The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

Well the boy is back off the bike for another few weeks yet, so thought i'd spend a bit of time and fit the forks ready for playing.

He'll be allowed to do some road/kerb testing to get the sag and initial rebound settings this week, but not much more than that at the moment. We bought a Shockwiz from a member on STW, so that'll be fitted for testing and then when back in anger too.
The only difference is that they sit 1cm higher than the XFusions due to clamps/travel/position. I guess we could move it down fractionally or fit slightly lower rise bars if needed. He probably is picky enough that he'll notice, which is obviously a good thing as he is quite observant with bike changes/setup. But everything else is pretty much the same.

Plan is hopefully to make the 11th Dec race. We've cancelled Twisted Oaks race and 417 race to give him some more time to recover fully.

Image2022-11-22_09-17-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-22_09-17-32 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Numnut

Post by Numnut »

Sounds like it might be an exciting year ahead...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Today’s update is the biggest one we've had with regards to weeksy08 and his racing.

A month or so ago we got an email when chatting which was very much out of the blue.

Since then it's been more and more mails, more discussions and more in the way of the plot thickening.

But the announcement today is that weeksy08 has signed to the newly created team of Katy Curd Coaching and the Privateer Young Guns.

Image073A7694 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Katy Curd Coaching. Katy has been waiting for years to be able to make this happen and I can't put into words just how proud we are to be part of the squad. It'll be a 3 rider team, he'll competing in DH and Enduro in 2023. Katy is an absolutely infectious personality and her passion comes out in spades every time we speak.

Both ourselves and her have long term goals, aims and dreams and they've all magically aligned and this opportunity has come up for us to race for her. Part of this team brings masses of coaching, guiding, on-course, off-course, at various locations and even on-race tuition, coaching and assistance. This will push James higher and harder, along with personal training and physical development to get him to the next level. It's going to be absolutely epic.

2023 we've got various targets, he will be DH racing in British National Downhill Series and Pearce DH events.Alongside that he will be racing in Southern Enduro series along with the Haibike Enduro series for 2023.

One of the other aims and goals is obviously Social Media content and progressing his development of all forms of media to enhance his personal profile. With this in mind, Instagram tagging, YouTube, Facebook etc will become an integral part of the future for the lad along with providing riding content on a regular basis. As you'll be aware, he's a very very stylish rider and jumper, so with a bit of time and effort he should be able to get some pretty impressive pics and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@MrWeeksy59

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider11196 ... s/results/

@weeksy08 on Instgram (please add the boy on Insta to increase his profile, he'll be entertaining, I promise you that.)

https://www.instagram.com/weeksy08/

https://www.instagram.com/katycurdcoaching/

https://www.instagram.com/foxmikemtb/

https://www.instagram.com/privateerbikes/

Sunday brought the first meeting of the team, all getting their new kit and starting to find their friendships within the crew. This was really one of the easiest parts as Katy has chosen her riders really well. They’re all really nice kids, polite, attentive and you can see how they formed bonds quickly, playing off each others’ strengths.

Image2022-11-20_03-06-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-20_03-05-33 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-24_10-42-30 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-24_01-23-04 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The boy is working hard on training, fitness and core while off the bike, taking various classes on conditioning and developing his strength. As soon as he's back on the bike we've got days of uplift planned at all Pearce Racing event sites. Plus numerous coaching sessions with Katy and her team. We're waiting for dates for 2023 to come out for both the National Downhill Series along with Pearce events. Southern Enduro events will be taken as 'B' events, not meaning they're less important to his development but with the National and Pearce being the 'A' events, they will be giving different priorities in terms of booking.

We'll be spending quite a few hours on the road next year I think, with events in Scotland and Wales being fairly high up in the calendar, but we're very much looking forward to it.

