Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Count Steer »

More of a haarrrrrumph really.

Got a coffee at the local sports centre. Handed over my loyalty card with 7 stamps on. Ah. They're 'under new management'.

'We don't do those any more, would you like a new card (with 1 stamp on)'?

:(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:54 am Two things today.

I got a load of drill bits as part of a bundle of things I actually wanted and all of them have the shank dipped in thick black paint. Not the cutting tip, the part you might want to protect but the bit that needs to be clean to grip properly and has the size written on it.

I tripped over yesterday shifting some pallets on rough ground and now spawn the elder, in that voice, is cheerfully telling people 'He's had a fall.' I blame the parent.

Funnily - we were discussing only the other day how the way people describe events that happen to you change as you get older... :D "He's had a fall" was one of the first picked up on! :D
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:31 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:54 am Two things today.

I got a load of drill bits as part of a bundle of things I actually wanted and all of them have the shank dipped in thick black paint. Not the cutting tip, the part you might want to protect but the bit that needs to be clean to grip properly and has the size written on it.

I tripped over yesterday shifting some pallets on rough ground and now spawn the elder, in that voice, is cheerfully telling people 'He's had a fall.' I blame the parent.

Funnily - we were discussing only the other day how the way people describe events that happen to you change as you get older... :D "He's had a fall" was one of the first picked up on! :D
It needs to said in that 'News for the Elderly' Voice for best effect.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Whoever thought that wago fittings on a security light was a good idea needs rodgering with the length of cable I have scrunched up in the back of the pool house!
Ffs, 90% of domestic wiring is multistrand. What are you sniffing?
Ant

Post by Ant »

They're meant for the solid core on fixed wiring innit.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Demannu wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:04 pm Whoever thought that wago fittings on a security light was a good idea needs rodgering with the length of cable I have scrunched up in the back of the pool house!
Wago's are rated for multistrand, but if it boils your piss just slap a bootlace ferrule on.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Grown adults, who presumably have been out in the wild for 20 years or more, who don't know how lifts work.

Going up....people try and squeeze in, making everyone shuffle up, then press a button for a floor that's down. You know it comes back right? :think:
Ant

Post by Ant »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:25 pm
Demannu wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:04 pm Whoever thought that wago fittings on a security light was a good idea needs rodgering with the length of cable I have scrunched up in the back of the pool house!
Wago's are rated for multistrand, but if it boils your piss just slap a bootlace ferrule on.
Not meant to use ferrules on them type.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Facebook market place, trying to sell MTB parts on it is a royal pain, chancers wanting 50% off the list price, wanting it posted at your cost and last week first I had someone waste an entire morning messaging endless questions me about a set of forks before coming over and once he'd explained what he wanted to do with them realised they'd never fit.

Then I had someone message about a frame, we agreed a price and I warned him it'd be costly to post and insure and he agreed to that as well. He wanted to pay via PayPal (no problem) and said he would have the money at the end of the week, I wasn't in any hurry but then he tries to renegotiate the agreed price today and after a bit of profile checking it turns out he's 16 and Paypal rules state you have to be over 18......
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Ant

Post by Ant »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:46 pm Facebook market place, trying to sell MTB parts on it is a royal pain, chancers wanting 50% off the list price, wanting it posted at your cost and last week first I had someone waste an entire morning messaging endless questions me about a set of forks before coming over and once he'd explained what he wanted to do with them realised they'd never fit.

Then I had someone message about a frame, we agreed a price and I warned him it'd be costly to post and insure and he agreed to that as well. He wanted to pay via PayPal (no problem) and said he would have the money at the end of the week, I wasn't in any hurry but then he tries to renegotiate the agreed price today and after a bit of profile checking it turns out he's 16 and Paypal rules state you have to be over 18......
That place is brilliant, chancers wanting 50% off or more, as soon as an item is listed. There are a core of surnames on my black list, as they are always nothing but trouble.

What's your best price? I often double the asking price just so that they go away. Questions which can be answered if you read the advert. Sometimes dealing with people is a special task on its own.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:53 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:46 pm Facebook market place, trying to sell MTB parts on it is a royal pain, chancers wanting 50% off the list price, wanting it posted at your cost and last week first I had someone waste an entire morning messaging endless questions me about a set of forks before coming over and once he'd explained what he wanted to do with them realised they'd never fit.

That place is brilliant, chancers wanting 50% off or more, as soon as an item is listed. There are a core of surnames on my black list, as they are always nothing but trouble.

What's your best price? I often double the asking price just so that they go away. Questions which can be answered if you read the advert. Sometimes dealing with people is a special task on its own.
So 5 minutes after I sack off spotty youf No.1, spotty youf No.2 with a very similar friend base is making enquiries.............
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:41 am
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:45 pm I'm a Sun-Pat Crunchy man, but I had my head turned by Meridian as it was on special offer.

