GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:29 pm Hey. @Supermofo ...did you ever try the GT or GT+ ?

Seems they have all my favourite toy's, the magic 150bhp and sporty and comfy. 🥳👍
No, but I reckon they'd be an ace bike. I'd love to try one but tbh the change over cost is too steep for too little extra I think. As a road bike imo the GSXS is hard to beat for the money, goes well, handles well, comfy. As Mboy says rear suspension and brakes are the only niggles but they aren't terrible. I also agree with him about the gearbox, silky smooth. Try one, looks like the GTs start at 8500 now for a second hand one which is pretty good
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Did either of you try the z1000sx for comparison before buying the gsxs. That seems to be the competitor. Reckon I could get rid of 2 bike's and have one of these. No pillions requirements.

Gsxs definitely seems great value for money. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

No didn't try the Z1000SX mainly as I bought mine as a proper deal at 8k new. Originally I had a list of bikes to try MT09, Tracer 9, GSXS 750/1000 and Z900/1000. But I only got to try the first 3 before the GSXS deal came up and I jumped at it. Plus ideally I wanted a naked.

From what I've read, as MCN tested the GT vs the SX, the Kwak is more refined than the Suzuki with the GT retaining a bit more of a rough sportsbike edge. I doubt you'll go wrong with either imo. They are what they are, big fast comfy IL4s for good money, for some that's something to look down on. But value for money they are bloody good.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:38 am Did either of you try the z1000sx for comparison before buying the gsxs. That seems to be the competitor. Reckon I could get rid of 2 bike's and have one of these. No pillions requirements.

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Does the kwack have a QS. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Skub

Post by Skub »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:43 am Does the kwack have a QS. 🤷‍♂️
The H2 SX has a QS,I don't think the Z1000SX does,unless it's the very latest one.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well it exists! Shamed by having a dirtier bike than Taipan :lol: I got it out of the garage yesterday and washed it. To be fair it wasn't terrible but had some flies that were gonna sprout and some dirty water splats over the back. Still took me over 2hrs though as once started it might as well be done properly. Missed the mild weather through a combination of laziness, rain showers or doing something else, so did it when the feels like temp was 0c for chapped hands along with skinned knuckles :think:

Given it's only been a month since I last rode it in late Nov, it still felt like I hadn't seen it in ages. As it's now 3 years old (I bought it at just over a year old pre reg'd) it's due an MOT but that won't happen till spring so first ride will be to the MOT station which is a bit dull. Think MOT was due on 20 Dec or something like that. Insurance is due end of Feb, hoping that won't have increased like the car did.

Need to re-lube the chain now I've cleaned it and that'll be that till whenever the council stop gritting. It's back under it's MASSIVE cover all spangly, must say I really do like this bike and it looks great imo.

On the riding front I might have the opportunity of doing the A39 Atlantic Highway this summer from Minehead down to Cornwall which is something I've wanted to do for ages. A couple of my brothers mates are doing it in June and have invited me along so fingers crossed for that. I could do it alone but it's always nicer with someone else for a chat at coffee/overnight stops with a pint or 2.

Also sounds like I'll be able to do another weekend down with my uncle so will definitely get on that. I had thought of using his as a base for the above although that's not ideal as Yeovil isn't that close but if the June trip pans out I won't need to so can look at a different ride from my uncle's to make it at least 2 longer trips away.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Have fun going up Porlock Hill, and go through Lynmouth rather than following the A39, unless you enjoy miles of single track road with passing places.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:36 am Have fun going up Porlock Hill, and go through Lynmouth rather than following the A39, unless you enjoy miles of single track road with passing places.
Yeah I've done the route Minehead to Ilfracombe a couple of times in the car. Porlock is indeed a hill!!! Lovely smell of brakes and clutches :lol: Reckon the Suzuki will make better work of it than a Mazda 3 four up. And Lynmouth is always a good stopping point. Not sure of actual routing but reckon we'll be coming off the A39 at points to keep things interesting.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Isn't the A39 "interesting" enough?
Personally I'd take the road from Taunton to Barnstaple, it's really fun on a fast bike, the A39 has fantastic views, but it's more trail bike than sports bike.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dunno, the bit of the A39 I've done was great, well the Minehead to Ilfracombe section but not sure how much further we are going and if it's all like that. Cornwall was mentioned but no idea if just over the boarder or right down into it. On the way home I was thinking either through Exmoor or Dartmoor pending where we stop, I'm a fan of loops rather than back the way I came if possible.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Minehead to Ilfracombe is the narrow bit, the bit to Barnstaple is wider but still hilly and twisty, Barnstaple to Bude is fun, I don't know what it does beyond Bude, but you'll probably be knackered by the ride from Minehead to Bude.

I think you could start from Yeovil without any problems.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well it sounds like we are waiting on one of the guy's injuries and the decision on if it's a goer will be around the end of Feb. At that point I think we'll discuss routes/timings/stops etc. I think it sounds like we'll meet either at Western or Minehead, 1 of the guys is coming from Huddersfield, the other 2 from Herts. I'm thinking ride down to Minehead where there's a Premier Inn would be good for day 1. Then day 2 Minehead to Cornwall and then either part way back or stay that way somewhere before heading back on a 3rd day.

If I was going from Yeovil on my Jones I'd do Yeovil, Minehead, Ilfracombe then back through Exmoor via Taunton.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:38 am Did either of you try the z1000sx for comparison before buying the gsxs. That seems to be the competitor. Reckon I could get rid of 2 bike's and have one of these. No pillions requirements.

Sorry only just seen this.