Katy for anyone who doesn't know runs and owns

https://www.katycurdcoaching.com/ She raced at World Cup level obtaining multiple podiums in DH along with a pile of British Championships. But for us, it's her personality and coaching that meant within minutes of her offer, it was signed and sealed within the family and a response of "YES" was sent to her. The boy has been coached by her for a few years and we've tried other coaches, other courses but every time we've asked him “Let's go to Katy" is always his answer. She sees something in him and he sees something in her that means they have a brilliant bond.

He will currently be racing DH on his GT Furys, both the newer 2019 bike as his primary machine, now kitted up with the Rockshox Boxxer forks and Hope Pro4 wheels. Alongside that will be the older 2018 GT Fury, ready to roll with a 'muddy' setup, but its main function will be a a race spare.
For the Enduro races he'll be on a Privateer 141 very kindly supplied by Katy and Privateer bikes, he's really looking forward to this and hopefully the differences in terrain, fitness, strength etc of racinf Enduro will obviously also help with the DH racing.

Image2022-11-22_09-17-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Let’s see what 2023 brings !
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

Ye ha! Super exciting. Good luck for 2023 guys 🍻
G.P

Post by G.P »

Fantastic news guys!
Now following James on instagram :)
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

Awesome stuff, well done!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Well done Team Weeksy.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Think i need to start a 'race van' go fund me :D

I even got in the photos
Image2022-11-24_07-35-48 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

@Welsh Muffin declined though :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Nice one, good luck to James, hope it all goes well, sounds like a really good opportunity.
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

It's awesome news but I'm still confused as to where his speed comes from :) ;)

Def time to buy a race van or motorhome !
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:02 am It's awesome news but I'm still confused as to where his speed comes from :) ;)

You're asking the wrong person mate. I just drive him places... Even seeing him out there injured and trying to go slow, it's faster than i think i'll ever be lol.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Brilliant stuff, onwards and upwards for James.....He has come a long way since we all watched him wobble about on small bikes in the Pembrey track paddock
crust

Post by crust »

So chuffed for him, Ceri and you.

Really exciting times, looking forward next year and his progression to bigger and better things.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:55 pm So chuffed for him, Ceri and you.

Really exciting times, looking forward next year and his progression to bigger and better things.
You need to start getting your spanners together and getting out to a race meet :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Couchy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:02 am It's awesome news but I'm still confused as to where his speed comes from :) ;)

Here we go again
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:02 pm

Here we go again
I spent the morning looking and TBH there's more options now than there was when i was looking last time.

But i can't help but think that when we had the Vito, it wasn't quite enough and to be really worth it i'd need to be going daft big like a Peugeot Boxer type size and that becomes considerably less practical day to day. However i basically don't ever drive the car, unless going somewhere with MTBs. Every now and again i go to the Supermarket, but mostly Mrs Weeksy is about anyway so i could in theory take the Focus.

The van thing will and is likely to happen... I just don't know if it'll be 3 months, 12 months or 3 years from now.
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

If only you had a motorbike to pop to the shops on 🤣🤣
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Crosshair wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:55 pm If only you had a motorbike to pop to the shops on 🤣🤣
Still need to find some extra funding though.

Now, if everyone on here threw in £100 I'd have a van by end of weekend :angelic-green:
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm I spent the morning looking and TBH there's more options now than there was when i was looking last time.

But i can't help but think that when we had the Vito, it wasn't quite enough and to be really worth it i'd need to be going daft big like a Peugeot Boxer type size and that becomes considerably less practical day to day. However i basically don't ever drive the car, unless going somewhere with MTBs. Every now and again i go to the Supermarket, but mostly Mrs Weeksy is about anyway so i could in theory take the Focus.

The van thing will and is likely to happen... I just don't know if it'll be 3 months, 12 months or 3 years from now.
If I had the parking space, I'd go for a VW Crafter sized motorhome with a garage part for the bikes, but I can't see that being practical for you either as you've got less parking space than I have, I think you'll have to go Bedford Rascal campervan, or total pikey and get some form of Luton van as you really want room to stand up in to get changed into and out of riding kit
Honda Owner