Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Current affairs, Politics, News.

Should America restrict gun use?

Yes
21%
No
21%
Also yes because for fucks sake
46%
I live in the redneck territories of Kent and Essex and think we need more guns.
13%

Total votes: 24

Mr. Dazzle

Re: Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They should just ban killing people. Obvious really.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:52 am They should just ban killing people. Obvious really.
Yeah make murdering people illegal.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Cars are designed to be driven and get people from A to B

Drugs are designed to provide a degree of escapism and, if moderates, could be even safer.

Remind me again of the sole purpose of guns, assault or otherwise?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 am Cars are designed to be driven and get people from A to B

Drugs are designed to provide a degree of escapism and, if moderates, could be even safer.

It's the USAs problem! Other countries have taken a stance and gained positive results. Unless the mindset of millions of redneck Americans changes, the mass shootings will carry on. Dysfunctional society, dysfunctional families, dysfunctional religious "tribes", the obsessions with self-entitlement, bugger all moral values, a need to chant "USA, USA, USA, USA' at every opportunity. A system where the mentally unstable can still buy guns as easy as chewing gum. Feeling down on life , hey let's make someone pay for it!
Perhaps the USA could just ban guns for a 5 year period and see what happened to the death rate. They won't, as they will come up with "self defence" reasoning. So the shootings will continue.
As the USA cannot be arsed about the mass slaughter of innocents within its borders, then there is no point in any of us wasting our breath.

Defender of the Free World - my arse
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 am Cars are designed to be driven and get people from A to B

The sole purpose of alcohol is to disrupt the normal functioning of your brain. If you need alcohol to escape from life then you need to make some different decisions.

The sole purpose of guns is to shoot bullets out. They’ll only go where you point them.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Would this include spray guns? I need to know if I will still be able to paint my bike tank next year.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Can you kill people with an assault rifle, or does it just assault them?

Asking for a friend.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Meh, sounds harsh but I got over US mass shootings after one of the ones years back. Their look out, nothing I can do about it. They need to decide if they want guns or dead kids, they seem happy enough for the latter so let them get on with it. I've not even bothered to look at this one in the news, I know it's happened but why do I wanna about it, it'll happen again in a month or 2.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:44 am

The sole purpose of alcohol is to disrupt the normal functioning of your brain. If you need alcohol to escape from life then you need to make some different decisions.

The sole purpose of guns is to shoot bullets out. They’ll only go where you point them.
That's a bit steep coming from an ex heroin addict!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:16 am
Lol.
I like you Greenie, but you chat some shite.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:25 am
Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:16 am
Lol.
I like you Greenie, but you chat some shite.
You reap what you sow innit. You used to boast about your heroin use, was it all a lie?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I would think in Alaska many people consider a rifle a more essential tool than a car and shooting people won't factor into it.
Many people have an unhealthy obsession with guns, they are glorified and give angry people a feeling of power. Most countries restrict ownership but it's a bit late for that in the States so a multi disciplinary approach is probably required, they managed it with tabacco so it can be done but only if it has enough public support.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:26 am
You reap what you sow innit. You used to boast about your heroin use, was it all a lie?
Lets run with it then, so if I was, but don’t do it any more, then I’d still claim the moral high ground arguing substance misuse with a bloke that has a current substance misuse problem whilst he works in schools.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:35 am
Lets run with it then, so if I was, but don’t do it any more, then I’d still claim the moral high ground arguing substance misuse with a bloke that has a current substance misuse problem whilst he works in schools.
Indeed, i'm not hiding it, it's just weed innit, plus i am not putting other people down for using alcohol, which imo is a lot worse than weed.

I just thought putting people down who use alcohol was a bit rich coming from someone who used to use class A's, stop calling the kettle black and all that!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am
Indeed, i'm not hiding it, it's just weed innit, plus i am not putting other people down for using alcohol, which imo is a lot worse than weed.

I just thought putting people down who use alcohol was a bit rich coming from someone who used to use class A's, stop calling the kettle black and all that!
Take Price's advice :-

Hurricane Annie ripped the ceiling of a church and killed everyone inside
You turn on the telly and every other story is tellin' you somebody died
A sister killed her baby 'cause she couldn't afford to feed it
And yet we're sending people to the moon
In September, my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June, unh

It's March - just saying
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:21 am

Take Price's advice :-

Hurricane Annie ripped the ceiling of a church and killed everyone inside
You turn on the telly and every other story is tellin' you somebody died
A sister killed her baby 'cause she couldn't afford to feed it
And yet we're sending people to the moon
In September, my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June, unh
You on the class A's as well...;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

I’m doing it for effect.

Arguing to ban guns or alcohol from decent law abiding people is ridiculous, not doable and insulting.

I was hoping that by using alcohol as the protagonist you’d see the absurdity, but perhaps it was too abstract.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:15 am Meh, sounds harsh but I got over US mass shootings after one of the ones years back. Their look out, nothing I can do about it. They need to decide if they want guns or dead kids, they seem happy enough for the latter so let them get on with it. I've not even bothered to look at this one in the news, I know it's happened but why do I wanna about it, it'll happen again in a month or 2.
This is how I feel about it now. If they didn't do anything after Sandy Hook, they are never going to do it.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

McNab wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 am
Supermofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:15 am Meh, sounds harsh but I got over US mass shootings after one of the ones years back. Their look out, nothing I can do about it. They need to decide if they want guns or dead kids, they seem happy enough for the latter so let them get on with it. I've not even bothered to look at this one in the news, I know it's happened but why do I wanna about it, it'll happen again in a month or 2.
This is how I feel about it now. If they didn't do anything after Sandy Hook, they are never going to do it.
It will happen again within the next two weeks ... :thumbdown:
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

practically, what could you do which would even make a dent on it. banning certain types of firearm wont make any difference, as above no one can define what assault rifle is. if they banned those, what does that mean - the police/armed forces would go and get them off every single individual that has one? they don't even know who has one. stopping more being sold wont stop anything. there would be massive civil unrest if the police had to go and collect all the guns. maybe even civil war.
most people are shot with a semi automatic hand gun. ban those too? and revolvers? law abiding people would of course hand everything in, and the criminals would have free rein knowing they were not going to get shot as everyone is defenceless
ban assault rifles - dictionary definition is select fire intermediate cartridge. full auto is basically banned anyway, so call it semi auto intermediate cartridges banned. so battle rifles with full power cartridges still ok? what about shotguns? ban those too?
Its too late, the genie is out of the bottle.
there are things that could be done, immediately that might help. insist everyone has a safe to stop kids and nefarious people getting hold of them. its not illegal to leave a loaded gun with a child. background checks to include a medical assessment as per the uk and other countries. interview by local sheriff who might have a better idea than the fbi if this person is a suitable individual.
i suggested to an american colleague once that they could ban leaving a loaded gun in the same room as a child.
https://everytownresearch.org/issue/child-teen-safety/
every year 19000 children are shot and killed /wounded. he called me a communist for even suggesting it. When the situation is so polarised, nothing is going to work is it.