Your trip around the world - which bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Your trip around the world - which bike?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:07 pm We won't know the answer for a while but I wonder how many 30+ year old bikes are still running and how many 2020s bikes will be running in 30 years time? (Ignoring stuff like phasing out ICE). I'd guess most bikes die due to lack of spares and difficulty/cost of repair and that comes with increased complexity. Probably another thread though.
Wake me up in 30 years when we get round to the new thread ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

For me, Royal Enfield Himalayan. Simple enough for any 3rd world mechanic to sort. Spares are easy to get as long as companies ship where you get stuck.

Never had an issue with mine, and though its not brilliant on motorways, you don't have to ride it on any. Its much better on back lanes and gravel roads. Beats a DR350 into a cocked hat.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Any modern adventure bike with a bit of poke (so the Himalayan is out) and that isn't huge. Probably something from the BMW range. I sat on a GS1250 this year that I could actually reach the ground on and I have ridden an Africa Twin so the world is my oyster if only I had the annual leave :P
Lockdown refugee
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Whysub wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:12 pm For me, Royal Enfield Himalayan. Simple enough for any 3rd world mechanic to sort. Spares are easy to get as long as companies ship where you get stuck.

Never had an issue with mine, and though its not brilliant on motorways, you don't have to ride it on any. Its much better on back lanes and gravel roads. Beats a DR350 into a cocked hat.
That was my first thought, i saw one in a stealers last week. A lot of bike for the £4300 they wanted for it (brand new).
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I park next to a Himalayan at work sometimes. Engine sounds hideously rattly?? Are they supposed to sound like that?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Some of the Indian home market Himys had problems with the front ends snapping off due to constantly being ridden on rubbish roads.

It's also common for the frames on the Bullets to rust through/snap just under the left hand lower engine mount, again due to rough roads.

It just doesn't happen to the UK bikes as the roads here are better (unbelievable, I know). Saying that. I know that woman from Belgium (I think?) did a RTW trip on a Himy without much fuss.

EDIT:

Itchy Boots innit...and she's Dutch.

https://www.itchyboots.com/
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Why not go and have a stay with a man that's ridden round the world a few times on a motorbike - including on an R1 - and soak up some of the learning?

https://www.nicksanders.com/
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

lostboy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:30 am Why not go and have a stay with a man that's ridden round the world a few times on a motorbike - including on an R1 - and soak up some of the learning?

That's Trinity's best made.

I've got a Ed March DVD somewhere that's quite amusing.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Having seen you tube stuff of people struggling, I think small is best, and simple to fix is pretty essential. A Himalayan sounds like a sound choice.

Unless of course you are doing a Charlie and Euan and have a couple of fully equipped support vehicles lurking a few miles away, then a GS or Africa Twin makes perfect sense.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

lostboy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:30 am Why not go and have a stay with a man that's ridden round the world a few times on a motorbike - including on an R1 - and soak up some of the learning?

I'm off there tomorrow as it happens. He's doing something in Ireland at the moment.
Lockdown refugee
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

anyone read the lone rider Elspeth beard first british woman to ride round the world BMW 600
books a good read . Vids her, how she progressed to that bike and set off.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 am Some of the Indian home market Himys had problems with the front ends snapping off due to constantly being ridden on rubbish roads.

It's also common for the frames on the Bullets to rust through/snap just under the left hand lower engine mount, again due to rough roads.

It just doesn't happen to the UK bikes as the roads here are better (unbelievable, I know). Saying that. I know that woman from Belgium (I think?) did a RTW trip on a Himy without much fuss.

EDIT:

Itchy Boots innit...and she's Dutch.

https://www.itchyboots.com/
I think the frame snapping is not as widespread as the internet suggests. You see the same photo of one with a snapped frame (that rode along a railway line and was jumped off of big drops) alleging to be different bikes. And apparently a dealer in India has dozens of snapped frames, but no one seems to know who this dealer is.

I remember the first Triumph 955's had issues with the headstock snapping/cracking, but issue addressed with no fuss.

Itchyboots rode her (Indian home market) bike, which cost around £2500, from India to her home in the Netherlands. Only issue she had was a burnt out clutch in Iran which was caused by her being mechanically unsympathetic when it bogged down in sand. She had taken a set of spare plates with her.

No support van, no sponsorship (apart from the odd service done by Enfield dealers on her route who had seen her videos), and no bullshit.

And they only rattle when you forget to put your earplugs in.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:03 am anyone read the lone rider Elspeth beard first british woman to ride round the world BMW 600
books a good read . Vids her, how she progressed to that bike and set off.
I only heard about her the other year,she was on the Brooklands channel on YouTube.

Myself I would rule out a big bike,to much weight & you would stand out more as a 'rich westerner',also the extra performance of a big motor would be wasted in a lot of the world.I would also be wary of having to much tech on the bike,read of someone being stuck in Morocco as the BMW imobiliser was playing up,same with a Triumph dash,not so sure what the KTM fuel pumps are like these days..
When we're allowed to travel again,hopefully 2022,I'm planning a trip to the Nordkapp,hoping to do a few stages of the Norwegian & Swedish parts of the TET & I'm buying what I think is the modern version of a Transalp,a CB500X,fast enough to get me to Denmark for the ferry,good fuel range & not to heavy.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

CB500X will have ABS, fuel injection and a load of other stuff to go wrong, you'll be fine going up to the north of Norway on it as the most off road you'll see is a gravel road
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Oooh, look what I've found

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185018127467 ... SwXzVgZ0FZ

Not that far from me and not silly money, it's probably horrible to ride

Think I'd rather have this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114960029760 ... SwwKRhK4hb
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:03 pm Oooh, look what I've found

Both look potentially good buys, although the first could be a bit pricey - depending on what comes with it. The second one is tempting. :)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm unlikely to buy either of them, and even less likely to ride round the world, I got bored and uncomfortable riding 6 hours to Cadwell Park and back the other weekend.
Honda Owner
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm CB500X will have ABS, fuel injection and a load of other stuff to go wrong, you'll be fine going up to the north of Norway on it as the most off road you'll see is a gravel road
Yes I know,it's about as minimal tech as I can find these days,unless I ride a 125 or something....
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:03 pm Oooh, look what I've found

The first one looks like a steed for the 'Distinguished Gentlemans ride''
Second one has Hipster Srambler project written all over it
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bustaspoke wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm
Second one has Hipster Srambler project written all over it
Which would be a shame. :cry:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire