In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: In todays news...

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am You buy a home on a cliff, or a flood plain,
In-laws bought a house with a field next to it, described as a 'water meadow'. They were shocked when, drawing back the curtains one morning, there was a lake there instead.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Hemsby has been falling into the sea forever
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:00 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am You buy a home on a cliff, or a flood plain,
In-laws bought a house with a field next to it, described as a 'water meadow'. They were shocked when, drawing back the curtains one morning, there was a lake there instead.
I’ve seen houses advertised with aerial photos with flooded fields next to them. How mad do you have to be to buy that.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

asmethurst99 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:02 am Hemsby has been falling into the sea forever
This time of year, every year. I don't think a big surprise for the owners, they probably paid buttons to live there albeit temporarily. And typically there is some warning of a landslip.

And it makes for some great pics on a slow news day, or as part of some government-driven news-blackout, natch'.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

They've just built a lot of quite expensive places on the local flood plain (the photographs from iirc the 50s are :shock: ). As they were going up I thought it was interesting that they were tanking the lower parts and putting 'shuttable' vents in the brickwork so I did a bit of delving. Dunno if the purchasers were aware of the tanking or why the vents were sealable.

Mind you, where I was at the weekend the tide has been coming in - quite regularly - for a while :D There are signs advising that the area gets a bit wet twice a day. People still look surprised when their parked cars are in 4ft of water. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 am
Screwdriver wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:48 pm My YouTube habits are wide and varied. I suspect the algorithm casts its net widely. I have 5-10 channels sending out warnings for Monday.

Yeah, that's my question too. Is it still a good time to pop some cash into premium bonds for example? Or is it time to whip them out? My gut reaction is buy gold, actual heavy blobs of it, not the virtual type or get stuck into some vintage machinery, tangible assets I suppose you'd call them.
Youtube isn't a news source Screwd.

Fwiw, I think there will be some market reaction today but I don't think it will be sustained. The fact that the US gov is insulating US account holders and HSBC has taken over the UK arm will help. But you know what opinions are like .....
No of course it isn't. That is why I refer to my source for this information as a preferred opinion piece.

Are you suggesting that SVB did not collapse? No, of course you are not, instead you are trying to second guess what I am thinking when it would be much easier if you would simply ask.

The way I determine who to take note of is to see what else they have to say. That works in this forum also and I daresay can be applied to the Screwdriver alias too. That "worked" quite well up until recently. For example there is a compelling theory regarding many of the extraordinary artefacts found in Egypt, whether they were actually made by the Egyptians or merely curated by them. The theory that these were not made by the Egyptians is an idea I agree with but then the proponent goes off on one down the rabbit hole of Silurian's and aliens.

His opinions are now of less interest to me. I don't "believe" in aliens.

I say this because only a few years ago you could easily have a conversation with let's say a political opponent. With the obvious corruption within mainstream media and the rise of social media (managed/censored by the same cabal of big tech/corporate interests) the world is now polarised in the extreme. So that you no longer have to dig down into an individuals psyche to see if they think UFOs are real or the world is really flat, you just need to know if they are left or right leaning before you choose to ignore everything they say.

You already "know" therefore that "you must believe" Biden is a brain dead puppet or Trump is an arrogant asshole (both of which are true imho) and that depending on which "side" you are on, anything or everything you say must automatically be wrong.

Thank you for "telling" me YouTube is not a source of news, here's some news for you: nobody is always right. We are all flawed humans. There is no source for unbiased news. All you can ever hope for is to determine the facts of the matter: Russia has a huge army on the border with Ukraine, SARS-Cov-2 is pandemic, SVB bank has collapsed. Then, given those facts, forensically examine a wide range of sources to try and picture in your own mind what may or may not be occurring.

The mainstream news is now merely a source of clues for me. Clues which I use to forensically examine the "conclusion" they may come to while ignoring the premise that in accepting that source for the underlying factual content, you must therefore accept the corresponding "groupthink" they are trying to force upon you as truth.

I do not necessarily choose to accept the conclusions/opinions of the bearer(s) of such news. They might go on to tell me it's all Putin's fault, the virus is not man made etc. I will assemble the facts and make my own mind up thank you.

I appreciate this makes me deeply unpopular. It is much easier to simply believe what you're told because otherwise you're "obviously" on "the other side" and also believe the world is flat.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Shouldn't they have thought about the concept of a water meadow? They flood!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:02 pm
Shouldn't they have thought about the concept of a water meadow? They flood!
You might have thought so.

Flooded twice.

