We are free......

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
millemille

Re: We are free......

Post by millemille »

Bigyin wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm
hilldweller wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 pm Matlock Bath - usual number of bikes for a sunny day. 3 fish n chip shops doing takeaways and two ice cream parlours open.

All bikers behaving very sensibly.

For a nice while, CV19 did not exist.
Aside from being on bikes when we want here is an alternative viewpoint

This is what the locals think of all the individuals on bikes who decided to congregate where all the individuals on bikes usually meet when there isnt a contagious disease that can kill you by drowning in your own lungs

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/l ... 7av0Vzan7Y
The bloke quoted in the article, the walker from Belper, isn't a local. Belper is about 10 miles away, down the A6......
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

There seem to be a lot of people who have themselves decided to visit a place, who then decide to criticise others for wanting to do the same. Not only this walker, which is kind of like pot calling the kettle black.

The BBC interviewed a woman and her daughter on a beach in Devon (or Cornwall) yesterday. They were there as part of a larger family group that also seemed to include grandma. Nothing wrong with that but the mother and daughter were both criticising other people for going to the beach, saying they didn’t realise so many people would go! Then the daughter stated there would be another peak. This is stupid both of the individual and the BBC, spreading uniformed nonsense. Yet the family thought it was OK for them to go out......
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I went down to West Bay yesterday, just to ride the coast road really though it was pretty busy. Felt like a normal Sunday TBH. And the ice cream van was back trading in the layby at the top of Abbotsbury Hill.
There were a few bikes down the bay and I did stop and had a chat with three mates I hadn't seen for a long time (which is why I went, and why I always go - to see my friends). Maybe it was busier earlier on, I don't know, but from what I could see there was no problem. It wasn't packed, people were keeping two metres apart and even the bikes were parked at a reasonable distance, not crammed in like normal. No snack kiosks were open. Yet apparently pictures had been posted on facebook of "bikers congregating" and complaints made to the council. Some bloke circled the bike park area in his car giving everyone a hard stare yet no one seemed to notice all the nice respectable non-biker people mingling together and walking shoulder to shoulder up and down the harbourside.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The definition of 'travel for exercise' has been newsworthy.

A rellie who lives in Cornwall noted the Leicester resident who travelled to Falmouth to go kayaking. Then had to be rescued.

Locally (30 miles from the coast) we had the coastguard helicopter out to winch up a crashed hanglider pilot.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I was out yesterday on the bike and my perception was there's a LOT of bikes out. Most were groups of 1-2 but i saw 2 different groups of 8-10+ bikes.

Worst culprits were 8 sportsbikes all with proper proper loud exhausts... whilst i found it slightly amusing, seeing them pin it out of a 30 (VERY early before the sign) into a 50 which was 80-100... i had to cringe at their noise... 1-2 maybe you're getting away with it, but 8-10 you're just making things worse for everyone.

Trust me, i'm no old fuddy duddy here, i like bikes as much as the next man... but, you can end up making the perception of the public very cloudy.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:04 am The definition of 'travel for exercise' has been newsworthy.
Now see, if that had been what it said last week, i may not have gone out yesterday....But that wasn't how it went.

Well, not in my reading of it anyhow. Hence me going out.
Households are also able to drive to other destinations in England - such as parks and beaches. But they should not travel to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, where people are still being told to avoid any travel which is not essential.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 am I was out yesterday on the bike and my perception was there's a LOT of bikes out. Most were groups of 1-2 but i saw 2 different groups of 8-10+ bikes.

Worst culprits were 8 sportsbikes all with proper proper loud exhausts... whilst i found it slightly amusing, seeing them pin it out of a 30 (VERY early before the sign) into a 50 which was 80-100... i had to cringe at their noise... 1-2 maybe you're getting away with it, but 8-10 you're just making things worse for everyone.

Trust me, i'm no old fuddy duddy here, i like bikes as much as the next man... but, you can end up making the perception of the public very cloudy.
I completely agree. Its sunny Sunday syndrome I'm afraid. It flushes all the idiots out who only ride on such days for an hour or two before the curfew runs out and they have to go home. They seem to think the rest of the world has never seen or heard a motorcycle before and will be impressed. It's embarrassing and annoying for the rest of us.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'll bet that was likely every weekend in summer before CV19 though, so whilst kind of relevant, not completely. Motorbikers crash, so do cars, so do bicycles and even boats :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:07 am
Horse wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:04 am The definition of 'travel for exercise' has been newsworthy.
Now see, if that had been what it said last week, i may not have gone out yesterday....But that wasn't how it went.

