Qatar MotoGP

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Re: Qatar MotoGP

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 pm I wouldn't be surprised if there was some element of remote control/back door embedded in the Ducati electronics/firmware. Whether that would ever be used by an 'interested' party is open to conjecture. It was curious that Jorge had no problems in the sprint race, but had major grip issues on Sunday. That could be down a duff tyre, but could equally well be down to dodgy setup.
If that was ever proved, the 3 satellite teams would instantly dump them.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If it did exist, it would be buried way deep. I'm not saying there is such a thing, but there are enough back doors in commercial software for it to be a possibility.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:53 pm If it did exist, it would be buried way deep. I'm not saying there is such a thing, but there are enough back doors in commercial software for it to be a possibility.
A decent tech would spot the results.
Everything is logged.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 pm It was curious that Jorge had no problems in the sprint race, but had major grip issues on Sunday. That could be down a duff tyre, but could equally well be down to dodgy setup.
He had the same issues during practice, Michelin must have sabotaged a whole batch just for him. He spent all the practice sessions with the hump and the same grip issues as the race, every time he tried a practice start it was the same as the race start. The only time things went his way was in the sprint race.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:09 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:53 pm If it did exist, it would be buried way deep. I'm not saying there is such a thing, but there are enough back doors in commercial software for it to be a possibility.
Everything is logged.
Disagree. Technicians are experts in their own particular fields, be it suspension, ignition, fuelling, etc. They don't have the knowledge to go digging down into machine code or assembler programming. Anyway, there's no way the existence of such a thing can be proved or disproved.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:19 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 pm It was curious that Jorge had no problems in the sprint race, but had major grip issues on Sunday. That could be down a duff tyre, but could equally well be down to dodgy setup.
He had the same issues during practice, Michelin must have sabotaged a whole batch just for him. He spent all the practice sessions with the hump and the same grip issues as the race, every time he tried a practice start it was the same as the race start. The only time things went his way was in the sprint race.
Yeah, I'm not really buying the duff tyre argument.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:38 pm
Everything is logged.
Disagree. Technicians are experts in their own particular fields, be it suspension, ignition, fuelling, etc. They don't have the knowledge to go digging down into machine code or assembler programming. Anyway, there's no way the existence of such a thing can be proved or disproved.
They can check the data from previous races and compare the performances
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:40 pm

Everything is logged.
They can check the data from previous races and compare the performances
They can also cross-reference data from all the other Ducatis, as everyone has access to everyone else's data.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Everything is logged.
So who are you thinking would have had the knowledge to do this? And when?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:50 pm

Everything is logged.
So who are you thinking would have had the knowledge to do this? And when?
If there was a back door it would be there already, baked into the firmware. But I was just throwing a bit of conspiracy theory out there; I can only imagine the ruckus if such a thing did exist and was ever discovered. I tend more to the cock-up theory rather than conspiracy - far more likely someone got a TC setting wrong than any kind of enemy action.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Geoff at Hilltop could definitely do it, remotely through the optimate lead- FACT! :thumbup:
crust

Post by crust »

Except it's not Ducati's firmware. All the bikes use a standard ECU.

Oh wait a minute, the ECU is made by Magneti Marelli who must have secretly hidden the back door software on Ducati's orders, as they're both Italian teams. :crazy:

Alternatively, it could just be a duff tyre or not getting the set up right, or he could have just choked.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Since seeing the video and reading about the fine and six starting grid places for Aleix Espargaro, I've seen quite a lot from Morbidelli about how Espargaro often behaves badly - but I don't remember seeing anything big?

I know I don't watch like you guys do, but is he really that bad??
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Noggin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:18 pm Since seeing the video and reading about the fine and six starting grid places for Aleix Espargaro, I've seen quite a lot from Morbidelli about how Espargaro often behaves badly - but I don't remember seeing anything big?

I know I don't watch like you guys do, but is he really that bad??
His ego makes VR46 look shy and retiring!
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

crust wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:38 pm or he could have just choked.
My best guess is whatever sequence of buttons that had to be pressed, weren't!
Hence the lack of launch control.
Good skills with the recovery though, mere mortals would have been sky ground fuck! But it did mess with his head for the rest of the race, or possibly he cooked the tyre at the launch and screwed his race.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The commentators always say that Aleix 'wears his heart on his sleeve', which is code for he operates off a short fuse and is prone to over-reacting and outbursts of anger. He's got a contract for next year but I think 2025 will see him demoted to test rider.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When JM came down pit lane, he was gesturing that the rear had been spinning. Obviously a bit pissed off.