What's the bike your history says you should have owned, but haven't....

Anything you like about motorbikes
dern

Re: What's the bike your history says you should have owned, but haven't....

Post by dern »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:55 pm
dern wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 pm They looked and sounded epic and I profoundly regret not buying one, blowing it up and having an expensive repair bill.
EFA
I've had three rx8s and an rx7 turbo engined kit car... completely unfazed by such scare mongering (that turns out to be entirely accurate).
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

During my maxi scoot phase I was tempted by a Silver Wing, Burgman 650 and perhaps the Gilera GP 800. Instead I bought a TMax 500.
During my big tourer phase it could have been an R1200RT but ended up being a Pan ST1300.
During my (unfinished) mid-weight, road-going adventure style bike phase it could have been a Versys, VStrom, Crossrunner, Himalayan, Tenere, V85TT but was an NC700X and now is a Tracer 700.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

dern wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:50 pm My local bike shop started selling these in 98 (or thereabouts)...

They looked and sounded epic and I profoundly regret not buying one.
A mate bought one or some similar laverda of that era, if he ever tried to buy consumables (sprockets/battery etc) he'd find they were one offs & virtually unobtainable, so I'm pretty sure you'd have regretted buying one fairly soon.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:13 pm The only big trail bikes I've owned were a Caponord and a V-Strom, both of which were pretty flawed.
Curious, how was the Capo flawed?
Mine was one of the original ones. It wasn't a terrible bike. But it had issues, the failing 'brown connectors' (to the reg/rec from memory), the front suspension was a bit nesh, disappointing areas of corrosion and mine had some major electrical issues. I think there were more but it was a long time ago. I know they had a following and were not terrible bikes. Mine was certainly better IMO than the V-Strom 1000 for example. But I couldn't recommend buying one.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Probably a Guzzi Quota. I love the big block V tiwn and it's a size that suits me but there's never been one at the right time.

That said, the reviews aren't good.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

cheb wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:13 pm Probably a Guzzi Quota. I love the big block V tiwn and it's a size that suits me but there's never been one at the right time.

That said, the reviews aren't good.
Forget the reviews, I think someone said the press was all lies and product placement. ;)
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
cheb

Post by cheb »

It/they are, but I got mine from an insider off the record. Nudge , nudge, wink wink.
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:41 am History would dictate I REALLY should have owned a KTM 990SM.

I'm not actually even sure why i've not... But it's somewhat surprising to me.
If you want to buy a 950SM (and they are a laugh) I'd sell you mine and buy one of these...

...another bike I nearly considered buying and wish I had.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

All the big Z's point at the H2r but still over the top for me so far
tricol

Post by tricol »

Well despite being a new biker these days, I did take lessons towards taking my test back in 2003/4. I'd been riding scooters, commuting mainly and decided I wanted to take my test. I put a deposit down on a brand new SV650S in blue, which unfortunately never came to fruition. I had delays in getting a test date and ended up getting a car. I really regret not holding out for my test at the time. Would could have been....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

tricol wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:13 pm Well despite being a new biker these days, I did take lessons towards taking my test back in 2003/4. I'd been riding scooters, commuting mainly and decided I wanted to take my test. I put a deposit down on a brand new SV650S in blue, which unfortunately never came to fruition. I had delays in getting a test date and ended up getting a car. I really regret not holding out for my test at the time. Would could have been....
You're making up for lost time now
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

I should have got rid of the gpz305 and got an sv650 but it left me stranded on the before I could get rid of it, after that so many could have beens, Laverda Ghost 650, Original Monster, but losing power in rush hour in the outside lane of the M6 nr Warrington caused 15 years of bikelessness
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900