Engine configurations

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: Engine configurations

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:28 am even having recently ridden the 765RS and 890 twin engines
Do you know why they call the 765RS a Street Triple?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its cause they make a rippling sound isn't it? You're supposed to say it quickly.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:11 pm No, it was a bog standard one. I got a loaner from Dobles one time which was a detuned, lower revving version with a low slung exhaust, Jesus that was unbelievable. Compare either to a SV650 for grunt and I just cant work out why anyone would want one?? MAybe if you're out on open roads where you can stretch its legs, it makes some some sense, but not round town, well to me anyway.
The CBF600 was the one with the low exhaust.

You don't need 'open roads' - I'm quite happy riding mine through the middle of London. You just use lower gears but you still don't need to rev its nuts off to get away. The Hornet's not quite as torquey as my XJ6 but neither are anything like a ZXR250, which I will admit needed 10k on the dial before you could pull away. It's a long time since I've ridden an SV but I had a fairly recent spin on a 650 V-Strom and was quite disappointed by how it didn't actually go any better than the XJ6.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I own two 4 stroke singles, a v-twin, a triple and an IL4 (which I bought today). Each is very different from each other, but the IL4 (Fazer 1000) is the one I like least. Maybe it will grow on me, but I don't think it will , as fast as it might be, it feels bland.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:42 am
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:28 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:57 am Has anyone ever ridden a il6? A bit wide for a bike, but Honda managed it.
Bmw K1600GT. Smooth as silk, pokey as hell, and sounds like a Porsche with the right pipe :D. I would.
They made them really lardy though. I preferred my K12GT as a more all-round, useable config. Nothing seems to fit the hole it left when they stopped making it.
Did you ever ride one? They look lardy, but that's just the bodywork, they handle just like any other K bike. (ie bloody well)
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:46 am
Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:42 am
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:28 am

Bmw K1600GT. Smooth as silk, pokey as hell, and sounds like a Porsche with the right pipe :D. I would.
They made them really lardy though. I preferred my K12GT as a more all-round, useable config. Nothing seems to fit the hole it left when they stopped making it.
Did you ever ride one? They look lardy, but that's just the bodywork, they handle just like any other K bike. (ie bloody well)
They're 50kg+ heavier than the K12GT. I never did get to ride one and I'm sure they ride OK it's just the transition from the K12 was from what was really a sport tourer to an LT/Goldwing type of bike. With the luggage off the K12 looked pretty slim and neat. It's down to personal likes/needs I suppose - I'd buy a s/h K12 over the 16 because it ticks more of the boxes I have on my list.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire