KTM Question.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Re: KTM Question.

Post by Skub »

mboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:14 pm Whilst in warranty...? Yes... I've had many frustrations during 2yrs of ownership with my 1290 SDGT, but when not having minor issues put right, it was absolutely awesome to ride...

Out of warranty...? An altogether much deeper conversation depending on your circumstances and your requirement for the bike to "just work" or your ability to forgive it sometimes when it doesn't...

Note that I said "was" not is about my SDGT... It was 2yrs old on Tuesday... It got traded in on Saturday, before the 2yr warranty ran out! I have had too many minor issues with it to consider keeping it past that warranty period whilst it's still a depreciating asset.

That said... I'm just putting my 10plate RC8 back on the road. I've had a few niggles with that too, but less than my 2020 SDGT ironically! It also owes me a lot less money, isn't depreciating at all (arguably it's appreciating in value slowly), and with a lot less electronics on it it's easier for the home mechanic to work on too.

It's electronics that are the problems with KTM for some reason... The more electronics it has got, then buy/PCP it new and chop it in before it gets to 2yrs old or risk potential huge bills to put it right... Older bikes with minimal electronics (1090/990/RC8 etc.) then if you're reasonably mechanically adept and don't mind it being a bit more demanding to run than a Japanese inline 4, then crack on... 👍🏻
As an outsider,never having owned a KTM,that's exactly how I see ownership. Personally,not worth the bother aside from a pcp deal.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:09 pm I think they suffer like Ducati do with 'electronics', see @Bigyin last week with his Multi. @scottyuk has had a few electrical gremlins with his 1290GT... but it's rare you see horrific issues with KTMs if you ask me. It's more little niggles
Just two :
Head light main beam wouldn't stay on - fixed with a washer
Exhaust flap - common issue : £36 for an eliminator.

That for four years of all weather abuse and 25k+ miles :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Had a fair few and no issues since my SDR in 07 that had a warranty claim.
Mates new 2019 GSXR1000 caught fire on its 2nd Trackday, known issue that happened on a fair few 😳
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:05 pm Had a fair few and no issues since my SDR in 07 that had a warranty claim.
Mates new 2019 GSXR1000 caught fire on its 2nd Trackday, known issue that happened on a fair few 😳
That's a special feature to keep you and pals warm on a cold day