In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:07 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:43 pm Almost eight years after the fact and "coincidentally" right before an election.
To be fair, almost any time in America is 'right before an election'. They come round every 4 years and the hustings for the next one starts shortly after the 'new' president is sworn in. It's pretty much a perpetual electoral cycle.
These are the elections for the Republican candidacy. The next president. This is clearly political gamesmanship. Obvious election (electoral?) interference and a smear campaign organised by the power behind the puppet. Probably Soros, Hilary Clinton and Obama running the US from behind the scenes. And as for the timing. This case has been known about for years AND the accountant who "mismanaged" these transactions has already been jailed.

If this was Russia, I could understand it. Political opponent, lock 'em up. Or, a banana republic where they just make something up and arrest you for it. But America considers itself the very model of democracy, it wages war on countries for not being "fair" not "playing by the rules" and for being undemocratic dictatorships. This charade is just bollocks.

It is extraordinary behaviour for a civilised first world nation. It's like the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan using taxpayers money to pursue Boris Johnson, have him arrested and charged for cheating on his wife because keeping it quiet was "election interference".
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Ant

Post by Ant »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:27 pm
Ant wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:25 pm Julie Burchill writes on how the Guardian wrecked itself....

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the ... 7e2m77bmJI
And what's your thoughts?
I can sympathise with her, I read the Guardian often and it does appear to be just a more left wing version of what it proports to be against.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

irie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:44 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:42 am
irie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:15 am So over 7 times more EV charging points by 2030 than currently available. Sticking to my IC car for the for the forseable. A slo-mo debacle in the making ...

Someone should probably do something about that.

Oh....

"By 2030, we expect there to be around 300,000 public chargepoints as a minimum in the UK, but there could potentially be more than double that number"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rategy.pdf
Great expectations. :lol:
There are lies, damned lies, and government forecasts.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:38 pm There are lies, damned lies, and government forecasts.
But, again, you believe the forecasts on how many charging points are needed? Why?

Government policy has already started several concrete actions BTW. Changing planning regs requiring all new homes/conversions to have charging for example. Or investing over £1 billion in charging infrastructure.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:45 pm
But, again, you believe the forecasts on how many charging points are needed? Why?

Government policy has already started several concrete actions BTW. Changing planning regs requiring all new homes/conversions to have charging for example. Or investing over £1 billion in charging infrastructure.
How does that work for homes that have no parking area or garages? Charging cords all over the pavement?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Only applies to homes with parking.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

So people without parking still get to drive ICE vehicles?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:19 pm So people without parking still get to drive ICE vehicles?
People who can't afford private parking won't be able to afford EVs, problem solved.
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:45 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:38 pm There are lies, damned lies, and government forecasts.

So you believe this crap the same as you believed that there was no way that Boeing could self certify its aircraft as being safe to fly knowing internally that they were essentially a new design, and not believing that the German automobile industry (VW, MB, et.al.) could knowingly install cheat ECU devices supplied by Bosch to increase commercial sales? Nah, no way. There's naive and there's stupid, you're the former. 7 years? :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't recall saying either of those things if such concrete terms, but if you say so.

You ain't answering the actual question I see as usual so I'll leave it there.
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:40 pm I don't recall saying either of those things if such concrete terms, but if you say so.

Speaking as an ex-Operational Research engineer, perhaps you would care to look at forecast confidence limits?

The confidence limits on 7 year forecasts are far beyond :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

irie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:52 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:40 pm I don't recall saying either of those things if such concrete terms, but if you say so.

Speaking as an ex-Operational Research engineer, perhaps you would care to look at forecast confidence limits?

The confidence limits on 7 year forecasts are far beyond :lol:
So what's your point? What was the point of quoting that article which also makes a prediction for 7 years time?

Really don't get what you're tying to say.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:51 pm How does that work for homes that have no parking area or garages? Charging cords all over the pavement?
The world is no longer being run for the benefit of humanity. The road we are on means us mere plebs won't own anything. Not our homes, our transport, we will own nothing.

There is such a gigantic imbalance in global finance that the super rich are buying up everything. They create the financial condition which allow them to more easily acquire, land, property and of course, more money.

Peasants like me can't really do anything about it. The wealthier middle class could but don't appear to either realise what's going on or couldn't care less because they don't think it will ever affect them.

But the rate at which the rich are getting richer took such a massive jump, they'll be coming after all that lovely middle class loot sooner rather than later. I imagine it will be something like a run on the banks and the collapse of several pensions companies or some such scam. Naturally the private equity companies will have protected themselves from the chaos that ensues, after all, they are the same people who will make it happen.

