Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
cheb

Re: Debanking

Post by cheb »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:28 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:01 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:16 pm
I know what I want, but I don't think anyone is going to pay me to ride motorcycles and make love to beautiful women, never mind the £65K I get for being employed in IT doing a job that, from a technical perspective, is pretty easy, it's the being an employee part I find taxing, being polite to twats isn't easy, so working for myself would be worse (tried it, didn't like it)

What am I going to do with my retirement - ride motorcycles and make love to beautiful women.
You'll be too old :lol:
He better have a massive pension
The more guests he has the greater the chances?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Swiss Tony lives! :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:28 pm massive pension
Was the second word an autocorrect?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:35 pm Greg Smith MP, vice-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Fair Business Banking, said: “The Farage case of political debanking has only just blown the tip off the iceberg
So (as eny fule no) nine-tenths of an iceberg sits below the waterline. Having blown the tip off it, does that make the heinous act of debanking more or less visible to the casual onlooker?
If you blow the tip off, another part will be the tip.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:16 pm
I know what I want, but I don't think anyone is going to pay me to ride motorcycles and make love to beautiful women, never mind the £65K I get for being employed in IT doing a job that, from a technical perspective, is pretty easy, it's the being an employee part I find taxing, being polite to twats isn't easy, so working for myself would be worse (tried it, didn't like it)

What am I going to do with my retirement - ride motorcycles and make love to beautiful women.
Sadly not the case, I'll have enough to live nicely on, but there will be no fancy holidays in retirement for me, but once you've retired what are you having a holiday from?

Also I've no desire to live past 80, I don't want to be kept alive to make a profit for an old people's home.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:54 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:35 pm Greg Smith MP, vice-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Fair Business Banking, said: “The Farage case of political debanking has only just blown the tip off the iceberg
So (as eny fule no) nine-tenths of an iceberg sits below the waterline. Having blown the tip off it, does that make the heinous act of debanking more or less visible to the casual onlooker?
If you blow the tip off, another part will be the tip.
Yah boo - too sensible...

I reckon that Greg Smith couldn't decide whether to use 'blow the doors off' or 'tip of the iceberg' and decided to combine the two.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:56 pm Also I've no desire to live past 80, I don't want to be kept alive to make a profit for an old people's home.
Careful what you wish for. I have <3 years to go, and I have no plans to pop my clogs yet, nor have I any plans to move into an old people's home.

Au contraire, I am off to the Pyrenees on a bike next month, and I am toying with the idea of riding the Karakorum Highway in 2024.

Old is just a number.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:56 pm

Sadly not the case, I'll have enough to live nicely on, but there will be no fancy holidays in retirement for me, but once you've retired what are you having a holiday from?
It's a good question. Having retired people seemed to be constantly asking 'Where are you going on holiday?' To which my reply was 'I am on holiday'.
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't think I'm going to hanker after much in full retirement that I don't already have, but I'm not inclined to paint myself into a corner with limited choices either. I'm sure I'd feel claustrophobic. I think having a break from your everyday routine is good for the soul.
A break from the weather, or the same old scenery.

Two weeks living out of a suitcase in a hotel in some bling tourist place doesn't appeal to me, but I think that having options is very agreeable.
My mate is retired fully, he lives just outside London, he's very happy, but at least once a year he takes himself off for a wander to see stuff he hasn't seen before, he sent me an email from Vietnam a while ago, they'd gone over there for a month just to see the country for a bit.

I don't know if I'd do that, but I'd still like the choice.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:12 am I don't think I'm going to hanker after much in full retirement that I don't already have, but I'm not inclined to paint myself into a corner with limited choices either. I'm sure I'd feel claustrophobic. I think having a break from your everyday routine is good for the soul.
A break from the weather, or the same old scenery.

Two weeks living out of a suitcase in a hotel in some bling tourist place doesn't appeal to me...
For a while, not standing around at airports and living out of a suitcase in hotels etc was a break from routine. :D

Went on lots of residential courses in some v nice places in the UK doing stuff I'd not had time for before. Still do but not as often as when I first retired. I suppose that's 'holidays'. Currently thinking about doing a course based in Pau. There are quite a few people running arts based courses in France, on Greek islands etc so you can combine the holibob vibe with learning/doing stuff. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:40 am
For a while, not standing around at airports and living out of a suitcase in hotels etc was a break from routine. :D

Went on lots of residential courses in some v nice places in the UK doing stuff I'd not had time for before. Still do but not as often as when I first retired. I suppose that's 'holidays'. Currently thinking about doing a course based in Pau. There are quite a few people running arts based courses in France, on Greek islands etc so you can combine the holibob vibe with learning/doing stuff. :thumbup:
A girl I went to school with runs a place in Spain like that.

