Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Food that everyone else raves about, but you just can't stomach.

Post by Jody »

McDonalds- Nasty shit, badly prepped. You know it's bad for you, so you call it a teat, but it's not even nice.

KFC- On the rare occasion, that the chicken is cooked fresh and not hot held, It's not bad. The last 5 times I went, I was given stale food.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Another one for shellfish. Just about everyone I know loves shellfish and to be honest there are some tasty examples in this part of the world but I never eat shellfish.

Fish? Yep, I eat plenty of fish, cockles, winkles and mussels? no problem.

But not shellfish though. I get a very serious reaction in my stomach/abdomen which shows up as very painful spasms that have a 20 minute ish cycle and last all night. It's been a long time since it has happened and as I'm considerably older now I think I'd be looking for an ambulance and a trip to hospital if I do happen to eat any. I really can't stomach shellfish.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Some right old fannies on here :D

I like food and am up for trying pretty much anything, not much I can say I don't like!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 pm I love a Lambs Liver with Bacon and Onions with Gravy and some proper Mash pots! - A must in any proper west country establishment!

Chickens hearts are pretty tasty - Chickens Livers however are horrible - maybe this is why a lot of people don't like liver and onions as sometimes pubs cheap out on chicken livers!
You'd know if you had been served chicken liver instead of veal/lamb. They're tiny! I suspect the reason many people say they don't like

Chicken liver parfait is lovely and piss easy to make.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:50 am Some right old fannies on here :D

I like food and am up for trying pretty much anything, not much I can say I don't like!
Pah. Get through a plate of surströmming and then come back and call me a fanny. :P

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

It was as rank as it sounds, and fuck me, the stench..... :sick:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:19 am
v8-powered wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:50 am Some right old fannies on here :D

Pah. Get through a plate of surströmming and then come back and call me a fanny. :P

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

It was as rank as it sounds, and fuck me, the stench..... :sick:
Tried something similar in Iceland (the country, not the poverty frozen food store!) a few years back. Didn't smell too healthy but tasted OK, that was some kind of fish but wasn't tinned.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sprouts. Vile and disgusting things!!

Beans. I can and do eat them now, but only since recently. It's the texture. Just can't deal with the texture when I chew them. And hot baked beans :sick: My mother used to get really pissy when I asked for them cold as there was less texture and I could swallow them whole!! LOL

Weirdly, chickpeas are really bad for me to eat (same reason) and we used to serve chickpea mash in the chalet one season. BUT, I like hummus. So it's not the flavour, it's definitely the texture :sick: :sick:

Most things I'll try and there's very little I won't eat. TBF, I'll even eat a sprout if forced. But they are disgusting!! :lol:

Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 pm I love a Lambs Liver with Bacon and Onions with Gravy and some proper Mash pots! - A must in any proper west country establishment!

Chickens hearts are pretty tasty - Chickens Livers however are horrible - maybe this is why a lot of people don't like liver and onions as sometimes pubs cheap out on chicken livers!
Most people don't like liver and onions because they've never had liver cooked well! I hated liver as it was always cooked until dry and crumbly when I was a kid, even gravy couldn't make that better. But as an adult someone served me liver that was moist and definitely not crumbly and it was really nice!! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I have memories of my mum cooking liver and bacon, using her very modern eye-level grill in our old flat in Greenwich, for about 10 minutes a side, until you could resole your work shoes with it. Dry and flavourless, it demanded chewing for ages and left a powdery residue in your mouth. The mash wasn't much better and the gravy was Bisto and water. :sick:

Her favourite saying at mealtimes was, 'You kids don't know what's good for you'. To this day I know it ain't over-cooked liver. :lol:

In contrast, I had liver and pancetta served to me at Theo Randall's the other week. It was bloody (literally!) lovely.
Skub

Post by Skub »

MacDonald 'food' of any kind. It would need to be a matter of life or death before I'd eat that gunk. It smells like deep fried,wet cardboard,but tastes much worse. I've only ever tried once,took one bite and threw it in the bin. Hunger was preferable.

Add baked beanz and tomato sauce to that list.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

tinned sweetcorn - the smell :sick:

Corn on the cob no problem, lovely with lots of butter :wub: but open a tin of sweetcorn near me and I won't be eating that evening.

Oh and you can keep andouillettes the fuck away from me too why would anyone want to eat a shit pipe :wtf:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

If I'm in a Italian restaurant I always look for calves liver on the specials board as it soften on there in a decent gaff. Tis lush!

I'll eat almost anything, but would prefer fish to meat in most cases. Kebabs are my dirty secret! :D Up until yesterday I used to say I wouldn't eat a macdonalds if it was free and have passed on it even when buying it for others. But, yesterday I had one on the M27 and it wasn't as bad as I remember them being?Cant see me being a regular buyer of them but I can no longer say I don't eat them.

