In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: In todays news...

Post by demographic »

In the face of it, you lot must care about this one cos you're so concerned about female prisoners and their situations.
Unless of course you're just more interested in trannies? Could go either way I guess.

Anyway, a recent report into womens prisons and one in particular...

"Mentally ill women are being held in “appalling” conditions in a prison where some cells are bloodstained and others have “extensively scratched” walls, a watchdog has warned.

The “terrible conditions” were described as the “worst he had seen” by one experienced inspector who visited HMP Eastwood Park, South Gloucestershire in October last year. Three women died at the prison in 2022 and inspectors found that rates of self-harm had increased by 128 per cent since their last inspection in 2019.

Staff used force on prisoners 395 times in the past year - a 75 per cent increase since the previous inspection. The prisons watchdog raised serious concerns about one part of the prison, called house block 4, where women with severe mental health needs were “effectively segregated"
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Not exactly today's news, more like last Thursday's - Boris Johnson gets £510,000 advance as taxpayers face rising legal bill for ex-PM

How come Bozo is eligible for free legal aid? And to defend himself over the partygate inquiry.

So maybe that's why Nadim Zahawi has been chased down by HMRC - so they can use (forcibly retrieved) tax payers money to pay Bozo's free legal aid bill.

Beggars belief.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Drop in the ocean, insignificant amount of money tbf.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm Drop in the ocean, insignificant amount of money tbf, given the amount he wasted on Track and Trace and gave to his mates via PPE
Finished that sentence for you.
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm Drop in the ocean, insignificant amount of money tbf, given the amount he wasted on Track and Trace and gave to his mates via PPE
Finished that sentence for you.
Quick, pull down those statues, keep it remainery ;)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Power companies must stop forcing poor people onto pre-payment meters. Or, to rephrase that, your bills for gas and electric will be going up to pay for the people who can't or won't pay their bills.

A spokesman for the water industry said on R4 today that every household paid something like £20 - £30 pa to cover bad debts like this - it is almost impossible to legally cut off water for non-payment. They suggested that the bad debt bill for power might be a bit higher.

Are you happy with that? Do you think poor people with bad debts that they cannot pay should be supported by the rest of us?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:39 pm Are you happy with that? Do you think poor people with bad debts that they cannot pay should be supported by the rest of us?
Depends. 15% of pensioners live below the poverty line. Do we want them to live without water (or electricity?). As far as the water companies are concerned though they should fund it themselves instead of paying dividends and vast sums to their parent companies. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I bet some people would complain about water debt relief with one breath, then donate to an African clean water charity with the next :think:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:58 pm African clean water charity
They can fuck right off, when did they forget how to dig wells, filter or boil water for themselves :angry-cussingblack:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 pm Depends. 15% of pensioners live below the poverty line. Do we want them to live without water (or electricity?). As far as the water companies are concerned though they should fund it themselves instead of paying dividends and vast sums to their parent companies. :thumbup:
I'm not a fan of water companies, and I have no beef about maintaining the status quo with them. Bad debts are a fact of business life, and I would agree with you that cutting their massive dividends would be a good idea. Investing in leak proof infrastructure would be a better use of their profits.

I am not however that keen on allowing lots of ner do wells to run up big debts for gas and electric and get off scot free. At the moment if they do that they get put on a pre-payment meter, and forced entry to fit that can only legally be done with a court order. I also know (from CA) that most power companies are sympathetic to paying off debts by installments, often over many years. They do however get tough to stop people with big debts running up even bigger debts, hence the prepayment meters. That seems fair to me.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 pm ... As far as the water companies are concerned though they should fund it themselves instead of paying dividends and vast sums to their parent companies. :thumbup:
And should invest in increasing capacity and technology to prevent regularly dumping huge amounts of sewerage into the rivers and sea ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:46 pm Depends. 15% of pensioners live below the poverty line. Do we want them to live without water (or electricity?). As far as the water companies are concerned though they should fund it themselves instead of paying dividends and vast sums to their parent companies. :thumbup:
I'm not a fan of water companies, and I have no beef about maintaining the status quo with them. Bad debts are a fact of business life, and I would agree with you that cutting their massive dividends would be a good idea. Investing in leak proof infrastructure would be a better use of their profits.