I plan to hit the local tech college for everything going, a welding course will be first, then whatever else they have.
I'm hoping for a general machining type course as well, I've got a well provisioned workshop and if I can get up to a level where I can make some money from stuff then I can do small fabrications for people as a paying hobby, currently I can use my lathe/mill but I'm not great and I can weld but dreadfully.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Y'all must bore easily. I stopped full time 'proper' work when I was 38,which is now (fuck me) 30 years ago and I've never felt the need to go looking for a new hobby or things to fill my day.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:30 am

I plan to hit the local tech college for everything going, a welding course will be first, then whatever else they have.
I'm hoping for a general machining type course as well, I've got a well provisioned workshop and if I can get up to a level where I can make some money from stuff then I can do small fabrications for people as a paying hobby, currently I can use my lathe/mill but I'm not great and I can weld but dreadfully.
I'll do similar. Holidays are for doing fook all but I'm over it in a week. Give me a week in the sun every 3-4 months and I'll be happy as Larry.

I'll happily use the rest of the time learning useful skills for the shed. And if people want to drop me a few quid as an odd jobber, that works too.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

I semi-retired at 49 and moved to Bulgaria. I've had 4 offers from 3 UK companies to work remotely, salary between £250 and £300 per day, but the idea of sitting in front of a Mac for 9 hours per day while getting fat and unhealthy didn't appeal to me. Instead, I'm working as a building labourer for £22 per day (yeah, take the piss :D ). Some might think I'm completely mad, but that £22 per day covers all weekly expenses for me and 10 dogs, leaving me with only the yearly one-off expenses to worry about (car and bike taxes/insurance, winter heating etc). I'm almost entirely working within a few minutes of home, 6 hours a day and finish by 2pm (1pm on Fridays). But most important, it's keeping me fit and I'm picking up skills I really should have known long ago which I'll be putting to good use on my own house come Autumn.
It took 4 years but I did eventually get bored with retirement.
Potter

Post by Potter »

As I said we're all different, these tales of minimalist living are smashing if that's your thing, but it wouldn't work for me.

Yesterday I got a call off my lad asking what I'm doing next weekend because he's off for three days, I'm on the other side of the world but life is short and I like hanging out with him, so a quick chat with the wife, some plans rearranged, two business flights booked, hotel rooms in London (and about twelve grand later) and we'll be spending it with my lad having fish & chips in The Ivy if I can swing a table. When I get back our middle daughter and her husband want us to spend three days in the Maldives with them, so that's yet to be planned.

Admittedly stuff like that is not every weekend, sometimes I sit around in old ripped Asda shorts and eat peanut butter on toast, sometimes I'm in the garage covered in oil, sometimes I'm gardening or cleaning gutters, but sometimes I actually might want to charter a yacht in the Maldives with my daughter or blow twelve large on a weekend with my lad.
If I didn't have the freedom to do what I want, when I want, then it would piss me off.

Like I said, vive la difference, but I'm probably not going to win in a reverse snobbery "look at how cheap I can do retirement living" competition.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 pm As I said we're all different, these tales of minimalist living are smashing if that's your thing, but it wouldn't work for me.

Yesterday I got a call off my lad asking what I'm doing next weekend because he's off for three days, I'm on the other side of the world but life is short and I like hanging out with him, so a quick chat with the wife, some plans rearranged, two business flights booked, hotel rooms in London (and about twelve grand later) and we'll be spending it with my lad having fish & chips in The Ivy if I can swing a table. When I get back our middle daughter and her husband want us to spend three days in the Maldives with them, so that's yet to be planned.

Admittedly stuff like that is not every weekend, sometimes I sit around in old ripped Asda shorts and eat peanut butter on toast, sometimes I'm in the garage covered in oil, sometimes I'm gardening or cleaning gutters, but sometimes I actually might want to charter a yacht in the Maldives with my daughter or blow twelve large on a weekend with my lad.
If I didn't have the freedom to do what I want, when I want, then it would piss me off.

Like I said, vive la difference, but I'm probably not going to win in a reverse snobbery "look at how cheap I can do retirement living" competition.
You'll be winning next weeks Friday thread though
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:12 pm
You'll be winning next weeks Friday thread though
I lost it this week though, we haven't really done anything except a bit of shopping and visiting friends and relatives.
I did have a glass of beer earlier with breakfast though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:15 pm
I thought you were from Stoke, not Hamburg.
Honda Owner
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:17 pm
Potter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:15 pm
I thought you were from Stoke, not Hamburg.
He put Brasso in it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 pm (and about twelve grand later) .
The polluters must pay, they must pay.

I'll just be glad if I can afford enough textured insect protein.