No, the Z1000SX didn't interest me. I'm not a fan of Kawasaki's styling (Z900 RS aside) and I didn't want a "Sports Tourer" as such. What I wanted was essentially a Sports Bike for the 40+ crowd, which is exactly what the GSXS1000F was billed as when it was launched. It's a bike purely for solo fun for me (I've got my KTM for when the missus wants to come too). I know a couple of people with Z1000SX's and the bikes seem very capable, but definitely lacking the Suzuki's fun factor.

The new(er) GSXS GT is a more natural competitor to the Z1000SX with its hard luggage potential, larger pillion seat, bigger fairing, cruise control etc...

FWIW the K5 derived motor is an absolute class act, fully deserving of all the superlatives levelled at it frequently. That alone sealed the deal for me personally, but have been pleasantly impressed by the entire package (rear shock and brakes aside, but those are getting sorted v soon)...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:07 pm

Sorry only just seen this.

No, the Z1000SX didn't interest me. I'm not a fan of Kawasaki's styling (Z900 RS aside) and I didn't want a "Sports Tourer" as such. What I wanted was essentially a Sports Bike for the 40+ crowd, which is exactly what the GSXS1000F was billed as when it was launched. It's a bike purely for solo fun for me (I've got my KTM for when the missus wants to come too). I know a couple of people with Z1000SX's and the bikes seem very capable, but definitely lacking the Suzuki's fun factor.

The new(er) GSXS GT is a more natural competitor to the Z1000SX with its hard luggage potential, larger pillion seat, bigger fairing, cruise control etc...

FWIW the K5 derived motor is an absolute class act, fully deserving of all the superlatives levelled at it frequently. That alone sealed the deal for me personally, but have been pleasantly impressed by the entire package (rear shock and brakes aside, but those are getting sorted v soon)...
Out of interest how do you find the engine compared to your 1290? Was chatting to my mate with the 142k mile 1290 and discussing other bikes he might get next but he wasn't sure how the IL4 in the GSXS or BMW XR would compare grunt wise to the KTM. I was gonna give him a go on mine when next we meet up but just interested in an owners comparison.
mboy

Post by mboy »

@Supermofo I've had a couple of drinks... Apologies!

Raw grunt wise, there's not much out there that can compare to the 1290 engine. In a Superduke R, it's a pretty overwhelming experience. In the Super Adventure with a bit more weight and the top end clipped slightly, it's still the dominant experience when riding the bike but it's a more rounded package (the SDR feels all engine by comparison)... On the GSXS you need to be a bit more aware of what gear you're in to make decent progress, but it'll still pull reasonably well from low down and by the time you're at 6k+rpm you're laughing. The GSXS is hardly a gutless 600 after all...

The way in which a bike accelerates isn't just down to the torque the engine produces though of course, nor even the raw horsepower of the engine, not even of the power to weight ratio... But of the power experienced at the back wheel (which is also a function of the gearing) to weight, combined with other factors such as drag etc... The 1290 has substantially taller 5th and 6th gears, but also an incredibly short 1st gear, and big ratio gaps (dealt with by the huge spread of torque). The GSXS1000 has the close ratio race ready gearbox straight out of a GSXR1000, so a tall first, short 6th, small gaps inbetween.

Without pointing out too much more of the obvious, I like them both because of the complete contrast in how they deliver their power, but at the same time, both have plenty of it and deliver it with a lot of character. I found the 955cc Superquadro engine in the Streetfighter V2 I has last year felt slightly flat and a bit characterless compared to the Suzuki's engine, and obviously nowhere near the grunt of the KTM. I had a Honda Blackbird a few years ago (fantastic engine), and the Suzuki feels closer to that than anything, but with usefully shorter gearing. I am usually not a fan of IL4's, but the two I have had (Blackbird and GSXS) have both had absolutely iconic motors with bags of character to be fair. My favourite engine in terms of pure experience in any bike I've owned would be the 1100 V4 in a Tuono Factory (chassis' a bit good too), power, grunt and sound all in spades, but it's a thirsty bugger and quite a high maintenance proposition too... Compared to that, the Suzuki loses out slightly in terms of outright bonkersness but is much cheaper to buy and run, uses way less fuel (50+mpg plays 35!) and is very nearly as quick in the real world at least.

FWIW the BMW XR's IL4 is a shorter stroke, higher revving engine, it delivers more top end power but feels a bit flat/gutless lower down where the GSXS' engine actually pulls quite well from low down for an IL4.

142k is mega miles on a 1290! I have mates with 60k+ on theirs (its usually the electronics that fail on KTM's well before anything mechanical to be fair), but that's some serious mileage... I suspect if he's done that many miles on a 1290 (which bike?) and still has it, then the only answer when it comes to replacement will be to get another 1290! They're like a drug... Absolutely addictive in a neanderthal kind of way!
Le_Fromage_Grande

You're getting 50mpg from your GSXS, I'm impressed, I get 42ish from my CB1000R.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I can't remember the exact model of 1290 Super Adventure, it's one they only made for 2 years I believe. I know it's got leccy suspension etc and everything still works. He bought it with high miles already (50k) and used it commuting Colchester to London daily in all weather's. He's just got a new job a lot closer to home with a company van so the 1290s getting a rest, but yeah 142k is some going. It still looks in good nick too. It needs some suspension/swingarm bearings currently but it's never gone wrong. I suggested another 1290 too! But gonna let him have a run on the GSXS next time we go out. I think though given the 1290 is pretty much worthless now he'll run it till it dies, especially as he's not gonna use it so much now....which will probably be what kills it!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:19 pm You're getting 50mpg from your GSXS, I'm impressed, I get 42ish from my CB1000R.
Mine is normally around 50mpg too. Impressive given my R6 did about 44-46 and the Firestorm 40ish.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:19 pm You're getting 50mpg from your GSXS, I'm impressed, I get 42ish from my CB1000R.
I can get 55 ish steady riding.
45 going for it
And 27 on track