Oysters are the one thing I can't abide. Poached ones are better than raw ones, but still awful. Must be 20 years since my last one so maybe i'll try them again some day...
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 pm Oysters are the one thing I can't abide. Poached ones are better than raw ones, but still awful. Must be 20 years since my last one so maybe i'll try them again some day...
Mersea Island speciality, get your arse down there and try.....
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:15 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 pm Oysters are the one thing I can't abide. Poached ones are better than raw ones, but still awful. Must be 20 years since my last one so maybe i'll try them again some day...
Whitstable too. I had them in The Sportsman down in Seasalter, when I took Mrs. G for a romantic lunch. As it's just down the road we took a lovely stroll back to Whitstable along the coastal path, whereupon I farted and shat myself. Again. :oops:

Bloody shellfish! :thumbdown:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:30 pm
v8-powered wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:15 pm
Whitstable too. I had them in The Sportsman down in Seasalter, when I took Mrs. G for a romantic lunch. As it's just down the road we took a lovely stroll back to Whitstable along the coastal path, whereupon I farted and shat myself. Again. :oops:

Bloody shellfish! :thumbdown:
Genuine LOL! :lol: :clap:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 pm If I'm in a Italian restaurant I always look for calves liver on the specials board as it soften on there in a decent gaff. Tis lush!

I'll eat almost anything, but would prefer fish to meat in most cases. Kebabs are my dirty secret! :D Up until yesterday I used to say I wouldn't eat a macdonalds if it was free and have passed on it even when buying it for others. But, yesterday I had one on the M27 and it wasn't as bad as I remember them being?Cant see me being a regular buyer of them but I can no longer say I don't eat them.

Oysters are the one thing I can't abide. Poached ones are better than raw ones, but still awful. Must be 20 years since my last one so maybe i'll try them again some day...
The hating McDonald's thing always seems a bit snobbish to me, vegan lite maybe.
Their food is reasonable and a big thing for me is it's usually clean which is very different to every time I've tried KFC. McD is not usually my first choice but it fills a hole and doesn't leave me feeling dirty.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:38 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 pm If I'm in a Italian restaurant I always look for calves liver on the specials board as it soften on there in a decent gaff. Tis lush!

The hating McDonald's thing always seems a bit snobbish to me, vegan lite maybe.
Their food is reasonable and a big thing for me is it's usually clean which is very different to every time I've tried KFC. McD is not usually my first choice but it fills a hole and doesn't leave me feeling dirty.
Nowt to do with snobbery and everything to do with taste and food quality. A bun that was almost polystyrene like, grey tasteless meat and limp lettuce etc accompanied by over salted chips. I just thought it was a really shit meal regardless of price.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Same, taste and quality. I don't find it reasonable at all, Mc Donalds is overpriced for what it is. What they sell used to be about £3 which is the price for what it is, now you'll spend nearly £10 on a tiny cardboard burger and fries and probably come down with the shits later.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I love the snobbery around MaccyDees - having worked with then for 6 years they offer what they offer. A consistent offering around the world at a reasonable price.
There was certain joy in leaving the food minefield on Shanghai, and having a Big Mac before flying home.
Food quality is actually very good - certainly better than the average takeaway is you local area. Food hygiene , traceability , storage etc are all top notch. There is a maximum holding time of all products - so you will never get something days old.

There maybe a difference in owner operator stores and franchise stores - it it is closely policed. That said the one on the M42 toll road services southbound ( who will be run by one of the big leisure industry companies) is awful.

As for getting the shits from the, I would suggest maybe you wash your hands better next time!...
People are really keen to blame food service outlets for gut maladies. Most of the time it is your own personal hygiene , or that of your kitchen / storage / leaving out takeaway food at ambient then eating next day that will cause your pebble dashing trips
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 am I love the snobbery around MaccyDees - having worked with then for 6 years they offer what they offer. A consistent offering around the world at a reasonable price.
There was certain joy in leaving the food minefield on Shanghai, and having a Big Mac before flying home.
Food quality is actually very good - certainly better than the average takeaway is you local area. Food hygiene , traceability , storage etc are all top notch. There is a maximum holding time of all products - so you will never get something days old.

There maybe a difference in owner operator stores and franchise stores - it it is closely policed. That said the one on the M42 toll road services southbound ( who will be run by one of the big leisure industry companies) is awful.

As for getting the shits from the, I would suggest maybe you wash your hands better next time!...
People are really keen to blame food service outlets for gut maladies. Most of the time it is your own personal hygiene , or that of your kitchen / storage / leaving out takeaway food at ambient then eating next day that will cause your pebble dashing trips
My 17 year old son has just started working at McDonalds, he's cooking burgers, his food hygiene training was a 5 minute chat with the manager, he's not keen on his new nickname "Spongebob"
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus...who's raving about Maccy Ds? :lol:

I've never had the shits from them and the food is always hot and conveniently located. I don't expect much else.