Christmas 2023 - what plans do you have?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Christmas 2023 - what plans do you have?

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:31 am
Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:19 am But yeah, I've had a lovely few days with family and this ultimately is more satisfying in terms of happiness than any new car or trinket.
Can i have one of your motorbikes then ?
I only have two and I don't think you'd like either one, there is an 80's two-stroke and a 1936 500cc single, neither are easy to ride and I reckon you'd get less than a mile before you gave them back :lol:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:19 am
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:54 am
I feel like I've just read a condensed version of A Christmas Carol :lol:
Not far off :lol:

I think it's a reasonably common story, I've spent my whole life hurtling through the days and weeks not really thinking about stuff like that, I was too busy, modern life often demands a lot from us and you can't always fit everything in, the kids have their own key and grab their own snacks when they come in from school, you don't get chance to spend weekends with extended family, etc.

Of course, it's all very well knowing this, but if you have to work long hours to pay the bills then you can only do what you can do.
It's like the volunteer/charity work, it's often the case that you only have the spare time to give to others once you've satisfied your own needs.

But yeah, I've had a lovely few days with family and this ultimately is more satisfying in terms of happiness than any new car or trinket.
While I jest, I totally agree and have had a big smile while reading these posts. In a fast paced world where everyone is leading their own best life it's nice to have a day when we're forced to sit down together and feast. I love it for that reason and that reason only.

I found out only recently that when our US cousins are having Thanks Giving dinner they go around the table and everyone has to state something that they are pleased about for that year. And while I hate the idea of adopting anything of theirs, least of all a tradition, it seems like something that would be good for the soul so it's a shame that we don't ever do it. We just wear silly hats and tell cracker jokes.
Lockdown refugee
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

My Christmas will be the same as it's been for the best part of the last two decades :)

Christmas Eve Muz will head off up North to his family (albeit just his dad and aunt now as his mum died last year), and I will go to a mates for dinner.

Christmas Day I'll go over to my parents, go to church with them in the morning (not my bag, but very much theirs), then head back to theirs for roast beef with all the trimmings, followed by no presents - though there's often a chocolate orange and some cheese that makes it's way home with me :), and no booze - my parents don't drink. The three of us then sit around and chat. There's no decorations or cards, just family.
It's the most relaxing day of my entire year, and not too much effort for my mum either as I help (though I do keep offering to do it at my place as they get older).

Boxing Day I head over to theirs again and we have leftovers. They can't walk far these days, so the traditional walk no longer happens, but we sit and chat again. Then I head home in the evening to meet Muz when he gets back.

27th me and Muz do 'our Christmas' - have something nice for dinner and swap a handful of presents.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:25 am I suspect there will be nine of us sat around my dining room table....
Did I say nine?

Apparently it's eleven. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!