They moved ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:04 am
Potter wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 am Have you actually read what he's written and understood it? He's cut and pasted that from somewhere as a wind-up*, it's years out of date.
* well I think it's a wind-up, he might not know himself :lol:

It's painful to watch some of you regurgitate and discuss political ideology, banking, monetary theory, Nazis, Psychos, etc...:crazy:
So I ask a simple honest question about contagion and exposure and you come out with that shite? You must be desperate to show off how cool and knowledgeable you are. I'll see how this plays out over the next few days/months before coming to any conclusions.
And we've all seen the meltdowns you have when you're asked a question :clap:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 am
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:42 pm blah blah
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:16 pm So how does that translate to this side of the pond? What contagion risks are there and what exposure do UK banks have? Selfish I know, but...
Have you actually read what he's written and understood it? He's cut and pasted that from somewhere as a wind-up*, it's years out of date.
* well I think it's a wind-up, he might not know himself :lol:

It's painful to watch some of you regurgitate and discuss political ideology, banking, monetary theory, Nazis, Psychos, etc...:crazy:

The only redeeming feature is a bit of entertaining ming-mong and as a Brucie bonus tonight I did enjoy the worlds most unstable moderator and Ant arguing about who's a snowflake :thumbup:
:lol: :thumbup:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:29 am In other news affecting people https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-64930989

This must be devastating, losing your home slowly to something like this must be agonising to watch. I don’t know if insurance or compensation is a thing that can be used in these instances?
There was a big story in the last 2 or 3 years where a woman lost her house over a cliff and how she was financially ruined, buried in the story was the little snippet that she bought the house for a song as the problem was known but she had hoped it would last a bit longer. My sympathy dried up a bit then.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Backtrack, climbdown and backpedal. I'm actually quite surprised that Lineker was reinstated, let alone wasn't forced to grovel or retract. The gleeful shouting from the "send 'em home" lot was pretty loud after all. And when Piers Morgan ffs came down on his side he looked doomed .... ;)

https://news.sky.com/story/gary-lineker ... s-12832734
Docca

Post by Docca »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:29 pm Backtrack, climbdown and backpedal. I'm actually quite surprised that Lineker was reinstated, let alone wasn't forced to grovel or retract. The gleeful shouting from the "send 'em home" lot was pretty loud after all. And when Piers Morgan ffs came down on his side he looked doomed .... ;)

Sounds as though Davie is reasonable, but it's only further exposed Tory twit Sharp
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:29 pm Backtrack, climbdown and backpedal. I'm actually quite surprised that Lineker was reinstated, let alone wasn't forced to grovel or retract. The gleeful shouting from the "send 'em home" lot was pretty loud after all. And when Piers Morgan ffs came down on his side he looked doomed .... ;)

Lineker's contract long predates the BBCs guidelines on the use of social media etc. which IIRC were set in 2020, so I suspect that on contractual terms the BBC were on a hiding to nothing.
Docca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:40 pm

Sounds as though Davie is reasonable, but it's only further exposed Tory twit Sharp
See above.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It can't have harmed his case that a list of others bankrolled by the BBC, who appear to be free to comment on stuff as they please, was published. I don't suppose Michael Portillo's column in The Sun references Bradshaw's Guide very much. :lol:

Edit: It's Karen Brady that has a regular column, MP seems to write for several.

Alan Sugar has form for tweeting too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:46 pm It can't have harmed his case that a list of others bankrolled by the BBC, who appear to be free to comment on stuff as they please, was published. I don't suppose Michael Portillo's column in The Sun references Bradshaw's Guide very much. :lol:

Edit: It's Karen Brady that has a regular column, MP seems to write for several.

Alan Sugar has form for tweeting too.
The critical issue is that Sharpe bankrolled Boris. All this has done is highlight that impartiality has to addressed within the BBC on all side - if we are going to continue to have to pay for it.
If it becomes commercial, then Gaza, Al and everyone else can say what they want ( as long as their commercial contracts allow them to)
irie

Post by irie »

Lineker wrote:'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.
'We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.'
Seems that Lineker has not heard of economic migration ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:06 pm Seems that Lineker has not heard of economic migration ...
Braverman and Sunak's parents were economic migrants and Patel's parents were refugee migrants ? (question mark because I can't be arsed to argue the toss about which category they fall into)
Certainly migrants anyway.

But yeah apparently now "we're full and they can all feck off, we don't care where." I suppose the kickback is that we're probably turning away dozens of right-leaning, have-your-cake-and-eat-it future tory leaders. :thumbup:
It's a stunning lack of group empathy. It's hilarious that a white middle-aged millionaire soccer player has to point it out to them.
Last edited by DefTrap on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:06 pm
Lineker wrote:'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.
'We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.'
Seems that Lineker has not heard of economic migration ...
I'm quite sure he has, but he's just (effortlessly) taking the moral high ground and accentuating the positives. Back of the net...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:37 pm Meanwhile, in today's news :hmmm: every man and his dog is "predicting" a run on the banks tomorrow. In the USA of course. That seems quite obvious even to me and I know nothing about these fragile looking financial instruments they all appear to be playing with...

Anyone want to hazard a guess what happens in the UK?
There were runs of 4 or 5 other US banks today, the news was quickly buried.