If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Taipan

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:10 pm The EU won't be around for much longer, as soon as France, Italy and Spain see how well the UK is doing they'll be out as well. They need us more than we need them.
Cant see the EU members ever being allowed a vote. But if they were, and I am a betting man, and yes, my money would be on definitely be on France, Spain and Italy leaving.
DefTrap

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:51 am Cant see the EU members ever being allowed a vote. But if they were, and I am a betting man, and yes, my money would be on definitely be on France, Spain and Italy leaving.

Pretty sure Le Pen's claimed policy is to be a big old pain in the arse with the EU (a bit like the UK was before Brexit then), taking the bits from the EU that they like and ignoring ('negotiating') the rest.
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm
Docca wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:37 am
Mussels wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:14 pm The thread title was childish to start with, I never expected anything but mmpp from it.
This response always reminds me of plums you get in TV quiz shows moaning that they weren’t asked the right questions. Y’know, the ones they knew the answers to.

Whether or not the question was highbrow enough for some, the responses have underlined a paucity or even complete absence of argument regarding benefits of Brexit.
It's an unanswerable question without an economic and social model of how the UK would now have been had the UK not left the EU, because that's what is really behind this question.

I guess it’s not quite as catchy to put that on the side of a bus
Ant

Post by Ant »

Bus rage! Pull down those statues! Scream "it's not fair!!!!!!"
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

irie wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm It's an unanswerable question without an economic and social model of how the UK would now have been had the UK not left the EU, because that's what is really behind this question.
Well, it's an easy excuse at least.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:04 am Yeah I've also heard of folk who are officially resident in the EU still trying to bomb about in UK registered cars, and getting fined at borders.
It's a fair cop - what did they think was going to happen?
Just a quote back today to put my van onto Spanish plates, the bloke uses the Brexit withdrawal agreement to run the van through his Northern Irish business and avoid paying import duties, still 2200 Euros though.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:54 pm Just a quote back today to put my van onto Spanish plates, the bloke uses the Brexit withdrawal agreement to run the van through his Northern Irish business and avoid paying import duties, still 2200 Euros though.
Importing vehicles was only ever cheap (and even that is disputable because of the inevitable lack of appeal for selling-on RHD vehicles abroad) because of the disparity in s/h vehicles prices but now you have to pay duty on them it's just not worth it. Hence why I'm seeing loads more ads for folk desperately trying to flog rhd UK reg vehicles on the continent (mainly in Spain).
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:37 pm
Pirahna wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:54 pm Just a quote back today to put my van onto Spanish plates, the bloke uses the Brexit withdrawal agreement to run the van through his Northern Irish business and avoid paying import duties, still 2200 Euros though.
Importing vehicles was only ever cheap (and even that is disputable because of the inevitable lack of appeal for selling-on RHD vehicles abroad) because of the disparity in s/h vehicles prices but now you have to pay duty on them it's just not worth it. Hence why I'm seeing loads more ads for folk desperately trying to flog rhd UK reg vehicles on the continent (mainly in Spain).
The reason for putting it on Spanish plates is that I can legally drive it. I'll also be able to move my remaining stuff over from the UK without too many problems. It's cheaper to do the plate swap than pay a removal company. When the time comes to sell it'll go back onto UK plates.

Driving is another thing. Apparently a deal was reached at the start of the year so that the Spanish would exchange a UK license, there's still no sign of it going through the Spanish parliament though. My 6 months of legal driving will be up in mid May. I might go to Ireland and swap for an Irish license, I might join the rest of the illegally driving Brits, I know quit a few.
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:23 pm
irie wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm It's an unanswerable question without an economic and social model of how the UK would now have been had the UK not left the EU, because that's what is really behind this question.
Well, that's a glib out.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:37 pm
irie wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm
Docca wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:37 am
This response always reminds me of plums you get in TV quiz shows moaning that they weren’t asked the right questions. Y’know, the ones they knew the answers to.

Whether or not the question was highbrow enough for some, the responses have underlined a paucity or even complete absence of argument regarding benefits of Brexit.
It's an unanswerable question without an economic and social model of how the UK would now have been had the UK not left the EU, because that's what is really behind this question.
I guess it’s not quite as catchy to put that on the side of a bus
See above.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:04 am Yeah I've also heard of folk who are officially resident in the EU still trying to bomb about in UK registered cars, and getting fined at borders.
It's a fair cop - what did they think was going to happen?
I know a few people who are trying to find ways to scrap their UK registered cars that have been on the continent for far, far too long.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It is a bit like saying that the great plague, the world wars, covid and polio might have been OK or actually were really good because we don't have 'a social and economic model' of how things would have turned out without them. I can think of a few things that I wouldn't have lost if we'd stayed in...but using the proposed argument I might have been run over by a bus in some bizarre situation if we hadn't left so I can't claim that I've lost them. :wtf:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:19 pm I might have been run over by a bus
A red one? With writing on the side?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:19 pm I might have been run over by a bus
A red one? With writing on the side?
Dunno, I never saw the sides, it just steamrollered over me. I think the driver and all on board were drunk. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:19 pm
It is a bit like saying that the great plague, the world wars, covid and polio might have been OK or actually were really good because we don't have 'a social and economic model' of how things would have turned out without them. I can think of a few things that I wouldn't have lost if we'd stayed in...but using the proposed argument I might have been run over by a bus in some bizarre situation if we hadn't left so I can't claim that I've lost them. :wtf:
It's a total fucking cop out, that's what it is.

You could use exactly the same argument to make the polar opposite point, therefore it's pretty useless as points go :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

If there have been tangible benefits from leaving the EU, someone will be able to list them.

FYI:
Without training, humans can manage about 30 to 90 seconds underwater before needing to take a breath. If we're swimming underwater, this figure may be much lower! On 27 March 2021, Croatia's Budimir Šobat achieved the world record for breath-holding underwater, with a time of 24 minutes and 37 seconds.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:27 pm If there have been tangible benefits from leaving the EU, someone will be able to list them.
Not so soon, please. This is a long term project, ask again when we're all dead.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:36 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:27 pm If there have been tangible benefits from leaving the EU, someone will be able to list them.
Not so soon, please. This is a long term project, ask again when we're all dead.
As soon as that? FFS, impatient git.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:53 pm
Well, that's a glib out.
I think you made it clear, there aren't any circumstances where the brexit boys will be convinced. Because blah covid, blah ukraine, blah energy crisis, blah enough decades haven't passed. So why bother.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Brexit has all the hallmarks of a cult; the High Priests (Farage, Johnson, Rees-Mogg), the True Believers (most of the Parliamentary Tory Party) and the unquestioning acolytes. It's a Faith-based thing, y'know...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.