So I wouldn't be too worried about how on earth we'll all be able to drive around in Ev's. We won't all be doing it...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:57 pm The world is no longer being run for the benefit of humanity. The road we are on means us mere plebs won't own anything. Not our homes, our transport, we will own nothing.

There is such a gigantic imbalance in global finance that the super rich are buying up everything. They create the financial condition which allow them to more easily acquire, land, property and of course, more money.

Peasants like me can't really do anything about it. The wealthier middle class could but don't appear to either realise what's going on or couldn't care less because they don't think it will ever affect them.

But the rate at which the rich are getting richer took such a massive jump, they'll be coming after all that lovely middle class loot sooner rather than later. I imagine it will be something like a run on the banks and the collapse of several pensions companies or some such scam. Naturally the private equity companies will have protected themselves from the chaos that ensues, after all, they are the same people who will make it happen.

So I wouldn't be too worried about how on earth we'll all be able to drive around in Ev's. We won't all be doing it...
The State run pension fund for teachers etc in Calizuela (CalPers) & other State/county/city workers is almost $1Trillion in the hole. These idiots are all members of the SEIU (union) & over the years have blackmailed the State into all sorts of pension promises.
The money didn't exist when the deals were made, it doesn't exist today & it sure as fuck won't magically exist in the future. The retired people getting their pensions right now are being paid with the money that the drones paid in THAT WEEK.
Not sure when the shit will hit the fan, but the other huge Ponzi scheme (Social Security) is due to go tits up in 9 or 10 years.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:57 pm
The world is no longer being run for the benefit of humanity. The road we are on means us mere plebs won't own anything. Not our homes, our transport, we will own nothing.

I think I generally agree with all of that ^

But I do have some faith in the philosophy of revolution - so as fewer and fewer individuals/entities come to own everything, the rest of everyone else will eventually be pushed into revolution, it is unlikely to be pitchforks at midnight, but sooner or later the massive weight of everything sitting in one square foot of ownership will fall over.

It won't happen in my lifetime, and it's way too much to type to discuss it properly, but I'm sure it will happen, just like it has throughout history.
Unfortunately, in the meantime, the next couple of decades are going to be miserable for people living on a pay cheque from month to month.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I would actually be interested in knowing why the super rich have got so much richer over the last few years, but as I said in another thread (might have been this one) I feel like my base understanding is insufficient.

I also don't want to just read a bunch of stuff about Hunter Biden's laptop, Elon Musk's weird doge fetish, man made viruses or Bazos' secret moon base.

I also get the sense that this is far from the first time the super rich have been very rich. Victorian Industrialists had a bob or two right?

Also seems unlikely to me any of this is more than an accident?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:05 am I would actually be interested in knowing why the super rich have got so much richer over the last few years, but as I said in another thread (might have been this one) I feel like my base understanding is insufficient.

I also don't want to just read a bunch of stuff about Hunter Biden's laptop, Elon Musk's weird doge fetish, man made viruses or Bazos' secret moon base.

I also get the sense that this is far from the first time the super rich have been very rich. Victorian Industrialists had a bob or two right?

Also seems unlikely to me any of this is more than an accident?
Everyone has got richer, not just the super rich. Even the poor are less poor than they used to be.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:14 am
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:57 pm The world is no longer being run for the benefit of humanity. The road we are on means us mere plebs won't own anything. Not our homes, our transport, we will own nothing.

The State run pension fund for teachers etc in Calizuela (CalPers) & other State/county/city workers is almost $1Trillion in the hole. These idiots are all members of the SEIU (union) & over the years have blackmailed the State into all sorts of pension promises.
The money didn't exist when the deals were made, it doesn't exist today & it sure as fuck won't magically exist in the future. The retired people getting their pensions right now are being paid with the money that the drones paid in THAT WEEK.
Not sure when the shit will hit the fan, but the other huge Ponzi scheme (Social Security) is due to go tits up in 9 or 10 years.
Isn't that the way most government pension schemes work?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:05 am I also get the sense that this is far from the first time the super rich have been very rich. Victorian Industrialists had a bob or two right?
IIRC the curve of wealth distribution has got much steeper at the 'rich' end ie fewer with far more.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:16 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:05 am I also get the sense that this is far from the first time the super rich have been very rich. Victorian Industrialists had a bob or two right?
IIRC the curve of wealth distribution has got much steeper at the 'rich' end ie fewer with far more.
I'll take that with a large pinch of salt as I bet nobody has published their working out for that claim. I could take a single set of detailed figures and use them to 'prove' either viewpoint, to start with what's the definition of rich? That's a rhetorical question as I could define it as a certain amount of cash, assets or even the number of watches they have. My definition could also conveniently ignore liabilities such as loans or CGT when assets are sold.
Once I have a measure then I need to choose a value that means rich, if I don't include inflation then it's easily skewed.