PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Rockburner

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:30 am
Rockburner wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 am Got some last night so wasn't really on the lookout. That said, a few garages on the way in seemed to have people filling up without the long queues, so maybe normality is being restored.
We walked down to the local BP last night (it's an M&S as well, we were hoping to buy some tasty treats), the place was shut up almost as if it was closing down. There was even metal fencing across the entire frontage to prevent people driving onto the forecourt.

I've not been out looking for fuel yet, luckily my current travel needs are minimal, although I was hoping to go to Stafford on Sunday to watch Dad's bikes going under the hammer, that's going to be a last minute decision now, :(.
Wow! That's a pretty big shop for a service station IIRC. To keep that shut must be losing them £££s. Maybe the staff were getting too much aggro? (Maybe they plan to redevelop it).
I've a funny feeling it was redeveloped only recently (as in a year or two ago), so I can only assume they've 'shut down' temporarily.
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've seen shops attached to garages closed recently. Probably isn't worth their bother of opening. My local BP has an M&S franchise (?) and it was stocked to the gunwales the other morning, but bugger all petrol. Might be supply problems, might be the lack of trade causing them to close.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:03 am Stupidly offered to make the mother-in-law a lamb casserole last night...
You'll be pleased to know the casserole got made, plenty for the in-law's freezer and a reasonable plateful got eaten last night when we went around there, which is always good as the m-i-l doesn't eat much, a result of the dementia.

I made the mistake of asking how the casserole was, to which I got he reply, 'It's OK, now stop fucking going on about it!'.

Beats being called a 'cunt', I suppose. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:50 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:03 am Stupidly offered to make the mother-in-law a lamb casserole last night...
You'll be pleased to know the casserole got made, plenty for the in-law's freezer and a reasonable plateful got eaten last night when we went around there, which is always good as the m-i-l doesn't eat much, a result of the dementia.

I made the mistake of asking how the casserole was, to which I got he reply, 'It's OK, now stop fucking going on about it!'.

Those were two of her lucid moments. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:09 pm

They do say that dementia simple erodes the filter, so I suppose she's always thought I was cunt, but had managed to bite her tongue for years. :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:44 am I've seen shops attached to garages closed recently. Probably isn't worth their bother of opening. My local BP has an M&S franchise (?) and it was stocked to the gunwales the other morning, but bugger all petrol. Might be supply problems, might be the lack of trade causing them to close.
There's an old petrol station at Witham on the A12 has an S&M franchise in the old Little Chef
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:38 pm

They do say that dementia simple erodes the filter, so I suppose she's always thought I was cunt, but had managed to bite her tongue for years. :D
I'm still biting my tongue.
Last edited by Yorick on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:55 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm still buying my tongue.
You have your tongue on a PCP? :shock:
Voltaire
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Seemed to be plenty in Plymouth when I came through earlier.
Potter

Post by Potter »

What's next then?

Thread opened on the 24th and it's all done bar the navel gazing less than two weeks later.

So what's next on the panic buying agenda and are we having a sweepstake to see how long it lasts in the face of "This will last forever and we're all doomed" predictions?

I'm tempted to go with something big like bottled water, rumours about the water supply being cut off and fighting in the aisles over the Volvic, but history has shown it's likely to be over bog roll or toothpaste.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:54 am
Thread opened on the 24th and it's all done bar the navel gazing less than two weeks later.
All done ? Where ? It's still pretty crap in the south. Mrs Weeksy went out on Tues arvo, still no diesel.

I'm slightly concerned that my new bike arrives with not a lot of fuel so i end up trying to get some and failing... either that or i take a jerry can out today and look like a complete spanner filling up a 20L can.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:33 am
All done ? Where ? It's still pretty crap in the south. Mrs Weeksy went out on Tues arvo, still no diesel.

I'm slightly concerned that my new bike arrives with not a lot of fuel so i end up trying to get some and failing... either that or i take a jerry can out today and look like a complete spanner filling up a 20L can.
There are still small pockets that are trying to catch up, not helped by people still panic buying in case it runs out again.
Now it's shown to be particularly vulnerable I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again once the media have got nothing better to run with.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Thread opened on the 24th and it's all done
All done ? Where ?
UAE. Oil grows on trees out there.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:41 am.
Now it's shown to be particularly vulnerable I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again once the media have got nothing better to run with.
It could be anything next. Supply and demand of most things is finely balanced. If that balance gets upset then problems occur.

As the economy reopens and ramps up all sorts of bottlenecks will probably appear.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Good luck, apparently some sites are refusing to allow cans
non quod, sed quomodo
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 am

I wish the one I used yesterday did, I was stood in a puddle of diesel putting my rationed £35 in.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Still no diesel here... Happily i only needed petrol though today.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:54 am What's next then?

So what's next on the panic buying agenda and are we having a sweepstake to see how long it lasts in the face of "This will last forever and we're all doomed" predictions?

I'm tempted to go with something big like bottled water, rumours about the water supply being cut off and fighting in the aisles over the Volvic, but history has shown it's likely to be over bog roll or toothpaste.
Turkeys
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 am
Rockburner wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 am

I wish the one I used yesterday did, I was stood in a puddle of diesel putting my rationed £35 in.
You couldve mopped it up and sold it on.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The local station is closed again. :( That's £35s worth in one car since it all kicked off and £0 in the other. Ho hum.
Voltaire