What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Went for enduro ride with Pen and a pal on my Beta who's a novice.
Came to a tricky climb on a volcano which I normally do for her. She felt brave so had a go herself.
Oops. Broken clutch lever :(

Was a fairly long descent and decided it best to leave engine off. Just lots of back brake. We'd been practicing downhill a lot lately and she stayed calm. Talking to her on the intercom all the way. She did well.
At bottom we pushed her going and she used engine to ride about a mile to a road. She got used to careful clutchless changes.

Once we hit roads we had to be careful. About 15 miles and only had to stop once. I pushed while she pressed starter and we were off.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Next time....

(Don't tell her I said that)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to a friend's place yesterday evening cos I was driving her and another friend to Geneva airport this morning (EARLY this morning!)

Had dinner at her's, 'helped' her pack (as in Her, "do I need 5 of these?" Me, "can't imagine so, but don't blame me if you don't take them and need them"! LOL)

Popped across the road to see another friend who's been away all summer

Home by 22:45 - bed (separate!! LOL) by 23:00 - alarms set for 01:15 :o :o :o :o

Out the house by 1:45, picked up the other friend

He's got a phone with him that he's sold but needed to get some info off

Got to GVA for 4am (the flight was 6:30, so a smidge early! LOL)

Dom gave me his sold phone to drop off with the buyer today - I said I'd be in Bourg this afternoon!

Was driving back to Bourg but decided that one hours sleep was NOT enough, so came home to get a few hours sleep before heading to the valley again. Got back at 6:30 so had time for about 4 hours sleep - except that Dom messaged at 8:30 to ask me if I could drop the phone off at midday :roll: :roll:

so I did that, got some shopping, went to see my friend at her new shop and chatted/drank coffee for a few hours before physio.

Physio at 16:30 - he's getting the hang of being a bit tougher on the muscles, but that just means I'm even more tired now!! LOL

French lesson in 25 minutes, then probably to bed! :lol: :lol:

I have a blood test in the morning at 9.30 so need to be awake early enough to hydrate, shower and tidy the place a bit! And put the heater on so it's not bastard freezing in here!!

I know I was doing a nice thing taking them to the airport for stupid o'clock, and she's letting me borrow her car for the three weeks they are away. But DAMN a 6+ hour drive after one hours sleep, followed by a day of doing stuff is NOT the way to do things :roll: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bought a lottery ticket. They say it comes in threes and I've won £25 on the premium bonds and a car,so... :pray:
cheb

Post by cheb »

You'll get run over by a bus?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

cheb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:16 pm You'll get run over by a bus?
If I don't win I'm blaming you for putting the Bok on it! :thumbdown:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I took some sausages out of the freezer yesterday to make a sausage sarnie after the blood test this morning. They are pork and chorizo sausages - I know chorizo can be a smidge spicy but I've never had any I couldn't eat

So, good plan and all. Was looking forward to it

But, DAMN they must be FULL of sodding chilli :o :o :o :o

I cooked the packet (the rest to go in the fridge for ron) but I'm gonna have to give them away :o :o I managed a sandwich but only cos I put some cheese on them to try and dilute the burn.

Sooo - best message someone to see if I can hand over these evil nasty bastard things to someone that enjoys them :roll: :roll:

Miffed - last pack of sausages in the freezer too :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Could you chop / mince them into a sauce for pasta, lasagne, etc?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:01 am Could you chop / mince them into a sauce for pasta, lasagne, etc?
That.

I'd be frying them off with some chopped onion, garlic, bit of creme fraiche, maybe some mushrooms and toss in some pasta when it's 1 min away from being ready. Grate on some cheese when served.

The creme fraiche will tone it down. Sorted.

You have not been charged for this advice.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:33 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:01 am Could you chop / mince them into a sauce for pasta, lasagne, etc?
That.

I'd be frying them off with some chopped onion, garlic, bit of creme fraiche, maybe some mushrooms and toss in some pasta when it's 1 min away from being ready. Grate on some cheese when served.

I'll be round. :D

(It's usually around this point in a food discussion that some dongle wanders in and mindfarts something about bike forum/Mumsnet).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Eat 'em cold, betwixt bread, with a slathering of tommy sauce, they won't be half as hot.
DW.

Post by DW. »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:03 pm Eat 'em cold, betwixt bread, with a slathering of tommy sauce, they won't be half as hot.
Sh-t yeah. I second this. Chuck the snags between 2 pieces of bread and smother them with dead horse.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:33 pm
That.

I probably should have tried, but chilli is about the only thing that upsets my stomach, so I try to avoid it!! I gave the remainder to a friend - they like hot/spicy food, so all's well!! LOL

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:03 pm Eat 'em cold, betwixt bread, with a slathering of tommy sauce, they won't be half as hot.
Usually I do, (well, not with the sauce!) but couldn't face trying them again, even cold!!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I rode 55 miles today. Got up to a whole 60mph at one point!! :o !!

From my resort to the town in the valley, then up to a lower resort (Montchavin), back to Bourg for fuel (forgot whilst I was there the first time) then home.

Shoulder is surviving surprisingly well, but a couple of arm muscles and my elbow struggled on the way home. Possibly the cold didn't help - need to try and find the lining for the jacket I have, or find some thermals to go underneath!! LOL

I did start thinking about left hand controls again as I was riding home but I do think I should keep going as it will get better. Need to chat with the physio to see if he thinks I should keep trying too!!

But damn, even with getting seriously cold on the way home, I am bloody happy!! Just need to leave to come home earlier in the afternoon to avoid quite so much cold!! LOL :bblonde: :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I had a go on one of those e scooters for hire. Lime scooters in this case. I needed to go and get my car from the garage about 6 miles away so I thought I might as well give it a go.

They're pretty good actually. 15mph top speed feels quite nippy in the context and with such terrible ride/handling. The brakes are AWFUL. The app is very good though, it gives you a map with all the ones near you and how far they can get. You can reserve them for 10 mins so no-one nabs it before you reach it.

Overall as an urban transport solution I'd say they're alright.

On the downside is did manage to stack it riding in a perfectly straight line. Going over some broken tarmac at all of 5-6mph I got pitched off violently (not sure how!) and landed like a sack of shit.

Currently waiting in the fracture clinic with a suspect broken collar bone :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

CRASHER!!!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I even wore an old bike jacket and a (bicycle) bash 'at because I'm sensible like that.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 pm On the downside is did manage to stack it riding in a perfectly straight line. Going over some broken tarmac at all of 5-6mph I got pitched off violently (not sure how!) and landed like a sack of shit.

Currently waiting in the fracture clinic with a suspect broken collar bone :lol:
You daft bugger!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 pm Currently waiting in the fracture clinic with a suspect broken collar bone :lol:
Oops.

First dibs on the Bonnie. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Oh and I sorta kinda broke the scooter. The handlebars went past the lockstops and I had to give them a proper shove to straighten them out and continue my journey for another mile.

With a potentially broken collar bone!