The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:52 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:52 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 pm Noggs, if you want a light roast, more than happy to do that for you. The only issue, is shipping to foreign countries might be cost prohibitive. PM me your address and I'll see what shipping is like...
Thank you, I will do, but won't be home for ?? months, so will wait till I'm back and can try it!!

Address is in Plagne Centre, La Plagne Tarentaise, 73210 The one I tried was expensive but I had highh hopes of it

Equally, good chance some friends will be coming out for the season so could post to them in the uk - I'm aiming to be home before December. Hoping my arm agrees!!!
Shipping to you would cost £9.61 - I think. :shock:
Yup, sounds about right!

When I know when I'm getting out of here, I'll see if someone is coming over near the right time and use a UK address! Thanx for checking :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Docca

Post by Docca »

I'm happy to pay for Smixxys shipping ( for coffee, not her)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: There has been a trend for over roasted, this comes from places like Starbucks and worst still Nero's who both buy reet crap beans and over roast them to hide it, imho it's not even passable swamped with milk.
I'm no aficionado, but totally agree about Nero's, definite burnt taste.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Docca

Post by Docca »

My order arrived today. Fired up a go on 'Holly's Blend'

Delicious. Absolutely delicious.

I've had a tough day but will definitely be cancelling my dog and hat subscription and picking up a subscription with Waveney Valley.

Happy for me to recommend on Facebook?
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Docca wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:58 pm My order arrived today. Fired up a go on 'Holly's Blend'

Delicious. Absolutely delicious.

I've had a tough day but will definitely be cancelling my dog and hat subscription and picking up a subscription with Waveney Valley.

Happy for me to recommend on Facebook?
Well that's as good a result as it gets. Thanks, and yes, feel free to tell the world :D

Really pleased you guys are enjoying it, along with the regulars we already had from the other place, it seems we are on the right track with our coffee. We do put a lot of effort into this, so it really is pleasing to hear people enjoying the results. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Gareth Hunt would be a convert.

(Only old guffers will get that reference)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Docca wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:25 pm I'm happy to pay for Smixxys shipping ( for coffee, not her)
Aww that's really kind of you xxx I can't order for a few months as still in rehab. But I'll chat coffee and see if Wreckless Rat can help me find one I like to drink (and not just smell!!!) when I'm allowed home permanently :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Oi Wratty,

I recommended your beans to a fellow aficionado at work and he tells me he's just ordered some. You are now officially complicit in the capitalist destruction of society by the evil cabal of bankers and financiers. In fact, the caffeine may just speed up the downfall of this country...

Ps. Now on the Costa Rica beans. Nice.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Just wondering if everyone was happy with their orders?

What did you think to the roasts? We don't murder the beans, and hope that people can actually taste the benefit of avoiding this all too common practice...
Docca

Post by Docca »

I pimped you on Facebook (feel free to connect- we have mutual friends).

I'm loving it. I have purchased 4 250g kilner jars that i've decanted the beans into. I've cut the labels from the packets and placed them in the jars.

My wife loves it too.

Exceptional coffee.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

That's fantastic news. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm Just wondering if everyone was happy with their orders?

What did you think to the roasts? We don't murder the beans, and hope that people can actually taste the benefit of avoiding this all too common practice...
Other than the fact that I ordered 'House Roast' instead of 'Holly's Roast', it's all good. :thumbup:

I'll be back for more.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

:shock:

That's a tad embarrassing... Holly's is the better blend (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) :think:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'll be sticking an order in soon. Got some Ethiopian coffee and the last of my Lavazza to use up and then will get ordering. Both of us are working from home at the moment so reckon we are getting through a kilo a month at the moment so about perfect. I miss having a coffee trader in the office above us, used to get the odd cracking sample. Best coffee I ever had was from there and worse thing was I couldn't get anymore of it was their sample was used up
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:51 pm the last of my Lavazza
I had a bag of Lavazza (still got the dregs of it) and used it to compare with Wratty's. I like a lighter roast and the difference in look, aroma and, most importantly, taste, was overwhelming. Less overly roasted bitterness, more complex, lighter floral notes.

Gremlin. Unbelievably handsome and rugged brand ambassador to Waveney Valley Coffee.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:51 pm the last of my Lavazza
I had a bag of Lavazza (still got the dregs of it) and used it to compare with Wratty's. I like a lighter roast and the difference in look, aroma and, most importantly, taste, was overwhelming. Less overly roasted bitterness, more complex, lighter floral notes.

Gremlin. Unbelievably handsome and rugged brand ambassador to Waveney Valley Coffee.
I'm pleased people are getting it, there was a time where the trend was for under-roasted, then it flipped to what people perceive as the deep French or darker still the Italian roast, mostly, it's been taken too far - hence the deep bitterness. It also lacks caffeine, the darker you roast, the more you drive off. There are some beans that can take a deeper roast, and we can and do roast some deeper, if people want. Generally, a mid, to mid/dark is where the best flavour is found, without the harsh bitterness that comes with just about setting fire to the beans (yes it does happen to - roaster fires are not uncommon and a bit of a fucker - they can destroy your roaster)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:57 pm they can destroy your roaster
Yeah, but you only pay him minimum wage and there's always someone else willing to take the job. :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Yeah, but you only pay him minimum wage and there's always someone else willing to take the job. :D
Don't worry; give him 20 minutes and he'll have a new product web site: "coffee flavoured BBQ & smoker charcoal" :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Pay him..... :?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:57 pm
I'm pleased people are getting it, there was a time where the trend was for under-roasted, then it flipped to what people perceive as the deep French or darker still the Italian roast, mostly, it's been taken too far - hence the deep bitterness. It also lacks caffeine, the darker you roast, the more you drive off. There are some beans that can take a deeper roast, and we can and do roast some deeper, if people want. Generally, a mid, to mid/dark is where the best flavour is found, without the harsh bitterness that comes with just about setting fire to the beans (yes it does happen to - roaster fires are not uncommon and a bit of a fucker - they can destroy your roaster)
I'm loving reading this thread and the info about how and why the flavour/bitterness happens. Makes me really keen to try some from you when I get home. Have always loved the sell of coffee but it's always been too bitter for me to drink!! Especially here :roll: