roads that lead to the side road that is actually closed - supposedly so you have more warning, but in practise it's just confusing.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:55 am

Major pet hate of mine too. On the M4 there was an overhead sign saying "queue on slip road" - there wasn't a queue on the next slip road, so I believed that, as usual, someone hadn't cancelled the sign
Last year I had to do a short hop of motorway on the Bonnie, literally 1 junction / 2-3 miles. Given that I've happily done long stretches of dual carriageway on it before I didn't think much of it.

Course, sod's law being what it is, that was one time she started playing up. Back firing and generally refusing to run at high power and revs (battery terminal shook loose turns out).

Unfortunately this was an all lane running bit of motorway, no hard shoulder. So I'm doing my best in the left hand lane, maybe 35-45mph and generally crapping myself.

Matrix signs start flashing up "Warning, Slow Moving Vehicle". So now to add to my woes I'm looking out for the idiot driving a slow vehicle on the M1.

Of course, dear reader, that idiot.....was me. :obscene-birdiedoublered: Took me far too long to realise.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:29 pm

These days they put those up on the roads that lead to the side road that is actually closed - supposedly so you have more warning, but in practise it's just confusing.
Yup. Then they sprinkle 'diversion' signs at random over the area. Half the time you don't know which diversion applies to which road closure. Of course, when they've finished they always forget a few and leave them behind (ready for next time?).

Classic - at the end of the local High Street there's a junction. The straight ahead road was closed for some time and traffic diverted left. They finished a couple of weeks ago. The biggest Road Closed sign at the end of the High Street is still there. Seriously, how do they forget the main sign?! :roll:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
McNab

Post by McNab »

I agree. I think I've mentioned it before on this thread.

I don't get why they can't make it clear. They could say something like "This road closed ahead" or "Side road closed ahead" that way you at least know you can keep going on the road you are on or not.

I think I've occasionally seen them with arrows on though, pointing left, right or straight up.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Behind our house we have a large reservoir and I guess for some reason, probably safety, that planes use it as an acrobatics area. Seems to be 2 jets that use it recently - a BAC Strikemaster (G-RSAF) and a Jet Provost (G-BKOU), both lovely to watch but they are bloody loud when you are trying to concentrate on work! :D
I understand that jets could be annoying but I live about a mile from an abandoned WWII airfield, now a quarry, and I find it quite pleasant listening to the odd piston engined plane practicing aerobatics. There's also a reasonably fast road about half a mile away and the weekend peace is often punctuated by obviously speeding motorcycles. They're at about the same decibel level but the planes are like gently buzzing bees, the bikes like angry wasps: nasty, noisy, dangerous things (I'm getting old :( )
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Saga Lout wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:50 pm

I understand that jets could be annoying but I live about a mile from an abandoned WWII airfield, now a quarry, and I find it quite pleasant listening to the odd piston engined plane practicing aerobatics. There's also a reasonably fast road about half a mile away and the weekend peace is often punctuated by obviously speeding motorcycles. They're at about the same decibel level but the planes are like gently buzzing bees, the bikes like angry wasps: nasty, noisy, dangerous things (I'm getting old :( )
My mate who's well into his WW2 history has a story about the locals to one airfield complaining bitterly to the MOD/RAF during WW2 regarding the warming up of the Napier engined Typhoons disturbing their sleep.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Horse

Post by Horse »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:13 pm
I understand that jets could be annoying
My mate who's well into his WW2 history has a story about the locals to one airfield complaining bitterly to the MOD/RAF during WW2 regarding the warming up of the Napier engined Typhoons disturbing their sleep.
Filly's late mother lived in Rugby during WWII. She told of hearing an incredible noise across the countryside.

It would have been new-fangled jet engines being tested.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Badly placed road diversion signs are the perfect way to explore as -yet undiscovered places.

Embrace it. :thumbup:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

It was a tongue in cheek comment, I actually enjoy watching them from the garden. We also get a lot of Chinooks and Apache flying over.
Bikes on the other hand can do one!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

F'ing emmets!
No less than 3 local forecourts are dry of diesel at the moment. It is Friday pm innit, and all those huuuge 4x4s are filling up for the great trek back to Brum/Manchester/wherever. All main roads were rammed earlier today, with the M5 southbound clogged with the next installment.
Oh how we do love holidaymakers down in Cornwall!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:55 pm F'ing emmets!
No less than 3 local forecourts are dry of diesel at the moment. It is Friday pm innit, and all those huuuge 4x4s are filling up for the great trek back to Brum/Manchester/wherever. All main roads were rammed earlier today, with the M5 southbound clogged with the next installment.
Oh how we do love holidaymakers down in Cornwall!
Fuck'em!

The bastards boosting the local economy, eating the cream teas the locals can't be fucked with and buying all that tourist tat, etc..
Felix

Post by Felix »

My Bulgarian neighbour had a loud pipe on his last bike. Present one is getting a loud pipe soon and he was trying the Loud Pipes Save Life's shit with me until i said its a shame it did not save you when you stacked the bike on that bend juts outside Oban and you got slammed into the sharp bend sign. Bike and loud pipe was well fucked :lol:

Talking Bulgarian what happened to that annoying twat Val. Did he get to Australia?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Downloaded WhatsApp on my 80 year-old mum's phone the other week and gave her a lesson on how to use it.

Fuck me, she's bloody video calling me every day now. :thumbdown:

;)

Coz she's almost 100% mutton, it's a revelation as she can lip read on the call as well. :thumbup:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 pm Downloaded WhatsApp on my 80 year-old mum's phone the other week and gave her a lesson on how to use it.

Fuck me, she's bloody video calling me every day now. :thumbdown:

;)

Coz she's almost 100% mutton, it's a revelation as she can lip read on the call as well. :thumbup:
Can you actually see her or just the top of her head?