Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
DefTrap

Re: Debanking

Post by DefTrap »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:38 pm

And will you be fine with that unfairness when your bank decides you're a massive bellend (I've beaten them to that decision)
I'm fine with those kind words anyway. Heartwarming. ;)

Yes I'm fine with businesses denying services to folk they don't want to do business with. Happens all the time. Most of us don't have friends in high places, a publicity machine, or a chorus of deluded sycophants to back us up though.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Iccy does make a valid point though, banks have a lot of power over you and it's right to consider how that's managed as the world changes.

Farage would of course like you to believe he's the original champion of this cause, but he's not. The law already gives you the right to a bank account for example, partly cause of things like this...it did that before Farage found his new cause/platform.

On rhe flip side though, as I probably already said, I do think people need to drop the entitlement sometimes. Businesses (not just banks) don't have to do business with you and you don't have god given free reign to share your chin music. You can say what you like but then people can do business with whomever they like too.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Just to remind everyone, at no point was Farage not going to have a bank account, he was just downgraded from a prestige account to a normal one. Happens to normal people all the time.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

JamJar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:32 am Just to remind everyone, at no point was Farage not going to have a bank account, he was just downgraded from a prestige account to a normal one. Happens to normal people all the time.
No, no. Don't stop the experts telling us we're all idiots :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

S'not all bad news:

Cap on bankers' bonuses to be scrapped :thumbup:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67206997

Wait...hold on...just remembered I work for a sanctimonious financial institution that doesn't dish 'em out. Bugger. :(
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

JamJar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:32 am Just to remind everyone, at no point was Farage not going to have a bank account, he was just downgraded from a prestige account to a normal one. Happens to normal people all the time.
I thought the offer of a downgraded account only came after the bad publicity started?
Potter

Post by Potter »

It didn't matter what he ended up with, he could have ended up with a dead fish, the point is that banks shouldn't be allowed to do what they did - and he ensured that they didn't, they were forced to be accountable, forced to get rid of their CEO and a board member and be forced to apologise.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:55 am
No ones saying that you're an idiot Yorick, it's just that you don't have much luck when thinking is involved :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 pm It didn't matter what he ended up with, he could have ended up with a dead fish, the point is that banks shouldn't be allowed to do what they did - and he ensured that they didn't, they were forced to be accountable, forced to get rid of their CEO and a board member and be forced to apologise.
'A bank', not 'all banks'. If the banking world at large had decided unanimously that this bad egg was not worthy of these services (services that we all agree that in this modern world are virtually a human right) then all joshing aside I'd be happy to agree that even the likes of Farage maybe doesn't even deserve that sort of treatment.

But they didn't. What actually happened is just a slight rung higher and slightly more inconvenient and embarassing than a pub landlord determining that he's not going to serve you because he doesn't like your haircut or gender (it's happened, a local landlord was notorious for it). There are bigger fish to fry - if this is the best the modern conspirator can get his teeth into, then tbh that's what I expected.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:12 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 pm It didn't matter what he ended up with, he could have ended up with a dead fish, the point is that banks shouldn't be allowed to do what they did - and he ensured that they didn't, they were forced to be accountable, forced to get rid of their CEO and a board member and be forced to apologise.
'A bank', not 'all banks'. If the banking world at large had decided unanimously that this bad egg was not worthy of these services (services that we all agree that in this modern world are virtually a human right) then all joshing aside I'd be happy to agree that even the likes of Farage maybe doesn't even deserve that sort of treatment.

But they didn't. What actually happened is just a slight rung higher and slightly more inconvenient and embarassing than a pub landlord determining that he's not going to serve you because he doesn't like your haircut or gender (it's happened, a local landlord was notorious for it). There are bigger fish to fry - if this is the best the modern conspirator can get his teeth into, then tbh that's what I expected.
It's obviously the thin end of the wedge, but how far do you want to turn a blind eye to what banks get up to? All the way until it includes you?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:16 pm It's obviously the thin end of the wedge, but how far do you want to turn a blind eye to what banks get up to? All the way until it includes you?
Certainly a bit higher than the handful reported so far. And certainly where the impact is effectively zero - he could pop down the TSB, they'd be happy to sort him out with minimum inconvenience, and probably drop him a ton as a thankyou. That must be at least a week's worth of his Benson&Hedges.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:think:

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He makes a fair point, but red busses and black kettles also spring to mind :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Making an unchallenged statement on your own show must be right up there in the boo-hoo-look-at-me-stakes. Any interview worth his salt would have pointed out what a massive hypocrite he is and asked him to stick to the point.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:06 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:55 am
No ones saying that you're an idiot Yorick, it's just that you don't have much luck when thinking is involved :lol:
I cant argue with Little Man Syndrome so I'll leave you to it and you can pretend you've won.

:)
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Mussels wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:43 am
I thought the offer of a downgraded account only came after the bad publicity started?
As far as I understood it he was always offered the downgraded account.
Potter

Post by Potter »

JamJar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 pm
He was, but he decided to make a point of principle and he was demonstrably right to do so.
I genuinely wish that the protagonist was some hard left fundamentalist that you really like because even though I'd dislike them at least as much as Farage, it would mean that I wouldn't have to keep trying to get people to see the point and not the man that made it.

I couldn't give a monkeys if Farage self immolates and disappears in a puff of smoke, but what he's done here is call a powerful financial institution to account and held them up to the light. In any sort of democracy this is what should be happening.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:05 pm
JamJar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:21 pm
He was, but he decided to make a point of principle and he was demonstrably right to do so.
I genuinely wish that the protagonist was some hard left fundamentalist that you really like because even though I'd dislike them at least as much as Farage, it would mean that I wouldn't have to keep trying to get people to see the point and not the man that made it.

I couldn't give a monkeys if Farage self immolates and disappears in a puff of smoke, but what he's done here is call a powerful financial institution to account and held them up to the light. In any sort of democracy this is what should be happening.
It has nothing to do with left or right, he wasn't debanked, he was downgraded from a prestige account to a normal account.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So far as I remember, he wasn't even that...he was just put on a exit path? Here's the document which caused all the fuss!

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... e-redacted

I'm still not really clear what they've apologised to him for. From what I see it doesn't actually seem like they've apologised for kicking him out, just the way it was communicated/handled. "Sorry you're upset"
Potter

Post by Potter »

Ok, I really don't care enough to keep going on about it.
IMO banks need to be forced to be transparent, banks have fucked little people, big people and whole worldwide economies, if you're against holding them to account then fair enough.