I am not however that keen on allowing lots of ner do wells to run up big debts for gas and electric and get off scot free. At the moment if they do that they get put on a pre-payment meter, and forced entry to fit that can only legally be done with a court order. I also know (from CA) that most power companies are sympathetic to paying off debts by installments, often over many years. They do however get tough to stop people with big debts running up even bigger debts, hence the prepayment meters. That seems fair to me.
I didn't mention ne'er do wells. :D

Water meters are pretty crude things. Ideally they'd fit meters which allowed x cubic meters/set period then throttled back supply pressure.

Oh, and if they're concerned about the cost of the water maybe they'd like to fix some leaks. (There's a small covered reservoir near here that they are constantly refilling with tankers. Meanwhile, 100 yards further down the road water is streaming along and has been for over a year. It gets quite exciting when the cars spread it all over and it freezes).
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:39 pm Power companies must stop forcing poor people onto pre-payment meters. Or, to rephrase that, your bills for gas and electric will be going up to pay for the people who can't or won't pay their bills.

A spokesman for the water industry said on R4 today that every household paid something like £20 - £30 pa to cover bad debts like this - it is almost impossible to legally cut off water for non-payment. They suggested that the bad debt bill for power might be a bit higher.

Are you happy with that? Do you think poor people with bad debts that they cannot pay should be supported by the rest of us?
The biggest issue I have with prepayment meters is that they are (or always used to be) more expensive. Even when not paying off a debt. So, the people with least money pay more for their energy/water because they have to be on a prepayment meter. That's the bit I think sucks
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:54 pm The biggest issue I have with prepayment meters is that they are (or always used to be) more expensive. Even when not paying off a debt. So, the people with least money pay more for their energy/water because they have to be on a prepayment meter. That's the bit I think sucks
Still true, the poorer you are, the more you pay, which really is utterly bizarre.
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:54 pm The biggest issue I have with prepayment meters is that they are (or always used to be) more expensive. Even when not paying off a debt. So, the people with least money pay more for their energy/water because they have to be on a prepayment meter. That's the bit I think sucks
Still true, the poorer you are, the more you pay, which really is utterly bizarre.
Had this discussion out here when my washing machine broke a few years ago. I really couldn't afford to buy a new one, but after using the launderette a few times I realised that I couldn't afford NOT to buy a machine!!

The world is not set up for those that are poor or having a poor time.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:16 pm The world is not set up for those that are poor or having a poor time.
This is where I agree with Skrewdriver...if a few people can take a few ££ off a few million or billion people, they're rich and the poor are just a bit poorer.
If you need to borrow a large amount of money you get a good rate. If you need to use a pay day loan or even a credit card....kerrbloodyching. If you need to buy enough for one or two at the supermarket then you'd better buy a freezer and buy family packs of frozen rather than fresh. Need to use public transport because you're poor and/or old? That's kerrbloodyching now too.
System's :angry-cussingblack: ed

(As it has been for years).
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:32 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:16 pm The world is not set up for those that are poor or having a poor time.
This is where I agree with Skrewdriver...if a few people can take a few ££ off a few million or billion people, they're rich and the poor are just a bit poorer.
If you need to borrow a large amount of money you get a good rate. If you need to use a pay day loan or even a credit card....kerrbloodyching. If you need to buy enough for one or two at the supermarket then you'd better buy a freezer and buy family packs of frozen rather than fresh. Need to use public transport because you're poor and/or old? That's kerrbloodyching now too.
System's :angry-cussingblack: ed

(As it has been for years).
It's the reason I managed to find and buy a small second hand chest freezer even tho my place is stupidly small - buying for one is ridiculously expensive :(
Ant

Post by Ant »

So, it's insects on the table for the woke statue hating Guardian readers.....

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-insects-climat ... l-1573-rdf
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:55 pm So, it's insects on the table for the woke statue hating Guardian readers.....

You missed out "Leftist, tofu eating, GB News/The Mail/Express told me and Snowflake..."

2/10 must try harder. You do know that if your too predictable you eventually become a caricature of your self don't you?
Ant

Post by Ant »

demographic wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:17 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:55 pm So, it's insects on the table for the woke statue hating Guardian readers.....

You missed out "Leftist, tofu eating, GB News/The Mail/Express told me and Snowflake..."

2/10 must try harder. You do know that if your too predictable you eventually become a caricature of your self don't you?
Oh god yes, how could I have not included the tofu eating, cous cous merchants. Throw granola at them! The James O'Brien cucks :lol:

Oh and it's you're, not your. 1/10 for that one mate ;)