In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

I recycle my own plastic. Best estimate I have seen is about 5% of plastic sent for recycling actually gets recycled.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:48 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm It does seem like a losing battle sometimes, but the general populace only have themselves to blame IMO.

Milk is a good example. If everyone had said "you know what? I'm actually gonna keep buying milk in reusable glass bottles and bollox to the supermarket" there'd still be loads of milkmen wouldn't there? I can see why you wouldn't do that, Supermarkets are cheap, but that's the reality innit?
https://climatechangedispatch.com/stoss ... s-garbage/
LOL. This article was brought to you by the provisional wing of the American petrochemical industry. 'Use more plastic! Throw it away. Bury it. Burn it. Use more plastic! Kerrrching!' :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So here's a Q...why don't dairys have reusable plastic bottles? There must a reason(s).
Ant

Post by Ant »

So Richie Sunak has been fined for being in the back of a car without a seatbelt! Naughty boy! Everyone knows that you're a risk to the person in front in an accident if you're not wearing a seat belt. Is he fit to run the country if he can't even follow basic safety rules?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Lots of knobheads all over the place slagging off the PM for going a few minutes without seat belt.

None of them have obviously never broken any driving laws.
Speeding? No. They're all perfect :D
David

Post by David »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:01 am So here's a Q...why don't dairys have reusable plastic bottles? There must a reason(s).
One v.good reason would be that they can't be cleaned economically.
You could use glass bottles , but you would need a nationwide system to deliver and collect them to individual houses, and that would never work.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:18 am Lots of knobheads all over the place slagging off the PM for going a few minutes without seat belt.

Aye, knobheads the lot of them. Wonder if any of them are creepy old men who would post the details of a young females facebook page in a motorbike forums 'random photos' thread, though? That would be being a knobhead.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

David wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:19 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:01 am So here's a Q...why don't dairys have reusable plastic bottles? There must a reason(s).
One v.good reason would be that they can't be cleaned economically.
You could use glass bottles , but you would need a nationwide system to deliver and collect them to individual houses, and that would never work.
Not until you've got a reliable EV for all those door to door stops!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Melting point of HDPE is only 125ºC

It goes very soft way before then, you wouldn't be able to sterilise the bottle.

It does raise a question about introducing so much plastic into the human food chain though. It's really not good for you!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:48 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:01 pm It does seem like a losing battle sometimes, but the general populace only have themselves to blame IMO.

Milk is a good example. If everyone had said "you know what? I'm actually gonna keep buying milk in reusable glass bottles and bollox to the supermarket" there'd still be loads of milkmen wouldn't there? I can see why you wouldn't do that, Supermarkets are cheap, but that's the reality innit?
https://climatechangedispatch.com/stoss ... s-garbage/
He might have some points but he spoils it by going to far in the other direction. If the environmental groups made mistakes it isn't a reason to give up, it's a reason to make them explain themselves better.
I don't want to waste money and energy doing pointless things just because they sound good to Greta, but I do want to reduce packaging waste.
That said I'm not sure the UK bottle deposit thing is a good idea, instead of putting them into my recycling bin I'm going to have to take my rubbish back to the supermarket.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:18 am Lots of knobheads all over the place slagging off the PM for going a few minutes without seat belt.

You have to sorta question the blokes savvy when he actually films himself doing a crime and posts it for the world to see :P
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am

:thumbup:
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's a company which uses an old R reg milk float....what's that, mid 70s?....round my way. I see it on the 70mph grid roads in rush hour, merrily trundling along at 19mph :lol:

The young guy driving even has a white coat and peaked hat.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:19 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am

:thumbup:
We use still use a similar version of those but with a high top and tailift for transporting stuff around site.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Aren't a lot of airside vehicles electric, including all the baggage tugs? I think even some of the high torque ones may be.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

BA use driverless electric tugs with some of their planes. Double whammy of modern.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Gregor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:15 pm

You have to sorta question the blokes savvy when he actually films himself doing a crime and posts it for the world to see :P
So far as I'm aware, it was a fixed penalty notice which isn't classed as a criminal offence.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Gregor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:15 pm
It's a bit like doing a helmet cam of 170mph and popping wheelies on your way to work and posting it up for the world to see. :D

(Well, apart from being Prime Minister, obvs. I don't suppose he's very good at wheelies, he probably has a stunt double for that sort of thing).
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Maybe it's just an age/generation/something else thing, but for me going in a car without a seatbelt is like wearing shoes on the wrong feet or writing with your non dominant hand. It just feels immediately wrong and 'off'. I don't think I could ever do it by mistake.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Last year some 17yo bloke in LA deliberately ran over a young mum & her kid in a stroller. It was caught on video.
The guy crashed & was hauled off. Our wonderful shitstain of a DA gave him a slap on the wrist & he was back on the streets around New Year.

Karma found the guy last night. Someone walked up to him in Palmdale & executed the fucker.