What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I didn't even realise that hospitality VAT had gone down - or that it went back up last week - until the guy who runs my local Chinese moaned about it.
Docca

Post by Docca »

WhatsApp is down. No big deal etc until you appreciate 90% of on-call rotas and emergency messaging in the NHS is run on it :geek:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 pm I didn't even realise that hospitality VAT had gone down - or that it went back up last week - until the guy who runs my local Chinese moaned about it.
Went from 20% down to 5% about the time the help out/eat out scheme started. It’s now gone to 12.5%, and due a return to 20% in April.
David

Post by David »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:31 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:09 pm Received a text from an unknown to me number, not unusual but I thought it amusing.

It read: Can you come to <island> for the day on the 28th, <female name> will collect you and drop you back at the ferry. xx

I've accepted the offer.
I'll be wearing a short skirt and carrying a copy of The Times under my arm.

Mwahh, til then dahling!

Still got the sparkly green toenails then?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Electric has gone off :( :( I did panic that maybe I hadn't paid a bill! But the whole building is out, so it's not just me!!!

I'm ok till the phone battery dies :o :o :o :o

Might go see if the cafe has electric so I can get a hot drink - no point getting the heater out till the electric comes back on!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Today, I had to kill a mouse :(

I have a man shed - I like it because it is 10 m by 5m. The problem is , at this time of year, so do mice.
I have tried humane traps - but if you catch two mice on trap over night they fight and do unmentionable thing to each other.
So I use sprung traps that kill instantly. You nave to park them up near a leg , or a wall or something, so it makes sure that the mouse approaches head on for an instant and kind, death. and they do get some peanut butter

Last nights a trap had had moved, hence Mr Mouse was trapped by this back leg ... unpleasant
:(

I still feel bad about killing it. I must be getting soft
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I can lend you a cat. Take your pick of five.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm Today, I had to kill a mouse :(
This story could have had a different ending....

S'all I'm sayin'....Don't feel bad or anything.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:07 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm Today, I had to kill a mouse :(
This story could have had a different ending....

S'all I'm sayin'....Don't feel bad or anything.
Thanks ... :hmmm:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to see the in-laws yesterday evening. M-I-L has vascular dementia which is causing a rapid decline in her mental health. Yesterday she asked where her son was and added, 'He never seems to come home these days'. I explained that her son, who is 50, moved out over 10 years ago, to live with his girlfriend.
She looked at me like i was stupid and said, 'I don't think so!'
'Yes, he lives with Kelly and her son, Dylan. You remember Dylan. They live together and Dylan is at university'
At this point Mrs. Gremlin came into the room, so M-I-L asks her where he is and why hasn't he come home,now getting agitated. Mrs. G explains as I did. We then went through several rounds of, 'If he had moved out, which he hasn't, he would have told me! I'm not stupid!'
Eventually, after we had explained patiently that he had moved out, had said goodbye, was living a short distance away and that we would get him to visit, she became quiet and then 10 minutes later started crying inconsolably, asking why he had moved out and not said goodbye.

Repeat ad-infinitum.

Dementia really is a fucking horrible condition for all concerned.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:00 pm Went to see the in-laws yesterday evening. M-I-L has vascular dementia which is causing a rapid decline in her mental health. Yesterday she asked where her son was and added, 'He never seems to come home these days'. I explained that her son, who is 50, moved out over 10 years ago, to live with his girlfriend.
She looked at me like i was stupid and said, 'I don't think so!'
'Yes, he lives with Kelly and her son, Dylan. You remember Dylan. They live together and Dylan is at university'
At this point Mrs. Gremlin came into the room, so M-I-L asks her where he is and why hasn't he come home,now getting agitated. Mrs. G explains as I did. We then went through several rounds of, 'If he had moved out, which he hasn't, he would have told me! I'm not stupid!'
Eventually, after we had explained patiently that he had moved out, had said goodbye, was living a short distance away and that we would get him to visit, she became quiet and then 10 minutes later started crying inconsolably, asking why he had moved out and not said goodbye.

Repeat ad-infinitum.

Dementia really is a fucking horrible condition for all concerned.
It's so horrible. I remember the last time I saw my Grannie she greeted me kindly then said "I've got a granddaughter that looks a bit like you, but she's in England so I never see her". She generally greeted my Dad by the name of one of her brothers :(
Last edited by Noggin on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:00 pm Dementia really is a fucking horrible condition for all concerned.
True that.
My MiL is going downhill fast.
Tricking her into eating and drinking is a real slog, worse than dealing with a 2 year old.

As for not remembering stuff, we've got the point where we don't argue with her now and let her think what she thinks is right is right, providing of course its not likely to lead to harm or distress, super fine line to walk but the alternative was doing no one any favours.

The only thing we take solace in is that we think / hope that she hasn't got a clue what's going on, it's killing the rest of the family seeing and dealing with her decline and I'd not wish it on my worst enemy.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My Step-Mother seems to have slowed down in her decline. Not sure she still recognises my wife but does recognise me. That said she has a succession of Carers in through the day so probably thinks Mrs T is one too. It's the little thing I notice with her, the slow erosion of emotion is one thing, but I can still get a laugh out of her. She reads aloud and I think I could get her one newspaper a week and get away with it as she clearly doesn't remember what she has and hasn't read! She still lies to save embarrassment though. If asked about something, she'll dismiss it, but if pushed, such as remembering my Son, She'll say of course I remember him, silly me.

I do gaslight her though, as it makes the multiple calls to her house a bit more bearable. I just can't stop for an hour each time as the calls are getting more and more frequent! I'll say something like I'll not stop tonight as I'll be up with your shopping tomorrow and we'll chat then. I don't even feel shit about doing it anymore.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Visited a school where I will be involved in some ministry, just low level stuff with helping teachers, listening to students etc.

Took my son to collect his glasses, thinner lenses, which with -16 in each eye is great. So lighter and more comfortable.

Sorted out mortgage again for house we are still trying to buy. They seem to have sorted out the issue with the "extra" bit of land belonging to a housing agency. Bought it off them and that needs to be ratified now.

Phoned a family who I need to visit this afternoon to arrange funeral for their daughter who passed away recently. So hard dealing with parents who have to bury their children.

Wrote part of one of two sermons I am delivering on Sunday. Two different Church services etc. Will be busy day with three services as usual.

Booked some time off in late October so I can relax with family, which may just be my daughter as wife is off to Hungary to visit her poorly father who is now very frail indeed. She has MRI for the brain mass on Wednesday next week which will hopefully mean she can travel safely... time will tell.

Life goes on.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Despite dying of the 'rona, I managed to fit some heated grips to the KRS.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Made the bike less dirty and drowned it in ACF-50. I also found some stone chips ☹️. It’s definitely not @weeksy clean.

Also pleased to find out the metallic rattle on tickover I can occasionally hear is the IMU or it’s sensor and that they all do that.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

It was a lovely morning early on,so after my walk I got my bike gear on and wheeled the bike out of the garage. Immediately the rain started. I wheeled it back in and spent the rest of the day looking at furniture with Mrs.Skub.

Some ya win....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Make a shepards/cottage pie? Well, it was mincemeat with peas carrots and onion and topped with Colcannon. Was certainly tasty, even if I do say so myself. :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 pm shepards/cottage pie? ... mincemeat
Sheep-related meat = 'shepherd' ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 pm shepards/cottage pie? ... mincemeat
Sheep-related meat = 'shepherd' ;)
Cottaging related meat = 'cottage'? :shock: