Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by weeksy »

Service completed and thanks to my mate and the prices of Fords, it was less than i expected in honesty...

Pretty happy with the service from Anchor Vans, they do free collection and drop-off too so i never even had to leave my house :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So we're coming up to 12 months in on the van now... Any regrets... Nope, none at all.

If i were being picky and really looking for something to regret, maybe something like a Vito which gets better MPG could have worked better... but then i'd have missed out on space and seating compared to the Transit, so still NO, no regrets as such.
The boy has done 10+ nights sleeping in the van this year without any issues at all, i think the nights were bordering on single figures at times. If we were doing colder nights, i'd want more warmth personally, but he doesn't seem to care as much as me in that sense.

The rest though, all good. It's done 21,000 in this year which is a lot considering i drove it on Sat this week, the day i drove it before that was the Sunday before... I'll be amazed if it does more than 15 miles this week before it goes out for Sat/Sun duties, so mid-week we're barely using the van at all. Not sure what my mpg is, i can't change it so i've ignored it mostly, but i'm guessing 34-35 from when i've checked previously.
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:20 am So we're coming up to 12 months in on the van now... Any regrets... Nope, none at all.

If i were being picky and really looking for something to regret, maybe something like a Vito which gets better MPG could have worked better... but then i'd have missed out on space and seating compared to the Transit, so still NO, no regrets as such.
The boy has done 10+ nights sleeping in the van this year without any issues at all, i think the nights were bordering on single figures at times. If we were doing colder nights, i'd want more warmth personally, but he doesn't seem to care as much as me in that sense.

The rest though, all good. It's done 21,000 in this year which is a lot considering i drove it on Sat this week, the day i drove it before that was the Sunday before... I'll be amazed if it does more than 15 miles this week before it goes out for Sat/Sun duties, so mid-week we're barely using the van at all. Not sure what my mpg is, i can't change it so i've ignored it mostly, but i'm guessing 34-35 from when i've checked previously.
re Vito compared to the Custom I think you made the right choice. Sam uses a Custom and I use a Vito and there's a considerable difference in size in the back. When it comes to mpg I'd like to be able to compare but most of the roads around Caerphilly and Cardiff are 20mph now. The mpg in the Vito has dropped to 23. I used to like living in Wales.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The big blue van is a little poorly today. Well, yesterday. When at 1600rpm it's lagging and lacking in power. Once you get to 1900rpm it gets going again and pulls through OK.
Initial thoughts are it's potentially a turbo issue, either turbo itself or pipework.

Anyway, called my mate who i bought it from who said "where are you now, bring it over"

So i dropped it at Anchor Vans and he gave me a 68 plate Transit until mine is sorted. I really thought we wouldn't be going racing this weekend. Although it wouldn't have been the end of the world, we've booked it so would be nice to go.

This is a more basic version than mine, without DAB, Cruise, heated seats etc.. but the engine is properly sweet, it really revs quickly and gets a move on... well impressed.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Hopefully just a MAF or MAP sensor that needs a good clean.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:08 am Hopefully just a MAF or MAP sensor that needs a good clean.
Well we'll find out of course how good or bad the warranty is now. My mate changed it from the 1 year cover i was buying to Lifetime for me. But whether it'll cover it, or not, is anyones guess.. But i'm pretty sure he'll fight my corner for me either way :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

The laptop is listening to me, I read your comment and then just casually reminded my wife of how much we enjoyed driving our old Transit van.
Then logged into FB and this was the first advert that came up - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315008626609 ... jW0xzYpnHI
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 am The laptop is listening to me, I read your comment and then just casually reminded my wife of how much we enjoyed driving our old Transit van.
Then logged into FB and this was the first advert that came up - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315008626609 ... jW0xzYpnHI
Have you bought it?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My wife used to love driving my old Mk6, she had a company Passat, but always took the rusty old transit for personal trips.

