Oddest/daftest thing you've ridden/driven?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scootabout

Re: Oddest/daftest thing you've ridden/driven?

Post by Scootabout »

Probably the Saab 96 I co-owned with three friends in the late '70s. Two-stroke, with no oil reservoir, so you had to put a cup of oil in with each fill-up. Clapped-out engine, so clouds of blue smoke going uphill. Three-speed column change, with no synchromesh between 1st and 2nd.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:40 pm Probably the Saab 96 I co-owned with three friends in the late '70s. Two-stroke, with no oil reservoir, so you had to put a cup of oil in with each fill-up. Clapped-out engine, so clouds of blue smoke going uphill. Three-speed column change, with no synchromesh between 1st and 2nd.
Did it do that weird freewheel thing? I did wonder if/how they coped with that when they were racing/winning rallies.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:28 am
Scootabout wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:40 pm Probably the Saab 96 I co-owned with three friends in the late '70s. Two-stroke, with no oil reservoir, so you had to put a cup of oil in with each fill-up. Clapped-out engine, so clouds of blue smoke going uphill. Three-speed column change, with no synchromesh between 1st and 2nd.
Did it do that weird freewheel thing? I did wonder if/how they coped with that when they were racing/winning rallies.
I don't think the Saab had the free wheel on a closed throttle, Wartburgs did, I've raced one of those in Autocross, when you took your foot off the throttle it felt like it speeded up.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 am
I don't think the Saab had the free wheel on a closed throttle, Wartburgs did, I've raced one of those in Autocross, when you took your foot off the throttle it felt like it speeded up.
The 2T Saabs had it so that lubrication demand was reduced when travelling at speed with low throttle 'cos the lube is in the fuel etc...but, IIRC, they even retained it for a while on the 4T!
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It must be really strange, I never feel quite in control when freewheeling on a (motor)bike. I can only imagine what it was like for drivers like Erik Carlsson when driving at the limits. Brakes must have been beefy!
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:16 am
It must be really strange, I never feel quite in control when freewheeling on a (motor)bike. I can only imagine what it was like for drivers like Erik Carlsson when driving at the limits. Brakes must have been beefy!
They weren't on a Wartburg, it was about the same size as a Lada and had drums all round, on loose surfaces it went from nothing much to locked wheels very quickly, you had to cadence brake.

Fortunately it caught fire when we tried to weld a roll cage into it so we only raced it once.
Honda Owner
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

The 2T Saabs had it so that lubrication demand was reduced when travelling at speed with low throttle 'cos the lube is in the fuel etc...but, IIRC, they even retained it for a while on the 4T!
I don't have a clear recollection of that, maybe because it was such an odd thing to drive anyway. A friend who knows about old cars told me it had a freewheel (or was it flywheel?) and that this meant it wasn't necessary to double de-clutch despite the lack of synchromesh. All that effort I could have saved if I'd known..
Incidentally we were told we shouldn't go over 50 in it. I later discovered a couple of my co-owners hadn't exactly stuck to that. Maybe that was why it had a tendency to break down. One occasion was on a trip from Oxford to London to see a Gilbert & Sullivan performance (yep, 'fraid so) when it conked out in West London, so we had to finish the journey on the tube from West Ruislip.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Scootabout wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:25 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

I don't have a clear recollection of that, maybe because it was such an odd thing to drive anyway. A friend who knows about old cars told me it had a freewheel (or was it flywheel?) and that this meant it wasn't necessary to double de-clutch despite the lack of synchromesh. All that effort I could have saved if I'd known..
Incidentally we were told we shouldn't go over 50 in it. I later discovered a couple of my co-owners hadn't exactly stuck to that. Maybe that was why it had a tendency to break down. One occasion was on a trip from Oxford to London to see a Gilbert & Sullivan performance (yep, 'fraid so) when it conked out in West London, so we had to finish the journey on the tube from West Ruislip.
Dunno about the flywheel but it probably had synchro on everything but 1st gear. G&S? Some cracking tunes (better that than Gilbert O'Sullivan :D ).
How did you get home?
Voltaire
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Scootabout wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:25 pm One occasion was on a trip from Oxford to London to see a Gilbert & Sullivan performance (yep, 'fraid so) when it conked out in West London, so we had to finish the journey on the tube from West Ruislip.
Lucky you weren't headed to Penzance, then!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
David

Post by David »

Yes, eary Saabs had a freewheel, as did some of the "Auntie" Rovers (75, 95, 110's).

And yes, it obviated the need for synchro
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 pm
Dunno about the flywheel but it probably had synchro on everything but 1st gear. G&S? Some cracking tunes (better that than Gilbert O'Sullivan :D ).
How did you get home?
I don't remember for sure, but the car did have a habit of conking out, then reviving later - overheating, I suppose (?). So we may have retrieved it and driven it back.