A dram in exchange for the pox...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: A dram in exchange for the pox...

Post by MrLongbeard »

And now 50% off meals at certain establishments on certain days, nah I still think I'll pass for a while yet.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:23 pm And now 50% off meals at certain establishments on certain days, nah I still think I'll pass for a while yet.
Yeah cos £10 off a meal will negate any worries I had about going and is worth the risk lol. Personally I’m done with pins and restaurants till we have more knowledge on covid19. Tbh I’m done with shops too and hotels and flying but I’m happy to do that whereas others aren’t.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looking at the spikes in places such as Serbia and Oz,it paints a vivid picture of what can happen when complacency sets in and everyone believes the virus is under control. Governments are having to balance pissed off citizens who won't tolerate another lockdown and trying to kickstart the economy.I hope safety isn't a victim of either of those things.

This is a long way from being over and since I help to care for my 92 y/o Dad it means I'm going to give any social gatherings a miss for now. I'd hate to kill him for the price of a discounted meal/pissup.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Filly went to Tesco this afternoon.

All of the 'one way' arrows have been peeled off the floor and the gel and trolley wipes have been moved adjacent to where people queue.

Hardly anyone wearing a mask. Distancing replaced by dithering.

So it's officially virus-free, it seems.

Or is that, potentially, free virus?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm Filly went to Tesco this afternoon.

All of the 'one way' arrows have been peeled off the floor and the gel and trolley wipes have been moved adjacent to where people queue.

Shops here still full arrows and distance.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I go to work, go to different customers’ premises, go shopping so yes I’m happy to go out for a sit down meal. Hoping to go for an Indian next week.

I’ll probably give any packed pubs a swerve for a while yet though.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm Filly went to Tesco this afternoon.

Yup - local Tescos here is the same - it's weird - people still queue with big gaps, but are quite happy to wander up right next to you, breathe all over the fruit and veg, and look at you oddly when you move away.

Apart from the young kids I saw who are still wearing masks and shying away from everyone.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am kids
All through this, there have been many families who seem to treat a trip to the supermarket as a family outing where it's essential that they all go :roll:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:46 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am kids
All through this, there have been many families who seem to treat a trip to the supermarket as a family outing where it's essential that they all go :roll:
That just absolutely bemuses me. I understand at time a single parent can't work anohter simple plan, but surely even they could do online home deliver stuff, but when you see 2 parents and 3 kids i just shake my head with despair.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am
Apart from the young kids I saw who are still wearing masks and shying away from everyone.
I do wonder whether there might be long term effects - phobias even - resulting from children learning during this period that other people are potentially infected and thus to be feared and avoided.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:55 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am
I do wonder whether there might be long term effects - phobias even - resulting from children learning during this period that other people are potentially infected and thus to be feared and avoided.
Do you think it's any different from warning kids off people with dodgy desires?
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:44 pm
Do you think it's any different from warning kids off people with dodgy desires?
Well, I don't think we teach them that every adult they meet is a potential paedophile, whereas if in effect they're now being taught that every adult - indeed, every person - might infect them with a potentially lethal virus. So a question of scale and extent.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Equally usefully, Kids might also be taught that it is they who could be infecting with a lethal virus every adult they meet, and teach them at the same time some much needed understanding about putting other people before oneself.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm Shops here still full arrows and distance.
At our local Tesco megahell the one way arrows have gone. I don't miss them, they were largely ignored anyway. People are generally keeping a bit of distance between themselves and others and the shop is restricting numbers so it doesn't get too crowded. But TBH the masks mandate can't come soon enough, fuck knows why they needed to let the mouth breathers wheeze over everybody for another 10 days, or why they think breathing in extended maskless close proximity in workplaces is any safer. It's almost as if they DGAS if people get infected as long as it doesn't hit the profits too much.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Gimlet wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 pm Equally usefully, Kids might also be taught that it is they who could be infecting with a lethal virus every adult they meet, and teach them at the same time some much needed understanding about putting other people before oneself.
Happily the 18-30 segment seems to be attracting much of the resurgence of the virus ATM. Wonder why.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

As long as they keep it to themselves..