Casual Motorcycle Jackets

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Casual Motorcycle Jackets

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 am I tried to but a set of leathers from Scott 20 years ago, I gave up as they were rude and disinterested.
LOL it's possible they may not have the same staff 20 years later :)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 am I tried to but a set of leathers from Scott 20 years ago, I gave up as they were rude and disinterested.
Disappointing. I had one of their 'Road' jackets (they still sell essentially the same thing now, or did when I last checked) which I bought at a show in maybe 92 or 93. It was a terrific jacket, tough, well-made and almost totally waterproof in day long courier use. It was last seen leaving for the US having been half-inched by my brother.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

All add another vote for Scott Leathers’ Road jacket. The website images make them look dreadful, but the reality was a fine-looking and superb jacket.
I found it depends on whom you talk to. I had the same disinterested experience with Jimmy Aird (who set up Scott Leathers). I’m amazed he ever sold a single jacket! But his son was friendly and helpful, and, thankfully, it’s his son whom I’ve seen on the Scott Leathers stand at more recent motorcycle shows (before the Coronapocalypse).

However good their clothing, Scott Leathers needs to take a leaf out of Hideout's customer service book. And they need to put their photographer and web designer out of their misery and stop under-selling their leathers through crap marketing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It was probably Jimmy Aird I spoke to, it was at the old Ally Pally show.
The quality of the leathers was superb, but his disinterest in selling them put me off.
Honda Owner
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Well - after spending some time actually doing research on Sunday - I have one of these turning up in an hour or so....
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/368034

VERY fast delivery from Sportsbikeshop - so let's hope it fits!

More photos on this site (of the oxblood one, which I considered, but couldn't find in my size anyway) : https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/merlin-lic ... blood.html
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am Well - after spending some time actually doing research on Sunday - I have one of these turning up in an hour or so....

More photos on this site (of the oxblood one, which I considered, but couldn't find in my size anyway) : https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/merlin-lic ... blood.html
I like that
Honda Owner
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

My Richa Fullmer turned up at the weekend and I can see why Weeksy raved about them. Good fit, unobtrusive D30 armour and a very good looking jacket IMO. I’d have been happy at £150, I’m over the moon at £67.50 delivered
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am Well - after spending some time actually doing research on Sunday - I have one of these turning up in an hour or so....

Reminds me of my first ever leather jacket that was my Dad's originally. It was a Lewis Leathers before they got silly money.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Well - that was disappointing.

Lovely jacket, but a couple of online review had said it comes up a bit small - so I ordered a 44* and it's like a bloody tent.

I hope I can find one in a 40.....

(I'm a 42" chest)
non quod, sed quomodo
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 pm
Lovely jacket, but a couple of online review had said it comes up a bit small - so I ordered a 44* and it's like a bloody tent.

(I'm a 42" chest)
I find often people lie like a cheap watch about their sizing
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Supermofo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:38 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 pm

(I'm a 42" chest)
I find often people lie like a cheap watch about their sizing
:D

At least the sportsbikeshop has a decent returns policy and paractise.

I've found a size 40 on Ebay from 'bikersworldonline' and given that the 44 seemed to correlate pretty closely with the measurements found elsewhere, a 40 should fit nicely, assuming the measurements for the 40 are accurate!
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:22 pm I almost bought one of these...

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-eq ... lsrc=aw.ds
It's a bit Action Man WW2 British Infantry jacket
You say that like it’s a bad thing !
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:22 pm I almost bought one of these...

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-eq ... lsrc=aw.ds
It's a bit Action Man WW2 British Infantry jacket
You say that like it’s a bad thing !
Recollections may differ
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Nidge wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:01 pm My Richa Fullmer turned up at the weekend and I can see why Weeksy raved about them. Good fit, unobtrusive D30 armour and a very good looking jacket IMO. I’d have been happy at £150, I’m over the moon at £67.50 delivered
How true to size? Do they come up small , it or as per size chart?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Reminds me of my first ever leather jacket that was my Dad's originally. It was a Lewis Leathers before they got silly money.
Yeah i thought the same, very retro with the padding on the shoulders

This was my daughter wearing the same bike jacket i bought when i was 17 but quite a few years on when she was 13 so a bit big on her, no idea where it is now ...was her first ever time pillion on a bike as her mum wouldnt let her go on it till then (we were separated at the time so i had to give in till daughter kicked off at mum to let her get on the bike with me )

Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 pm
Nidge wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:01 pm My Richa Fullmer turned up at the weekend and I can see why Weeksy raved about them. Good fit, unobtrusive D30 armour and a very good looking jacket IMO. I’d have been happy at £150, I’m over the moon at £67.50 delivered
How true to size? Do they come up small , it or as per size chart?
Per the size chart I’d say. I wear a large in most jackets and this is a good fit
Potter

Post by Potter »

You have to try them on.

I need a new one because my lad has pinched my trusty decades old one, I can't even remember the make of it, I think it's Hein Gerike own brand from at least 15yrs ago, it's worn and retro cool before retro was cool. He wears it every day to school now he's riding.

I like the look of the Merlin Stockton and the Revit Cordite, but I know from past experience that you need to try jackets on to see how they fit.
I have a Merlin jacket back in the UK but I can't remember what it's called, it's nice and it doesn't get worn much but it's nice enough to wear casually as well as on the bike. A quick google and I think it's a Miller, it's like suede and it's nice but doesn't fit as snugly or feel as old school as my trusty old jacket I mentioned above.

I like Belstaff, the Ariel is very nice, definitely casual enough to wear as a casual jacket even if you're nowhere near the bike, but I think it's discontinued. Whatever replaced it looks nice too, I can't recall what they called them. I like the look of some other wax jackets (Merlin et al) but compared to Belstaff they simply don't look or fit as nice.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 am You have to try them on.
Agree fully.

Potter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 am I like Belstaff, the Ariel is very nice, definitely casual enough to wear as a casual jacket even if you're nowhere near the bike, but I think it's discontinued. Whatever replaced it looks nice too, I can't recall what they called them. I like the look of some other wax jackets (Merlin et al) but compared to Belstaff they simply don't look or fit as nice.
https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Belstaff-Arie ... QcQAvD_BwE

That's not bad - not a bad price for a Belstaff as well. (normally they're stupid prices - as I well know having just bought one for the GF for her birthday)
non quod, sed quomodo
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Rockburner wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 am
Agree fully.

Potter wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 am I like Belstaff, the Ariel is very nice, definitely casual enough to wear as a casual jacket even if you're nowhere near the bike, but I think it's discontinued. Whatever replaced it looks nice too, I can't recall what they called them. I like the look of some other wax jackets (Merlin et al) but compared to Belstaff they simply don't look or fit as nice.

That's not bad - not a bad price for a Belstaff as well. (normally they're stupid prices - as I well know having just bought one for the GF for her birthday)
Be careful. I ordered some Daytona boots from FC Moto (via eBay) and got hit with an extra £77 import charges so ended up paying about the same as I would from a UK supplier but with the inevitable customs delays
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nidge wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am
Rockburner wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 am
Agree fully.

Be careful. I ordered some Daytona boots from FC Moto (via eBay) and got hit with an extra £77 import charges so ended up paying about the same as I would from a UK supplier but with the inevitable customs delays
And the fact things can be VERY hard to warranty/return now.