In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:09 am
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:00 am
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 pm I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
She is a pawn who has been brainwashed by her parents and féted by the rich and powerful who also used her to express their own meaningless virtue signalling. I don't believe any of them.
That is a post of quite breathtaking condescension.
Maybe not condescending.

Judging by what her mother said in this book, Greta had a sudden epiphany where she discovered that all her problems were caused by her "imperiled future on a rapidly heating planet". In other words, that was 'the answer'.

Alternatively her parents could have helped by providing counselling to help her deal with her Aspergers/OCD.
When climate activist Greta Thunberg was eleven, her parents Malena and Svante, and her little sister Beata, were facing a crisis in their own home. Greta had stopped eating and speaking, and her mother and father had reconfigured their lives to care for her. Desperate and searching for answers, her parents discovered what was at the heart of Greta's distress: her imperiled future on a rapidly heating planet.

Steered by Greta's determination to understand the truth and generate change, they began to see the deep connections between their own suffering and the planet's. Written by a remarkable family and told through the voice of an iconoclastic mother, Our House Is on Fire is the story of how they fought their problems at home by taking global action. And it is the story of how Greta decided to go on strike from school, igniting a worldwide rebellion.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

She does have a point though.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:10 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:00 am

She is a pawn who has been brainwashed by her parents and féted by the rich and powerful who also used her to express their own meaningless virtue signalling. I don't believe any of them.
Maybe not condescending.

Judging by what her mother said in this book, Greta had a sudden epiphany where she discovered that all her problems were caused by her "imperiled future on a rapidly heating planet". In other words, that was 'the answer'.

Alternatively her parents could have helped by providing counselling to help her deal with her Aspergers/OCD.
The post is condescending because it paints Greta as a powerless pawn, with no agency of her own. This is clearly nonsense and to attempt to point a remarkably strong-minded and determined young woman as a pawn is entirely condescending.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:43 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 pm
Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:56 pm Lose the cell key :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64309628
I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
Thankfully we are not all the same. We dont like the same things or the same people. I find it funny that she was detained so i posted it in here as it was meant to be the funny side of news thread but like when it was on TRC it was taken over by all the miserable folk who just want to rabbit politics and question folks actions for the sake of some point scoring shit.
Ah yes, the old 'can't you take a joke?' gambit.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 pm She does have a point though.
A point that a significant proportion of the world are happier to avoid, on the slim chance that they can amateurishly diagnose her at distance, as mentally ill. Hilarious.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:17 pm
irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:10 pm
Maybe not condescending.

The post is condescending because it paints Greta as a powerless pawn, with no agency of her own. This is clearly nonsense and to attempt to point a remarkably strong-minded and determined young woman as a pawn is entirely condescending.
That depends on whether you see Greta as "a remarkably strong-minded and determined young woman", as you evidently do, or as someone whose parents failed her after her Asperger's diagnosis leaving her at the mercy of her untreated OCD, as some others do.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:48 pm someone whose parents failed her after her Asperger's diagnosis leaving her at the mercy of her untreated OCD
Fact

Or?

It was a slow, gradual process but she was eventually diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome (a form of ‘high-functioning autism’) and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Over time, with treatment, her mood began to lift and she returned to education

https://togetherband.org/blogs/news/gre ... rg-parents
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:18 pm
irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:48 pm someone whose parents failed her after her Asperger's diagnosis leaving her at the mercy of her untreated OCD
Fact

Or?

It was a slow, gradual process but she was eventually diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome (a form of ‘high-functioning autism’) and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Over time, with treatment, her mood began to lift and she returned to education

Unfortunately Hoss, the people that need to see the BBC programme about her ('I am Greta' available on i-Player) are the ones who wouldn't watch it even peeking through their fingers and grinding their teeth because it might interfere with their pre-formed prejudices.

Fact.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I find Greta comes across as an intelligent and funny young woman. Mind you, she might have peaked early in her comedy career with the Andrew Tate pizza box Tweet.
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Fact

Or?

Unfortunately Hoss, the people that need to see the BBC programme about her ('I am Greta' available on i-Player) are the ones who wouldn't watch it even peeking through their fingers and grinding their teeth because it might interfere with their pre-formed prejudices.

Fact.
You quoted the second part of what I posted out of context.

Fact.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 pm

Fact

Or?

Fact.

Fact.
Fact? I didn't quote part of anything you said, in or out of context. I replied to someone else's post.

Possibly an alternative 'fact' then? :lol:
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Fact.

Fact.
Fact? I didn't quote part of anything you said, in or out of context. I replied to someone else's post.

You quoted a post which selectively included only the second part of my post.

Nice swerve, but fail. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:27 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Fact.

You quoted a post which selectively included only the second part of my post.

Nice swerve, but fail. :lol:
You want me to edit posts I reply to, to include the bits you want me to reply to? Swerve? Fail?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In your dreams. :lol:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 pm You quoted the second part of what I posted out of context.
Fact.
I make a point of not filling entire pages of the board with irrelevant material. Perhaps I shouldn't.

Either you posted it, or you didn't. Fact, or perhaps not. So let's go through it all.

That depends on whether you see Greta as "a remarkably strong-minded and determined young woman", as you evidently do,

Well, that's irrelevant to Asperger's, OCD and treatment.

or as someone whose parents failed her after her Asperger's diagnosis leaving her at the mercy of her untreated OCD

The bit I quoted.

as some others do.

Ah. There's the crux. You're saying what others say, not what you think. OK. So none of your facts, my sincere apologies for thinking it. Or someone else's facts that you don't agree with? You're not being clear about it. Again, apologies for presuming that you would have posted something you agreed with. Unlike you to not be clear. Especially not, this time, a Fact. Perhaps, in future, you could highlight 'Fact' or 'Not a Fact' in posts. In the meantime, should we assume 'not fact' unless you say otherwise?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Is it time for a 'Whoosh' post yet?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Probably
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yebbut would she get it?
irie

Post by irie »

cheb wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:52 pm Is it time for a 'Whoosh' post yet?
Greta wouldn't get it.
Felix

Post by Felix »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:36 pm Ah yes, the old 'can't you take a joke?' gambit.
And i said that where?
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:52 pm Is it time for a 'Whoosh' post yet?
Greta wouldn't get it.
Given that people with autism often have difficulty understanding abstract concepts, that wouldn't be too surprising.