Households are also able to drive to other destinations in England - such as parks and beaches. But they should not travel to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, where people are still being told to avoid any travel which is not essential.
Fair cop. I was trying to contrast the Leicester to Cornwall - by any stretch of the interpretation, that's a long way to visit a beach - with the chopper (there were already local fire and ambo there) having to come so far inland for a rescue.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 am

Fair cop. I was trying to contrast the Leicester to Cornwall - by any stretch of the interpretation, that's a long way to visit a beach - with the chopper (there were already local fire and ambo there) having to come so far inland for a rescue.
Absolutely.... But, if the rules say it, people will do it.... It's a tricky one as people will always interpret the rules to their own needs/wants, unless they're exceptionally clear.

I'm OK for a little while now with the KTM, i've had my little play out, had my day of fun, i'll leave it another week now and be happy with that.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Glad to see you’re not entirely infallible then, writing something without checking it out first! :D We all make mistakes sometimes even if we have the best of intentions. :lol:
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

It was a bit weird when we went out and so we didn’t bother yesterday, even though the weather was good and yhe roads are quiet round here. Without any end destination where you can stop safely for a while, stopping at a lay by isn’t really very exciting, it’s only worth going out to give the bike a run. As weeksy said, we’ll probably only be going out once a week for the foreseeable future until a few more open spaces are released to the public again.
Horse

Post by Horse »

WelshDragon wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:37 am

Glad to see you’re not entirely infallible then, writing something without checking it out first! :D We all make mistakes sometimes even if we have the best of intentions. :lol:
Well done for missing the point about how far the person travelled, presumably there were other places much closer where kayaking would have been possible.

However, posted recently by TVP:

Read the "you still must ... " bit ;) Perhaps you need to tell them ;)

And just a question for you, didn't you throw a hissy fit about me being 'picky'? Hmmm sounds like you want to play ... :)
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

I did. You're correct. No I don't wish to play. I like the discourse on here as it is. I hope it stays that way. :)

As for the above, sadly that does contradict other information that's about and as we know the Police haven't always got the guidance correct during this.

Anyway we have no intention of breaching anything. If others choose to do so that's their decision and look out. :(
Last edited by WelshDragon on Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Fair enough :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

millemille wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 am

The bloke quoted in the article, the walker from Belper, isn't a local. Belper is about 10 miles away, down the A6......
I was actually referring to the local newspaper reporting it rather than the bloke giving the quote. But in reference to your point i will bet the walker is a lot more local than probably 95% of the bikes who decided to park up in his local town.

I live on the Norfolk coast and the village usually has a lot of bikes rock up on the car parks near the beaches but this weekend despite having a very high number of bikes go through the village they didnt stop and meet up. I have no issue with those people riding through here and i agree they can go out and ride. I just dont understand the need to park up among a shit load of other bikes.

The chip shops and amusement arcades are closed here which may have helped make it look like a ghost area so they kept on going.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bigyin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:24 am I just dont understand the need to park up among a shit load of other bikes.
To see friend/s they've not seen for 8 weeks ? I stopped at a petrol station to meet GP yesterday ? Whilst not exactly a tourist attraction/haunt, it's not any different is it ?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:30 am
Bigyin wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:24 am I just dont understand the need to park up among a shit load of other bikes.
To see friend/s they've not seen for 8 weeks ? I stopped at a petrol station to meet GP yesterday ? Whilst not exactly a tourist attraction/haunt, it's not any different is it ?
Completely different and surprised you cant see blatantly different it is ...... you met up with a mate you havent seen in ages ..... 1 person. You didnt ride to another part of the country which is a well known "bike meet" and park up with 200 others and walk about up and down a street.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Skub wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:28 pm
It's difficult to find companions who ride the way you ride on any given spur of the moment,plus bikes never were about the social thing for me anyway.
Yes, I'm a grumpy antisocial old git too :)