TBF is was fun to drive, sat up high in a rusty white panel van, people just got out of your way, it was only 75bhp and didn't have ABS, you could get all four wheels locked up if you brakes hard enough, brilliant fun. I bet it's rusted away to nothing by now.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:37 am
Have you bought it?
No, we don't need a van atm.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Egr valve, covered on warranty. Part in tomorrow. Let's hope that's the fix
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Sorted. Part arrived, fitted and van back home with me.... drives perfectly again.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Went in for service today. I was slightly worried about it seeming a bit noisier than when I bought it 30,000 ago.

Apparently it needs a thermostat and possibly some injector stuff. May even be new injectors but won't know yet.

We'll see what's covered on warranty

:shock:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm Went in for service today. I was slightly worried about it seeming a bit noisier than when I bought it 30,000 ago.

Apparently it needs a thermostat and possibly some injector stuff. May even be new injectors but won't know yet.

Fingers crossed it doesn't need major work and the warranty covers it

Mine is similar (2017, about 70k miles, 2 litre diesel). I'm hoping these are not common faults!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm Went in for service today. I was slightly worried about it seeming a bit noisier than when I bought it 30,000 ago.

You've done 30k in it! :shock: Didnt think you'd had it that long but I guess you're all over with your lads racing? Hope its a cheap fix anyway. :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I get the impression the injector issues can and do happen and you'll know if you're paying attention by the engine noise.

A decent Transit shouldn't really be any noisier than a normal diesel. Mine started sounding a bit noisy at 30mph, but you may only notice it if you've had it quieter in the past. The term if 'diesel knock' which is a sign that an injector may need attention.

So they had it in for diagnosis and found some sort of thermostat issue, but they need to sort that before getting to the injectors (i think).

At the end of the day i've put 30,000 on it in 17 months, so it's getting a decent workout and as with everything may need some TLC.

I'm very lucky that my mate owns the company so i get slightly preferential treatment, in this case, lifetime warranty and them arguing my corner stronger than for others potentially, along with a loan van which i collected this morning (although no DAB !!!)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

You've done 30k in it! :shock: Didnt think you'd had it that long but I guess you're all over with your lads racing? Hope its a cheap fix anyway. :thumbup:
Yup, you can't grasp how much we drive :D lol. It's a chunk. We're in the van a lot. People think we're bonkers as we do things like a 2.5 hour drive to ride for 2 hours, then 2.5 hours back... But it's all part of the process of coaching, learning, skills and plans for the boy... So we put in the time, effort and of course money.

The worst part is, i very rarely drive the van anywhere that isn't MTB related, i don't often go anywhere without the bikes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Thoughts are that the Thermostat and Fuel Filter have resolved whatever issue they found, so it'll get a service today and should be done and dusted. The warranty will cover those bits but obviously not the servicing costs.

It'll be off to North Wales this weekend as usual for a day practice. It'll be nice to get all the stuff out of the garage again, it's packed with stuff that usually lives in the van.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 am Thoughts are that the Thermostat and Fuel Filter have resolved whatever issue they found, so it'll get a service today and should be done and dusted. The warranty will cover those bits but obviously not the servicing costs.

It'll be off to North Wales this weekend as usual for a day practice. It'll be nice to get all the stuff out of the garage again, it's packed with stuff that usually lives in the van.
Result if it was a fuel filter as injectors can get a bit spendy! :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 am Thoughts are that the Thermostat and Fuel Filter have resolved whatever issue they found, so it'll get a service today and should be done and dusted. The warranty will cover those bits but obviously not the servicing costs.

Result if it was a fuel filter as injectors can get a bit spendy! :thumbup:
Well the injectors would be covered on the warranty anyway, so even if it's them it's not the end of the world for me. But in truth, whatever it costs is what it costs, we don't have a lot of choice in the matter as we really need a van :D

But yeah i'm hopeful that by the end of the day it's all done and i come out with a bill that isn't too spendy.

Ideally we need this one to last another 18months and then if things all fall into place we'll be getting something newer and bigger/better.