Bike meets, do they still happen ? Do you attend ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: Bike meets, do they still happen ? Do you attend ?

Post by Taipan »

Whysub wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 am I lived not far from Gt Bentley, and went twice, the second time on the way home riding my XR650RSupermoto traffic police stopped me for some spurious reason. Never went back.

Used to do a loop ride from my house to Finchingfield, about 40 miles in total, great roads. Only ever did it during the week, excellent roads (many resurfaced for the Tour de France) and would detour to Hideout Leathers for a coffee. Trouble with that road at the weekend (and the roads from the M11 at Loughton through the Ongars and Rodings up to Finchingfield) is that bikes speed through the villages at 60 to 70 mph.

Used to go to the White Horse near Ongar and the Dick Turpin on the A127 and saw loads of idiots.

However, the Visordown Supermoto meets at Epping tea hut and the pub in Puckeridge were more a social event. Enjoyed those.

Now in Spain I'll stop at a bar near Novelda where lots of bikes stop, as its on a great route up into the mountains. Biggest group I see arriving there consists of three bikes, never see big groups. Most seem to ride on their own (in my view the safest way) and like talking about things other than their bikes. They even tolerate my appalling Spanish.

There is a mainly British group that meet up near my family's house near the coast. I spoke to one of them when I stopped at the cafe they congregate at on a Sunday, and after I thought "well, f*** you". You could only ride bikes abover a certain cc, had to abide "by rules" and wear had to wear club regalia on your jacket (similar to an Angels rocker). Tossers. Whats worse is that few of them can ride anywhere near safely in a group, and I have passed more than a few of them on on their litre plus bikes on my Himalayan on the nice fast twisty roads.

I would not be a member of a club that would have me as a member, and prefer to ride on my own, or with someone whose riding I trust.
Lol, I was one of those! :D I think the last bike meet i went to was there when I met you and the others. I drove there as I was babysitting my kids. I let them go in the park while I yakked with everyone. Then I left and realised I'd forgotten my kids ! :crazy: :? :lol:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Remember that well Taipan. Didn't know you abandoned your kids there.

I was under the impression the Dick Turpin was being demolished, but my brother told me it will be opening again in July.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Whysub wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 pm Remember that well Taipan. Didn't know you abandoned your kids there.

I was under the impression the Dick Turpin was being demolished, but my brother told me it will be opening again in July.
Most of the land behind it is owned by travellers. They ruin the local pubs, so will deffo kill the DT if it opens again. I think they were the main reason it shut before?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 pm Remember that well Taipan. Didn't know you abandoned your kids there.

You've met @Taipan

I thought he was some internet weirdo.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:40 pm

You've met @Taipan

I thought he was some internet weirdo.
I am an internet weirdo! :wtf:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bigyin wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:00 pm
Supermofo wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:18 am
Whysub wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 am However, the Visordown Supermoto meets at Epping tea hut and the pub in Puckeridge were more a social event. Enjoyed those.
I did a few of those. Awesome rides too with Veggie, Papercup, Beany, Nik, Jim etc. Every time I do the A10 by Hertford, which is a lot as I live in Herford I smile when I think of the wheelies up and down it before it opened :D
I remember a road ride down in Essex somewhere with loads from VD and some of the Supermoto lads turned up. First time i had met Papercup was when he overtook me on a tight right hander...on the outside ....using the verge as a berm as i was already set fairly left to see through the bend. :mrgreen:

Passed him on the shortly after as i was on a 600 sports bike then next tight corner he would come past me sideways and so it continued. Absolutely hilarious :thumbup:
Yup, that's pretty much how I remember him riding when I went out with them. I didn't see him much though as he just buggered off!
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Can't remember how it happened, or if it was arranged, but met up with Mad Roy and Papercup near Hanningfield on a freezing cold day. Papercup (aka Andy) let me loose on his KTM 300 two stroke with a Recluse auto clutch on it. Ridden many, many bikes over the years, but that one stays imprinted into my memory.

And yes, I've met Taipan AND followed him out of London on the T-Max he had, quite a few times.