What ever you do, DO NOT buy Meridian Peanut butter. It was wet, really wet, very oily. It doesn't sit on the bread it soaks in, it's just WRONG!

I stirred it thinking it had separated and the oil was sat on the top, but it was like that all the way through the jar.
I asked a friend to bring me some whole earth back but he doesn't really do supermarkets it seems (couldn't find a magazine for me cos the supermarkets near him don't do that one! :lol: )

He brought Meridian (I'd said just bring a crunchy version without sugar in it!). It's just :sick: I'm trying to use it up in cooking, but I don't use a lot of peanut butter apart from on toast!! :lol:

Sadly, I've had to stop asking people to bring it back as the last person brought me smooth stuff - Whole Earth, but smooth :( :( :sick: :sick:

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:50 pm The all natural / organic / yogurt weaving ones all are, and surprisingly are supposed to be too, I went through a phase looking for something other than sun-pat but couldn't find one that wasn't oily, so yep sun-pat crunchy is my go to.
Whole Earth Crunchy is definitely worth a go :D
Send me a picture of the label Smix and I'll bring you some in December
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:35 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:31 pm But maybe the company running the garage should either offer pay at pump or a queue/till specifically for people who only want to buy fuel! I get that they are trying (have succeeded?) to put the corner shops out of business but TBF, if I just stop for fuel quickly I really don't want to stand behind someone waiting to pay for their weekly shop or some fancy doodah coffees!! :)
I don't even want to stand behind someone buying a raft of comedy coffees in a coffee shop tbh.
I must confess, I hate it when I'm in a busy bar and the person infront orders cocktails. They take soo damn long to make. I honestly believe that the bar often looses out because people can't be arsed to queue.

Count Steer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:58 am More of a haarrrrrumph really.

Got a coffee at the local sports centre. Handed over my loyalty card with 7 stamps on. Ah. They're 'under new management'.

'We don't do those any more, would you like a new card (with 1 stamp on)'?

:(
"No, but I'll take a new card with 7 stamps on. Ohh you can't do that? you've literally just got here and you've already lost a customer"

All I get on FB Marketplace is scammers who want to get DPD to pay me cash when they collect the item. Except DPD don't offer that service !
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jody wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:13 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:41 am

I asked a friend to bring me some whole earth back but he doesn't really do supermarkets it seems (couldn't find a magazine for me cos the supermarkets near him don't do that one! :lol: )

He brought Meridian (I'd said just bring a crunchy version without sugar in it!). It's just :sick: I'm trying to use it up in cooking, but I don't use a lot of peanut butter apart from on toast!! :lol:

Sadly, I've had to stop asking people to bring it back as the last person brought me smooth stuff - Whole Earth, but smooth :( :( :sick: :sick:
Send me a picture of the label Smix and I'll bring you some in December
That'd be AWESOME :D :D :D Thank you

And, to get a photo I find that Tesco do a 1kg 'tub' :shock: Wowzers - now working out where I can clear space for it! LOL

Awesome :D :D :D A 400 ish g jar here is generally over 7€ !!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm fairly sure they do 5/10kg "paint tubs" of it, someone bought a colleague one as a joke leaving present ISTR.

Probably a job for Costco or similar.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I've worn out my faithful 'Cousances' (ie 'Le Creuset') 22cm casserole. :( There's granular, shiny iron showing through on the base inside and stuff sticks and burns. Never used metal utensils on it, just wooden spatulas etc).

Stuff just isn't made to last any more, it's probably only 30 years old. Did the same some years ago with a Le Creuset frying pan but that had a harder life. Bah.

(Double bah looking at the price of new ones :shock: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le Creuset is a total rip off IMO. My no name but 1/4 the cost enamlled casserole is just as good. Probably made in the same factory :lol: I think it was TK Maxx but mighta been Sainsburys.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:53 pm

I had really special one a couple of weeks ago who got the arse with me because I had sold the item to someone else.

‘But I’ve been here for 20 mins’
‘Where? And why didn’t you let me know when you arrived?’
‘I’m in the back lane and I was waiting for my wife’
‘You should have told me someone else was coming’
‘I think you’ve been really unfair’

Last three messages came through in quick succession

*Block*

:D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:57 pm Le Creuset is a total rip off IMO. My no name but 1/4 the cost enamlled casserole is just as good. Probably made in the same factory :lol: I think it was TK Maxx but mighta been Sainsburys.
They do make them for TX Maxx.
I saw a consumer show where people did a blind review of LeCreuset, John Lewis and TK Maxx with them all coming from the same factory. There are deliberate differences but they were all just as good as each other and the panel guessed the wrong shops.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How much better/worse can "big lump of cast iron + enamel" really be?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Cast iron can be seasoned. Super hot, oil and salt, wipe down with paper.

At least raw cast iron can be "sealed" like that and should never, ever be washed with soap...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato