New Bike

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Tricky

Re: New Bike

Post by Tricky »

A_morti wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:04 pm I think they're nice looking, and btw fuck em, ride what you like. Whether you keep it long or not is your business.

Unless pads is a known thing, chances are the bybre brakes have the same lack of feel as anything else with bybre brakes and need a smaller master cylinder fitting.

If slave pistons are around 25mm-27mm in diameter, a 1/2" nissin master off a cbr250 (they use it on a ton of 500cc and smaller bikes) might be a good place to start, assuming it clears switchgear etc.
:)
He will and and of course as we well know , will keep it for as long as it holds his interest- anything from hours to, I think over a year with one or two of them, but that's not really the norm...

As for the brakes, my 390 Duke had a Byrbe caliper and MC etc, front brake felt a little wooden and lacked real power as standard so I changed the pads to Bendix MRR and was totally transformed, 2 finger stoppies were possible- the OE standard pads that came out were Brembo LA, which are the long life road ones I think
Having said that, this may not be so relevant for the latest couchy infatuation- the 390 caliper was a full rooting-tooting 4 piston radial jobbie, have a feeling the one on the RE is a lesser spec, possibly sliding caliper type, so maybe add a caliper to that upgrade list couch! ;)

P.s. [mention]Couchy[/mention] - I reckon Yin has the recommendation for your next bike spot on (£££ aside of course)- I think you'd love the 890 , lovely to ride and as a bonus a it's definite Inters winner, (with you on it anyway :D )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

We've already discussed the sliding caliper :) Yes it is on the RE.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

<sticks tongue out> My V7 ii has a four pot Brembo Goldline Caliper (painted black) and never needs more than two fingers.

I've also got 6 more ftlb of torques and 13kg less weight.... and I never need to adjust the chain. </>
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Couchy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm I'm spending far too long around classic bikes and old people and after a brief spin on one of their bikes I've decided to add a pretend old bike to the fleet :D

I didnt even realise what it was, I thought it was a Triumph at first! I like modern classics and loved my Thruxton and was very sad to have to sell it.

REs appear to have really upped their game in recent years. I'm very impressed by the Himalayan and one is on the shortlist should I return to bike owning again and I think one of these may have just made the short list too. Look forward to the ride report. :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

So first long ride today 120 miles. Out with my bro on his new commuter bike a cb500x and step dad on his fazer 800. Both have bigger faster bikes at home but bought these two instead, on my brothers case he’s been loving the cb500x so it was first choice.
The new brake pads have transformed the front brake it now has power and feel and works as it should, the preload front and rear has made the handling better. Wasn’t taking much notice of running in and just using engine as intended. The roads were mainly 50-80 mph so perfect territory for the bike. Engine seemed to loosen up a little and it seems to have a lot of midrange for a 50hp bike. Was certainly quick enough on these roads. Handling was superb, a bit bouncy on the bumpiest of roads but never out of control. Part of the realm for the ride was to swap bikes as both the others wanted a go on the 650. I hopped onto the 500x and although it’s similar weight and power to the 660 it felt gutless and very soft. Needed full revs everywhere. Typical Honda though easy to ride quickly and a nice bike. Next I jumped on the fazer8, gutless till revved then a bit much for the small roads. Handling was awful, wallowy bouncy and wouldn’t turn.

The surprise was the 650 out handled both and the engine was far sweeter with proper midrange. Even more surprising was the other two thought the same, so much so Step dad will swap his bike for one. My bro got off the 650 wanting to do a Trackday on it !.

Me I’m proper happy with it, really enjoyed the ride especially when we had a few minutes of riding as hard as I could and the bike performed great 👍

chillitt

Post by chillitt »

A mates got one and loves it so much he wont let me have a go.. Sounds awesome and looks a well put together thing. People thinking these are the same as the old 350 and 500 heaps are much like the people who keep saying all Jags are Fords now and can be safely ignored.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

chillitt wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 am A mates got one and loves it so much he wont let me have a go.. Sounds awesome and looks a well put together thing. People thinking these are the same as the old 350 and 500 heaps are much like the people who keep saying all Jags are Fords now and can be safely ignored.
I’m well aware of what it is and where it was made. I have no loyalty to any brand and don’t mind if the bike I’ve bought isn’t perfect but, build quality is very good and no worse than any other bike I’ve had and as I said better than a fair few. Longevity I can’t report on yet. Impaired to the two Japanese bikes out today it rode better than both of them and that’s from all 3 riders not just me. The fazer 8 was just rubbish and the suspension not a patch on the enfield. The 500 Honda was good I enjoyed it but the engine lacked midrange. Finish wise the Enfield is better thought out than the Honda and in a different league to the fazer. For riding fun the Enfield and Honda are both good but the Enfield is quicker from a to b.
crust

Post by crust »

With your bike buying history and experience that's serious praise, you've never been one to suffer a flawed bike for more than a day/week so it must be good.

I still want to see pictures of you doing inappropriate things on it, ooer. If it won't get up on one wheel at least a good mountain picture or a proper knee down one, they always make me laugh. You on the Africa twin was well funny.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

crust wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 pm With your bike buying history and experience that's serious praise, you've never been one to suffer a flawed bike for more than a day/week so it must be good.

I still want to see pictures of you doing inappropriate things on it, ooer. If it won't get up on one wheel at least a good mountain picture or a proper knee down one, they always make me laugh. You on the Africa twin was well funny.
Gimme time kneedown will be fine not sure about the wheelies lol
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

That’s better

Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Harry wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 am Is that legal?
Nope 😃

But it does suit the look of the bike better and being rebellious bikers we don’t care what no
Steenking peeg says ;)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

A bit more tinkering then.

The handling is great but could be improved for comfort so, the forks got 9.0 linear springs with 10w oil and the rear got Hagon shocks that are 20mm longer. Bike sits higher but feels loads better even at standstill. Handling Is still great but it’s far better damped now and a lot more controlled.

ImageUntitled by Tony H, on Flickr
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Bit more work on suspension today, dropped 15w oil in the forks to give a little more damping and it’s done the trick. It really does handle well and I can’t wait to try it on track. It’ll never be fast but has enough engine feel to be great fun. Weirdly it’s only 1mm from the edge of the front and 2-3mm on the rear. I’m going to change the 100 front and 130 rear tyres for the next sizes up with a sharper profile as the standard ones are very round.
Then apart from waiting for the exhausts to be made it’s going for first service then being ridden.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I saw a post on Friendface, from a bloke called Tony, of a GT just like yours in front of a stately home, saying it was due it's 6,000 mile service. I though, fuck me, Couchy's racked up the miles quick!

Turns out if was a random post in the Enfield group I'm a member of!

I've been commuting on the V7 this last week, I'd forgotten how much fun 50bhp could be. It's the prefect amount of power to be able to rag the shit out of on the limit and enjoy without braking too many laws and without having to worry about grip and traction. In fact I even enjoyed riding it in the rain!

Still need to do something about the rear shocks tho'
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:54 pm I saw a post on Friendface, from a bloke called Tony, of a GT just like yours in front of a stately home, saying it was due it's 6,000 mile service. I though, fuck me, Couchy's racked up the miles quick!

Turns out if was a random post in the Enfield group I'm a member of!

I've been commuting on the V7 this last week, I'd forgotten how much fun 50bhp could be. It's the prefect amount of power to be able to rag the shit out of on the limit and enjoy without braking too many laws and without having to worry about grip and traction. In fact I even enjoyed riding it in the rain!

Still need to do something about the rear shocks tho'
Lol I’m on 300 miles !

Hagon adjustable shocks about £210 and feel great 👍
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's got Hagon Nitro's on it, but they're 17kg springs and I'm a fat bastard.

Hagon want £160 for new springs, I just need to get my finger out and get them ordered.
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

How fucking much!
Have a word with ktech or faulkner springs.
Methinks hagon are taking the piss!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I might be wrong, I wrote it down somewhere.

It was deffo £1xx.62.

I can remember the 62p bit.

Might have been £120, wasn't cheap and that was for silver springs, the black ones were a tenner more.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Well it’s run in and first service next week. Had a great ride tonight even managed a play with a zx6 I caught and passed.....

One thing I need to sort are tyres, the front is used all the way yet the rear has 5mm left. I’d prefer it the other way so will look into different profiles and maybe sizes. I’m not against chucking 17” rims on tbh as it’s not expensive but I also have some 18” classic race tyres so that’s prob best option
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Wheels out and Dunlop roadsmarts going on tomorrow in prep for Cadwell on Monday. GoPro mounted and I’ll put this and the CB500X in the van and have a laugh riding both, I’m sure they’ll be fine if a little slow 🤣🏆